Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S60 or used 2014 S85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, stay away from the P85+.
Gets out pitchfork...

From videos, stories and from conversations with P85+ owners, they say it
slays tires.
Puts away pitchfork.

I killed my first set of staggered 21's in 6k miles. Granted my alignment was a little out of wack for that though and I was new to the car, so I most def drove...spirited. I have square 19" snow tire setup on now and tread wear is much reduced, helped by more conservative driving habits over the winter.

• Helpful
Reactions: Max P90D
At this point AP1 is still much better than AP2, which won't be the case for long, as AP2 will first catch up then surpass AP1. But when will the difference between AP2 and AP1 be greater than the difference between AP1 and no autopilot? A long time.

In my opinion, if you're gonna go with the CPO car, definitely make sure to get an AP1 one. Which is a problem because the inventory for CPO AP1 cars is very limited right now. As such, getting the new S60 is a good option. Skip leather - people almost unanimously seem to think textile is better, although IMHO it does look hell of a lot cheaper.

I got an AP1 (2015) 85D for $57,000. It's pretty option-stripped (red + tech + ap), but it's still quite a bit cheaper than a comparable new S60 (which is $71,700 after incentives with destination).

So for me, the choice was:

- Get a new S60 with AP2 (which is inferior to AP1 but reach parity soon) for $71,700, and bear the brunt of quick depreciation since I'll be the original owner, plus I won't get my $7,500 back for another year and the cost for today will be $79,200. Also, you get the new fascia - whether you like it or not, it's the new one, and I'd want it if I could get it.

- Get a CPO S 85D with AP1. Almost comparable warranty, very nicely working AP1, 60 miles of extra range, much faster 0-60 (4.2 seconds official - reported as low as 3.75 stock - instead of 5.5s for S60). For $14,700 cheaper. Plus it was in my region so no destination charge. Plus it's already been through the harshest curve of depreciation.

Of course, there are other things too - newer Teslas apparently have touches here and there that make the car better overall, that 'new car smell' and feel that I absolutely do not care about but is important for some people, and the PUP actually is superior to the tech package, so it's not a super fair comparison.

For me the choice was pretty clear, to be honest. If in 2 years we achieve FSD, I will admit defeat, and get an AP2 Model S... CPO, of course :D