Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S: Yoke or Nope?

Assuming Tesla offers the choice, what would you order?

• Yoke

Votes: 111 51.2%
  • Nope (round wheel)

Votes: 106 48.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s 2 things that could make me not want the yoke, if there are a lot of problems with using it or if the wife truly hates it. But I don’t think either will happen.

And like any other refresh order mine has the yoke optioned.

There have been many who want a driver's instrument cluster on the 3 and Y so much so that we have a couple 3rd party after market accessories with added features. Yet Tesla doesn't yet offer this as an option.

Now who begged Tesla to offer a Yoke in place of the steering wheel before this was announced? I don't recall a single person in all of social media ever suggesting it. My opinion is that those who now say they prefer it over a round wheel would go for anything Tesla tells them they want before they knew they wanted it. These people would probably say they prefer square wheels if Tesla told them to want square wheels.

Notice that Tesla hasn't made any sales pitch describing why the Yoke is superior to a steering wheel.

Maybe Tesla really wants to kill off the MS and MX by offering dumb stuff ( IMO ) that no one has wanted. They can claim that sales fell off a cliff for these cars and are now discontinued.

How many of the 79 Yokesters actually ordered the S with a Yoke?
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716729420078133248?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^716729420078133248|twgr^|twcon^s1_
That's someone asking 5 years ago for pretty much exactly what we ended up getting. I remember there were renders of a yoke that were flying around, but they ended up settling on the round wheel. Fast forward to the Roadster 2 reveal, and they show a yoke steering wheel in there (although that hasn't seen production yet, and concept cars tend to show many features that don't make it to production). Then we see it on the 2021 S - it would seem it's been a long time coming.

I do hope they give people the option as it is a bit polarizing, and I really think they will, as my preorder had an option listed for "Yoke Steering", despite there not being an option I saw to change it to otherwise. Honestly though, if I'm getting "the quickest production car ever", that's pretty exotic, and just maybe the car should be a little exotic to show that... (yes, I did choose Yoke)

Regular wheel but I'd still get it if they put in the yoke. However, I'd imagine that most Model S and X owners would be repelled by the yoke (regardless of the results of this poll, because the average TMC user is more open to change than the average S/X owner), while very few if any would not buy the car because of a normal
There have been many who want a driver's instrument cluster on the 3 and Y so much so that we have a couple 3rd party after market accessories with added features. Yet Tesla doesn't yet offer this as an option.

Now who begged Tesla to offer a Yoke in place of the steering wheel before this was announced? I don't recall a single person in all of social media ever suggesting it. My opinion is that those who now say they prefer it over a round wheel would go for anything Tesla tells them they want before they knew they wanted it. These people would probably say they prefer square wheels if Tesla told them to want square wheels.

Notice that Tesla hasn't made any sales pitch describing why the Yoke is superior to a steering wheel.

Maybe Tesla really wants to kill off the MS and MX by offering dumb stuff ( IMO ) that no one has wanted. They can claim that sales fell off a cliff for these cars and are now discontinued.

How many of the 79 Yokesters actually ordered the S with a Yoke?

Tesla wouldn't make a total interior redesign, an objectively well-designed one that has little to no resemblance to any of its other cars, put in new battery technology and introduce tons of new features on cars they plan on killing off. But yes, nobody asked for the yoke.

Face will not hit the steering wheel rim in accident. Gives additional space for the airbag to cushion.

When autonomous driving gets here, the yoke can more easily be recessed into the dash.

This is something that has been on airplanes and performance boats for years. Gives far better visuals for the instruments as well.
agreed...but I hope there won't be any snapped neck because of no rim on the wheel

Well, either it is an option or not. Fact is there has been both yoke and wheel witnessed at Fremont in the shipping lot. It may be a state DOT decision.

I don't buy the face hitting the steering wheel as I wear a seatbelt and have an airbag. Find another excuse!

I only agree it is different, not necessarily better. Some people will like it because they can be seen as different.

Glad I don't need to be concerned about it.

on a separate note, while brilliant, sometimes Elon REALLY talks out of his behind..

On the most recent Rogan podcast interview, Elon stated that with "airbag tech today, seatbelts are useless/serve no purpose". (Hey Elon....there is still this thing called inertia and gravity and getting thrown from back seat to front or......)

But then, few mins later, he's able to spout off numbers off the top of his head around earths gravity, times of year to get to mars, co efficient tangents, complex math equations..etc.

He's all OVER THE PLACE. :)

Reactions: TessP100D
on a separate note, while brilliant, sometimes Elon REALLY talks out of his behind..

On the most recent Rogan podcast interview, Elon stated that with "airbag tech today, seatbelts are useless/serve no purpose".
Let's see if the new and yoked Model S has seatbelts. With Elon's laser focus on profit, I could see 5 seatbelts per car to be a significant cost saving. :p

I voted yoke, but I know that I am a creature of habit. Driving a right hand drive car in Ireland a couple of years ago I was comfortable shifting with my left hand, but I kept looking the wrong direction for the rear view mirror.

I remember in an interview, Elon was asked if they used focus groups like other automobile manufacturers. His answer was no, we just design what we like.

I voted yoke, but I know that I am a creature of habit. Driving a right hand drive car in Ireland a couple of years ago I was comfortable shifting with my left hand, but I kept looking the wrong direction for the rear view mirror.

I remember in an interview, Elon was asked if they used focus groups like other automobile manufacturers. His answer was no, we just design what we like.
I remember an adage that goes like this: Focus groups are to research as what bumper stickers are to philosophy. In other words, focus groups are garbage.

It’s great that Tesla designs what they like Instead of relying on focus group-based designs. The Pontiac Aztek (really ugly) was likely a focus-group design.

If the excuse to having a yoke is because race cars have them then I say Yoke is fine for the Plaid+ But favor traditional wheel for the long range model. I have tested driving with the two hands at 9 and 3 o'clock for the yoke and while not as comfortable as a one hand at 6PM for AP driving, I'll lighten my objection to the Yoke but only for the Plaid+

I think focus groups can be of some benefit but not if the group is too small and if you let them dictate direction. I also don't favor being forced into accepting something just because a cult group accepts everything the cult god says to accept it. I remain happy I bought my Model S in 2020. Best car I ever owned! Tesla should give customers the option in the configuration.

"... my right hand on the yoke, where it belongs, I'd have honked with a fingertip in an instant."
Yea, I'd like to see you backing out (turned around), turning the steering wheel 180 degrees or more while your thumb never moves. Heck, put your right hand at 3pm position on the wheel, turn around so you are looking backwards, you probably can't even do 180 degrees without letting go of the steering wheel.

All that said, let's just give it a few months of people actually using it and see how they like it, and how many people will blame it for accidents. Personally, I plan to test drive the car to experience it for myself, but not holding on to much hope. But you never know, if I do fall in love with it, I might just pick me up a new Tesla instead of an eTron GT RS or a Taycan Cross Turismo (like I bought 2 Model S's while waiting for Model X, and then 2 more S's more because I thought they were awesome).