Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S60 or used 2014 S85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the same dilemma, still undecided, I figure I have till April 16.
It's interesting that most inputs suggest the textile seat vs leather. Is Tesla's leather that bad or their textile seat that good? I just figure if you are buying $70k car, leather seat should be a must?

Well I'll be that guy.... I love my loaded to the hilt (for what was available at the time) CPO P85+. I'd love a new fancy performance S with autopilot, premium interior, Smart Air suspension, upgraded audio, Carbon Fiber interior, Pano, 21" wheels and all that.... but sadly I can't seem to find one for $59k, which is what I paid for the CPO P85+ with every single available option at the time of manufacture.

You get one hell of a great car with the CPO program at a great price.

New S60 vs 2014 anything, no doubt. If you drive a lot and your time is worth anything,
I am still going back and forth and have time till Aug to decide or longer if needed. Lease bmw return in August and have another lease Fiat as 2nd car. Have reservation Model 3 but like Model S better.

Knowing new S60 will be discontinue April 16, like to get the forum thought:
1. Basic new S60 or used CPO 2014 S85? which would be better. Plan to keep the car at least 5 yrs and mainly weekend car (3 ppl in the family) as my daily drive would be the fiat 500e

2. what's the difference between 2014 S85 vs P85 vs P85+. which one will hold up better as used car? Looking to budget $55,000 plus sales tax and no older than 2014

Thanks for the inputs

New S60 hands down vs 2014 anything. It has the 2nd generation autopilot hardware so you can always software upgrade later to full autonomy if you choose, and even the 75 battery if you keep the car a long time and want more range a few years down the road. If your time is worth anything at all, you'll end up unlocking the self driving when it comes online - and be able to relax, close your eyes, read, etc. Accordingly to Tesla a new S60 will pass the small overlap frontal crash test without giving you a concussion or skull fracture - which builds prior to Jan 23 2017 (including the 2014's obviously) may not.

Don't waste $3K on leather if budget is an issue - the textile seats are just as good and will keep you cooler in the summer time and wear better over time while looking sharp. Get the glass roof instead to open up the cabin and/or the air suspension for a slightly smoother ride.

@mrtian97,

If you are planning on doing a lot of highway trips the extra range of the 85 will be useful. Starting the day with more miles allows less charging time, and you also may get more miles during your meal stops, requiring only 10-15 minute stops at other superchargers. If you are going off the supercharger network, the extra range is even more useful.

However, if you are going to use the car primarily or exclusively in the greater metro area, the new 60 will be the better choice, no matter how large your greater metro area is.

Good Luck with your choice,

GSP

I would get a recent 60/75(D) CPO, best of both worlds or a 60/75(D) inventory to get the fed tax credit. You may be able to find one with unlimited SC as well if it matters to you.

Here is CPO one. I can't do grey interiors myself, but in case you like them...
60 kWh Model S 5YJSA1S12EFP65799 | Tesla

Note that this 2014 model has the old 60 kWh battery. The new 60 with a software locked 75 kWh battery wasn't offered until June 2016 (per Wikipedia).

GSP

If you don't think you would ever upgrade to autopilot and you'd rather save money the you could get a used S85 in the $30k-$40k range. Here a data point from ours. We were at 100k miles and I called to see what Tesla would give as the preliminary tradin offer and they offered $29,300. So you can buy a 2-3 year old Tesla for a relative bargain if you watch for it. We love our Classic S. We were going to try selling ours and buying a same year model with Autopilot 1.0 but decided against it because we don't want to pay much more for the upgrade,

I had the same decision last year and went with the 60D. Here is my input: if you plan on doing expressway trips I would skip the leather and spend the money on the dual motors. The difference in highway efficiency between the single motor and dual motors is huge.

I had the same decision last year and went with the 60D. Here is my input: if you plan on doing expressway trips I would skip the leather and spend the money on the dual motors. The difference in highway efficiency between the single motor and dual motors is huge.
Is it really huge? It's just 4 miles according to Tesla.
Getting Dual motors for range doesn't make sense.

I could see going with a used performance model if you just want it for weekends.

I love my S 60 so much though, I get anxious thinking about driving anything else. I'd be surprised if you still drove the Fiat.

I think it's better to be future proofed with the new hardware - the only must have option is the glass or pano roof since it makes the car feel so much more spacious, especially for tall folks like me.

Jelloslug is correct. I have a 2014 85 and a 2017 60D. The 60D is way more efficient. Could be the slipstream wheels are better than the original 19" wheels combined with all the other small improvements like the refreshed nose and the D factor. I'm very impressed with the 60D (which is really a 62.5). I recently took a trip with both cars following each other so same route, speed, winds etc. 60D was 13 Wh/km more efficient at an average speed of around 130 km/h.

Jelloslug is correct. I have a 2014 85 and a 2017 60D. The 60D is way more efficient. Could be the slipstream wheels are better than the original 19" wheels combined with all the other small improvements like the refreshed nose and the D factor. I'm very impressed with the 60D (which is really a 62.5). I recently took a trip with both cars following each other so same route, speed, winds etc. 60D was 13 Wh/km more efficient at an average speed of around 130 km/h.
I think that not the D part, but 60 itself is efficient, compared to 85.

I would highly recommend going for the 60. If range becomes an issue for you; which I highly doubt, you can always opt for the software upgrade and get the full 75 kWh.

Also, stay away from the P85+. From videos, stories and from conversations with P85+ owners, they say it slays tires. Because it's RWD and has just shy of 500 hp (if I can remember), they say it goes through tires much quicker than others. So if anything, go for an 85, because the P85 is just extra money for a little more hp and the P85+ will cost you a lot in the long run (assuming you own the car for several years).

Thanks for the feedback, seems the consensus is going with the new base S60 vs going with used 2014 S85 or P85.
is it that much difference in improvement between the2014 vs 2017 model?
I can get the Federal tax credit with the new S60
Latest models have the new revision of battery packs, the overall quality of build is better since some of the production issues were resolved and the process, for the most part, is fully automated, you get the full warranty.
7500 tax credit, 2500$ check if you leave in CA.

You get the AP2 hardware you can always activate later on (you don't have that options with CPO).
You have a upgradable battery.