Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S60 with 75 kWh upgrade option battery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see threads where people talk about how they never range charge their Tesla's (charge them to 100%) because it can impact battery longevity.

If you buy a recently announced S60 without the 75 kWh upgrade and fully charge to 100% are you still effectively not charging to 100%?

Or is the whole worrying about charging to 100% thing silly anyway?

There are a few threads going on about this. Seems to be a slight consensus toward the belief that you can charge the 60 to 100% without damaging the battery, but there is no authoritative answer. I have interest as well as a soon to be 70D owner. Some folks think the 100% is silly anyway, but consensus seems to be that you don't want to do that on a regular basis if the car will hold 100% for any period of time.

Engineering wise i would say it is better for tesla to make it such that you can fully discharge or fully charge. The reason is:
Fully discharge is bad for lithium battery.
Fully discharge is also bad.

That being said if they make it one sided, if customer does either, it would be bad for battery longevity. Hence protect from both by not allow a 100% charge or a 100% discharge.