TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New S60 > S75 @$2k -- Not Really a Deal?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by MonseyGuy, Apr 18, 2017.

1. MonseyGuy

MonseyGuy Supporting Member

If charging an S60 to 100% results in basically same range as a S75 @ 90% (which is what's recommended to charge to on the S75 anyway), plus add to that the SLOOOW speed of charge from 90% to 100% on the S75 at SC during trips, is it really worth $2k?

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the S60 (vs S75) is a tremendous value and in real-life use almost the same. AmIRite?

• Like x 3
  2. alehbaba

alehbaba Member

agree...2k is still too much..i am not doing it...Will wait for it to go down in a few years...or maybe wont ever do it..not really needed.

3. azred

azred Member

I bought the upgrade about ten seconds after hearing about the $2000 price, but I have been doing all sorts of irrational crap lately, like buying a new S four months ago. I wish I would have seen this thread first.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  4. rayng

rayng Member

in my humble opinion, the s60 are obsolete just like the s40. is that fair? probably not but the perception would be the s60 is just a larger version of the 3--a $35k car. i think the 75 is more valuable than the 60 when i sell the car in 3 years.

plus, the 75 would give me a few more miles which may be useful for longer family trips.

now i charge to 90% which would mean i don't need to charge every day. i figure i'd cycle the battery less which means it may degrade a tiny bit less.

• Funny x 4
  5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

The clear answer is - it depends.

If you need the range, then it's worth it. If you don't need the range, then not so much.

Take for example if you have a typical trip that you could safely complete by charging to 95% on a 75. You normally charge at home for this trip, so there is no taper. In this case, the upgrade is a benefit. If the trip is an out and back day trip away from superchargers, then it becomes priceless!

Anyway, your correct that it won't help in many situations, especially if you're in a supercharger dense area. But there are use cases where it could be a difference between taking the Tesla or taking a different car.

• Like x 1
  6. jchag

jchag Member

I too bought the upgrade after hearing about it. I charged my S to 100% when it was a 60, now I will charge to 90%. Probably only gain about 20 usable miles for normal driving. Did I need th upgrade, NO, will it come in handy eventually, YES. With the 75 I can now easily make the Fresno to Mohave run without a 30 mile detour to Bakersfield SC. I also like having greater range. If I could afford to 90 I would have bought it. Recently upgraded my Leaf to a Bolt. Want from rated 84 to rated 238 and love the difference. Put me down for a Model S 150D in about 4 years!

• Like x 1
  7. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

Not worth it for me.

I havent ever once even had any need to have those extra miles in my 99% case use. Sure it would come in assistance on a road trip but I can easily navigate across this country in 60 and that little bump won't make that much of a difference.

With that being said, I can see it possibly raising the value of the car on resale but that is so far down the road that I am not even sure where Tesla or the 60 and costs will be so I can't worry about that and will keep the $2k in my pocket for now.

• Like x 1
  8. Mickie

Mickie Member

Worth mention, it can provide extra cushion when conducting trips that you may find yourself hypermiling to avoid range anxiety, such as not running the climate control or staying at lower speeds.

A trip that was questionable to complete if you wanted to keep your feet warm now becomes a nonissue.

I was initially going to jump to it, but I foresee it going down in price even more once the 3 is out. Tesla's MO is to change things or make attractive offers or products available near quarter closings or big events/ releases.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

It's only a deal if a true 100% charge would be needed for any leg of a trip. If not, then it's not worth it. So it depends on the situation.

10. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Right. There are some people who will be able to make a leg if they upgraded from 60 to 75 and it would definitely be worth it for them to save a stop. Otherwise it may be of limited use.

11. Mickie

Mickie Member

I disagree, referencing my above point and also to cover incidentals, such as getting off at a wrong exit that adds 5 or so real miles to your trip, etc. etc.

Also, I love your sig and am shamelessly stealing its idea. ;)

• Like x 1
  12. alehbaba

alehbaba Member

if i felt that way for any trip i wouldnt take it..lol....i mean come on...worried about those things just to save mileage is lame....There are plenty of super chargers on routes to make it in a stock 60 and not have to worry about silly things...its a scare tactic-the whole range anxiety thing. Save your 2k....if you trade into tesla one day they will just update it anyhow and not give you 2k less...thats silly

13. Mickie

Mickie Member

Pretty narrow point of view. You know, not everywhere has dense Supercharger coverage, right? Namely the fly-over states and a lot of northern areas of the country.

YMMV fits into this well.

14. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

60/75 = .8 or 80%, not 90%. Using the EPA ranges, it's more like 83% in practice for Tesla.

Either way, you'll get more range at 90% on a 75 than you do at 100% on a 60. And if you have an occasional long trip, you'll be able to go up higher still. On road trips, those extra miles of buffer can be very reassuring, even if you never actually use them.

If you only use the car around town, there's probably not much value in it. For $2k, I would have thought it was an easy buy, myself. :)

15. alehbaba

alehbaba Member

then i wouldnt go...or just fly

16. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

It's worth it to me for two reasons - short trip to Norfolk now requires no supercharging, and while charging on road trips, I actually want the longer charge time so we can finish lunch.;)

17. R.S

R.S Member

If I had a 60, I would definitely think about upgrading, but I agree that the benefits really aren't that great. The extra range might sometimes be helpful, but you'll just be able to start with 40 more miles.

Supercharging won't improve, performance won't improve and everyday driving range will also stay the same.

If they keep those 2k for ever, I'd probably wait until I either decide that I really needed those 40 more miles of range, or if the resale value would be better, if it had a 75 on the back and on the screens.

18. SeaDoc

SeaDoc Tesla S 75Du

I jumped at this opportunity and have no regrets. My concern was that the way Tesla changes pricing that this opportunity may go away at any future time and I would be kicking myself for not doing it earlier... Besides, it's nice to see the 75D badge when I get in my S every morning!!!

19. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

"60" is actually 62, and "75" is actually 72...so the answer is 86%. see the wk057 posts for more detail.

20. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I didn't choose the 83% number casually, though I do appear to have mis-remembered by one percent. Unless you think the EPA data is falsified?

210/249 = 84.3%
    218/259 = 84.1%
    200/238 = 84.0%

Even if you had been right, my basic point would stand - charging a 60 to 100% is not the same as charging a 75 to 90%.