Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S60 loaded or New S90D without PUP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
Hi All-

I have 3 days left before my 7 day change window closes and my order confirms. I need some advice.

Right now, I am looking at ordering a fully loaded S60 for use in daily commutes on AZ. I don't need AWD as Arizona is great driving conditions all year round, and my commute is only 25 miles each way/day. So the S60 should suffice and be enjoyable with all the added niceties.

However, if I spent more $, and somehow convinced the wife, I'd really like to pull the trigger on a 90D only for the added performance. Range probably isn't a needed factor, but it's nice to have. Having had several high performance German cars in the past, I'm just concerned a S60 wouldn't be as thrilling as a 90D and I'd regret not buying more power.

In order to make it work financially, I'd have to pair down a few options. I'd have to remove the Premium Upgrades Package. I only really want it for the lift gate, but even that I can live without. However, the only Model Ss I've ever sat in always had the PUP. So, will I miss out not having the PUP? What is an interior like without it? I'd still opt for the Next Generation Seats, but I have no idea how the interior looks without the PUP.

Thanks for the advice.

The only Tesla I've test driven was a 75D with the PUP. It was nice on the inside, but frankly, I didn't punch it to test performance at all as the sales lady was talking my ear off the whole time.

Wish I would have been able to test just a S60 but they didn't have any at the time.

That being said, my ultimate question is basically - to those that have compared PUP to non-PUP - what is it like? Is it noticeably missing interior finishes that make it lacking?

I sort of regret not getting the 90D.
I have a 70D (with the 75 battery), which is damn quick, but as you get used to the car you start to crave even more performance.
The non-upgraded audio is very very good, if you're tight on funds I would definitely skip the audio upgrade.
Also stock wheels, and textile seats are fine. Textile actually better than leather in hot climate.

Reactions: hingisfan
I haven't driven the S60 but it has the same motor I believe as my S85. The battery just can't put in quite the same power. There is only 0.1 second difference in the 0-60 time so it should feel about the same. The S90D is faster but not in a shocking way. For that you need a PD. I had a P85D for a loaner and that was significantly faster than my 90D. The difference between the P85D and 90D felt much greater than between the S85 and 90D. The only time you need the PD is when you really want to impress a friend. I would stick with the S60 and save yourself $23,500.

You won't notice any improvement in the interior with PUP. Maybe in the dark, but you won't miss it if you've never had it. I use the power liftgate a lot and would miss it. Of course you could move to Canada where it is standard. :)

I've never sat in textile but lots of people here really like them. I like the next-gen seats more than the original leather. You really should try them.

SAS and UHF aren't worth the money and you sure don't need sub-zero.

Over 80% of Tesla's are ordered with Pano. Makes no difference to me. I prefer a quieter car so I never open mine.

So if I were you I would get S60 with PUP, leather if you like it, AP2.0 enhanced, Pano if you like it, and your favorite color.

• Funny
Reactions: webbbcam
Agree with @Footer, performance is what you use to show off, the luxery is what you enjoy every day. I made the exact same evaluation when I configured my S90; the bigger battery because I travel 120 miles there and back every week.

The acceleration thing is nice, but at the same time it is quite emotionless. I drive a Porsche now, and flooring it makes it scream like a beast in terror and makes all your arm hairs stand up . Never felt the same in the Tesla.

Agree with @Footer, performance is what you use to show off, the luxery is what you enjoy every day. I made the exact same evaluation when I configured my S90; the bigger battery because I travel 120 miles there and back every week.

The acceleration thing is nice, but at the same time it is quite emotionless. I drive a Porsche now, and flooring it makes it scream like a beast in terror and makes all your arm hairs stand up . Never felt the same in the Tesla.

Your arm hairs are more resilient than mine. Flooring my car is still a little terrifying :)

To the OP, I would go with the performance and range...

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
I was in the same situation and I ended up with just the 60. The 60 is plenty fast for everyday driving and because of instant torque it feels even faster.
My friends are still impressed with the speed, especially at highway speeds. Both models look identical on the outside and not getting PUP you lose a lot of the features that come with luxury cars these days. Which is why I couldn't justify paying over 20k for a car that's a second faster and gave me extra range that I really didn't need.

Hi All-

I have 3 days left before my 7 day change window closes and my order confirms. I need some advice.

Right now, I am looking at ordering a fully loaded S60 for use in daily commutes on AZ. I don't need AWD as Arizona is great driving conditions all year round, and my commute is only 25 miles each way/day. So the S60 should suffice and be enjoyable with all the added niceties.

However, if I spent more $, and somehow convinced the wife, I'd really like to pull the trigger on a 90D only for the added performance. Range probably isn't a needed factor, but it's nice to have. Having had several high performance German cars in the past, I'm just concerned a S60 wouldn't be as thrilling as a 90D and I'd regret not buying more power.

In order to make it work financially, I'd have to pair down a few options. I'd have to remove the Premium Upgrades Package. I only really want it for the lift gate, but even that I can live without. However, the only Model Ss I've ever sat in always had the PUP. So, will I miss out not having the PUP? What is an interior like without it? I'd still opt for the Next Generation Seats, but I have no idea how the interior looks without the PUP.

Thanks for the advice.

Per the recent Motortrend MS vs Bolt comparison, the MS had a 5.0 0-60 time. Not too shabby and it'll feel plenty quick...unless you test drive a Performance model.

Regarding the PUP, there were a number of included items that made me order my car with it. After a month with my car, I'd probably still opt for the package.

Nicer interior trim - definitely appreciate this. The alcantara trim on the dashboard is a great finishing touch. Although I feel the door panels are still too plastic, and a notch below what's found in other luxury brand models. The interior LED lighting is also underwhelming, especially compared to the ambient lighting options offered by MB and BMW.

Power liftgate - definitely appreciate this feature.

HEPA filtration system - thought this was a gimmick, but it works great.

Lighted door handles - looks nice, but should be standard.

LED turning lights - disappointed with this feature. Don't really see a big improvement.

LED fog lights - like this option, mainly for aesthetics.

Quick connection phone dock - not a fan. My phone won't fit unless I remove its case.

Hard to say that the PUP is worth the $3k asking price. But unlike most owners, I decided not to order the Pano roof so the PUP was easy to justify cost wise. My old E63's Pano roof had so many noise issues that drove me crazy. Had a P85+ loaner last week and its Pano roof was squeaking loudly. But I assume recent MS builds have better fit and finish.

One thing to consider that has been overlooked is the acceleration from 60-90. I would imagine that the 90D would have more "oomph" in those times where you need faster acceleration on the interstate or in other times of need when already at higher speeds.

Just a little something that you may want to take into consideration depending on your use cases.

IMG_0740.JPG
I just got a loaner without PUP and the car feels cheap. The steering wheel, the dash, side panel, and arm rest feel like plastic.
It's an older preface lift 85 so maybe the current non PUP might be better.