Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S100D will not supercharge to stated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to fully charge my four-month old S100D at a supercharger over the weekend, and it would not charge to the full 335 mile stated range for a new S100D. It got to 333 miles and wouldn't charge the remaining couple miles -- the display continued to indicate it was still charging, but changed from amount of time remaining to charge of 5 mins to "calculating time remaining". After 22 mins like that, indicating it was charging but calculating time remaining, it still never got past 333 miles. This is in CA, on a nice 75 degree afternoon.

I understand the batteries lose some range capacity over time, but this car is new ... and it is already below advertised/stated full range. Two issues, either it never could reach full stated range of 335, or it could at time of delivery and already has lost 2 miles of charge range. That is concerning for the range over life of ownership. Curious have overs actually tried charging to full stated range (vs 90%) on a new S100, in the first 1-4 months, and got the full 335 miles?

I had a S85 from Dec 2015 thru mid-Dec 2018, when I traded in for a S100D. The 85 would charge to full range on the few occasions I tried, and over the three years lost about 2 total miles of range based on the range of a 90% charge - I only supercharged to full twice. Like with the prior car, over the past four months with the new S100D I've charged with nema plug in my garage overnight, about every two to three nights, at 40 amps, about half the time to about 80% ... sometimes less, and half the time to the 90% daily line. About three times on the new S I've used supercharging, and stopped at about 95-97% each time because it slowed so much near the end, and it wasn't worth the wait. This last weekend was first time I tried to get a full range charge.

I think the last 1% or so is used to re-balance the pack. It is likely that it would have completed 100% charge had you waited long enough.

I wouldn't be too concerned with a loss of 2 miles. Apparently battery degradation is steepest during the first year or so and then the curve flattens a bit.

Four months old is not new-- the decrease in battery capacity is greatest in the first few months, then levels off to a shallower slope. Besides, the range displayed is just an estimate based on an algorithm that is more or less accurate dependent on recent charging history, as batteries can not report the exact state of charge.

Bottom line, chill out and enjoy your car. It's fine.

I waited at least 22 mins (took pics after I first noticed the change from 5 mins remaining to calculating time remaining, and again 22 mins later ... so may have been 25+ mins before I finally stopped it). It never reached "charge completed" - whether that is a lower than full stated range ability or a decreased range. If it doesn't "complete" on a supercharger after 22+ mins at a stalled 98/99%, than a charging spot won't open up from someone waiting for their app to let them know charging has completed, as they will not get a notice because it just keeps going ... and no idle fees ever apply b/c charging isn't complete.

Tried to fully charge my four-month old S100D at a supercharger over the weekend, and it would not charge to the full 335 mile stated range for a new S100D. It got to 333 miles and wouldn't charge the remaining couple miles -- the display continued to indicate it was still charging, but changed from amount of time remaining to charge of 5 mins to "calculating time remaining". After 22 mins like that, indicating it was charging but calculating time remaining, it still never got past 333 miles. This is in CA, on a nice 75 degree afternoon.
Uh, this is a joke you are making? Right? Seriously, you are concerned about 2 "rated" miles out of over 330? (< 1 percent variance). I wonder if you are just pulling our chain on this one :)

Last edited:
I think the last 1% or so is used to re-balance the pack. It is likely that it would have completed 100% charge had you waited long enough.

I wouldn't be too concerned with a loss of 2 miles. Apparently battery degradation is steepest during the first year or so and then the curve flattens a bit.

What does first-year mean??? Someone can drive 5000~15000 miles a year while others drive 15000~25000 miles a year. That's a huge difference......Is rapid degradation even a thing for the first year or is it the first 10000 miles.

I waited at least 22 mins (took pics after I first noticed the change from 5 mins remaining to calculating time remaining, and again 22 mins later ... so may have been 25+ mins before I finally stopped it). It never reached "charge completed" - whether that is a lower than full stated range ability or a decreased range. If it doesn't "complete" on a supercharger after 22+ mins at a stalled 98/99%, than a charging spot won't open up from someone waiting for their app to let them know charging has completed, as they will not get a notice because it just keeps going ... and no idle fees ever apply b/c charging isn't complete.
Who waits for their car to go from 98% charged to 100% charged?

If it didn't finish charging, it wasn't finshed charging. (And BTW, going to 100% on a Supercharger, especially in LA isn't really great ettiquette). The batteries are still balancing and this could take a long time, yes, longer than 20 minutes and why it is recommended to not do it on a Supercharger.

But 0.9% isn't worh posting over.

My S100D never showed a 335 mile range when 100% charged. It really doesn't make a lot of difference for me since I don't depend on range miles but use % instead. In 22k miles of cross country trips I keep the battery between 15% and 90%. Maybe at a hotel with destination charging I'll let it go to 100%. I guess I'll have to see what the cluster says my 100% is now. Looking at the CAN data, BMS full range is 325.

bigboost - thanks for your comparison info. I hadn't ever tried to get a full charge since getting the new S in December, so I don't know. Wanted to see as I was planning a trip and had time to supercharge, and wanted to get an idea on how long it would take to get a full charge from 10%, knowing it slows down as it gets closer to full (and the time to completion keeps changing), but it never finished ... listing it was still charging with no end time calculation.

ewoodrick - hmm, ettiquette? Was one of 5 cars charging at a 24 charger location. Maybe you should think about ettiquette

TexasEV - who waits for a full charge? someone at an almost empty charger location, planning a trip and wanting to see how long it actually takes to get a full charge from 10%, and doing so waiting in the lot for their child to finish an event in the same shopping center and come out.

Its an issue that the car won't finish charging, won't provide an estimated time remaining, and keeps indicating its charging, but never adds more range.

Unless you have tons of time, as you found out, you usually don't want to charge to 100% during a trip. If you can make the next Supercharger with a comfortable margin at 80% or less then go. If you charge to near 100% it can take 40+ minutes longer than if you filled to 70% and stopped at the next Supercharger and added 30%. Same total charge, but charging below 80% if much faster. Of course sometimes you need the 100% range to make the next Supercharger and have no choice.

On a trip the last 3 miles of range are not worth waiting for. Pretty much give it an hour to charge and leave. I'm sure the charge would have completed eventually.

• Informative
Reactions: ESoCal
Its an issue that the car won't finish charging, won't provide an estimated time remaining, and keeps indicating its charging, but never adds more range.

No, it's not. It's fully normal, expected behavior. Once it hits 100% it will sit there and trickle charge, balancing cells and doing other fancy battery maintenance activities for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour or more. It most definitely will eventually complete and say "charging complete".

Kim from Like Tesla mentioned this in a past video. If you’re usually only charging to 80% , you can try a full charge followed by a very good discharge a couple of times to try to recalibrate the battery reading.

That being said, I noticed the same problem on my model 3 and doing this didn’t work. Service center said it was normal even though the car was basically new.