TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New S60 or used 2014 S85?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mrtian97, Mar 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

I am still going back and forth and have time till Aug to decide or longer if needed. Lease bmw return in August and have another lease Fiat as 2nd car. Have reservation Model 3 but like Model S better.

Knowing new S60 will be discontinue April 16, like to get the forum thought:
    1. Basic new S60 or used CPO 2014 S85? which would be better. Plan to keep the car at least 5 yrs and mainly weekend car (3 ppl in the family) as my daily drive would be the fiat 500e

2. what's the difference between 2014 S85 vs P85 vs P85+. which one will hold up better as used car? Looking to budget $55,000 plus sales tax and no older than 2014

Thanks for the inputs

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I'd go with the new 60 - lots of little improvements, Autopilot, and much better active safety features.

3. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Thanks, due to budget, if I buy new, I won't be buying the AP, just leather seat

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

But you'll have the hardware, and you can always buy AP later, when it's more fully developed. Even Full Self Driving if Tesla follows through like they plan to. It's a much more capable car, and the only thing you lose is ~50 miles of battery range that you might not need.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Tam

Tam Active Member

If I can remember:

S85 is base of 85
    P85 is performance with "insane mode" which accelerates faster than S85
    P85+ is P85 plus "ludicrous mode" which accelerates faster than P85

They all should all hold up the same.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
  6. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

#6 P85DBeast, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    The P85D has insane mode.
    The P85DL and or the P90DL with ludicrous added as an option. Like the current P100D.
    Edit: The P85's and P85+. Were only available with SPORT mode.

As the P85, and P85+. The only difference is in the suspension, wheels and tires. Motor, inverter and all other options are identical. Officially (from the Model S Design Page), P85+ has
    upgraded dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars, and tires (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2), the rear tires are 20mm wider and staggered for improved acceleration on low grip surfaces. Range improves 6-12 miles over regular 21" wheels.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Unless I'm very confused, Insane and Ludicrous are both only on PXXD dual motor Performance cars - I think the only options on the older cars were normal and sport?

The difference between the P85+ and P85 is in the suspension, which is stiffer, and in the wheels, 21" staggered. Both are RWD only, and both have the same power output, though the P85+ is sometimes slightly faster due to the fatter rubber.

The S85 has the same battery pack and a similar inverter/motor pack (our forum experts have said it's physically the same, but it carries a different part number,) to the P85, but is tunes to a lower output and acceleration.

8. Tam

Tam Active Member

I now just looked it up:

Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

RWD P85 is 4.2 seconds and costed $93,400 while RWD P85+ is 4.0 seconds and costed $94,900

It's a bargained price difference of $1,500.

9. Tam

Tam Active Member

Thanks for the clarification. You are right. My memory is bad.

10. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Get the 60 and drive it every day. Sell the fiat - save on insurance.

• Like x 1
  11. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Thanks, my fiat is so cheap, only $65/month for the lease , drives pretty well. I always have 2 cars, prior to the fiat, I have Corvette. The fiat was meant to try out electric car and I love it, can't seem to go back to ICE even with the mew bmw 5 body styles. car pool and not having to line up to fill gas at costco

12. agloutney

agloutney Member

I'd go for the 60. I wouldn't even bother with leather seats. I just received a 60D with the revised standard seats and like them more than my leather ones from 2014.

13. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

New S60 is a way to go, in my opinion

14. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Thanks for the feedback, seems the consensus is going with the new base S60 vs going with used 2014 S85 or P85.
    is it that much difference in improvement between the 2014 vs 2017 model?
    I can get the Federal tax credit with the new S60

15. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Two generations of autonomous hardware - lots of new sensors and safety features. Better aero, newer battery chemistry with higher energy density. New motorized charge port, folding mirrors, and a thousand little things.

Any Tesla is a really nice car, but frankly, yes, they made the car a lot better in just three years IMO. They also took away my favorite colors and interiors, but that's just life.

16. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

I had the same dilemma and ended up with a new S60.

I went leather but if I was shopping today the new premium style textile seats would probably be my choice.

17. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

Go with the S60. You can add AP later if you decide you want it. You'll also be able to unlock the battery making the car an S75 if you end up needing the range in the future. Also, if you're the kind of person that keeps a car for a while, you'll have the full battery warranty with the S60. The S60 is a pretty good deal that'll be going away soon.

18. Troy

Troy Active Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    You could consider buying a CPO S60 or S60D now and then switching to a Model 3 75D in December this year. The price should start around $47,000 including dual motors but before other options. Buying any Tesla now will move your Model 3 reservation to the top of the list. Listen HERE from 48:13 to 49:08. Based on your location, you should expect the Model 3 within this year if you buy a Tesla now. The Model 3 75D will have more range than any 85 kWh Model S and better performance than the S85.

In this scenario, you would get the full federal tax credits with the Model 3 because it will last until the end of Q1 2018 in worst case scenario, although the end of Q2 2018 is also likely. See my message here for details. The rules are explained here (scroll down and expand the "Phaseout" section).

19. Lithivm

Lithivm Member

I was going thru the same thing but needed AWD since I live in nj. I ended up with a CPO 85D

20. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

New 60
    Skip leather, get basic seats, they are excellent.
    Get AP

• Like x 1