Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (S60D) vs CPO (P85)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on the fence for a while, but now getting really close. I'd be interested in comments and thoughts from the community on these two choices. Pros/cons as I see them below:

P85 pros:
Cheaper (seeing some of these <$60k)
Power
RWD
Likely to have most issues sorted out (drivetrain, 12v battery)

P85 cons:
2013 build quality
Old seats
Do I really need to go 0-60 in 4.2?
Will depreciation accelerate from here (with Ap 2.0, etc)

60D pros:
New build quality
New design (fascia, headlights)
Still fast
AWD (not needed in Bay Area, but nice to have)
New seats

Cons:
Not a high performance model
More expensive by about $10-$15k

60D has $10,000 incentives in California, plus $1000 referral credit, so won't be that much more expensive. I was on the fence too till I found a deal on an inventory 75D yesterday. Tesla is flushing out some inventories while this quarter is ending, so I'd say keep refreshing inventory page, you might see some good deals coming up.

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
I'm a speed freak but if the range/ speed of the 60 suits you I'd go with the 60. I just replaced my 85 with a P85D and the bump in speed was the least of the things that I was looking forward to. Instead it was all the stuff owners of newer cars take for granted like the motorized charge port, parking sensors, auto-pilot, next gen seats, folding mirrors, etc. To add the facelift, LED headlights and a new warranty onto that would really cinch the 60 for me personally if it was between the two.

That said, there's a lot of talk about huge differences in build quality between early cars and newer cars. At least with respect to the bit that you see, I just don't have that experience. My 2013 is built exceptionally well and I don't find the 2015 I just picked up to be any better built.

I went through this and then ultimately ended up switching a P85 CPO deposit to a new S75 build. I decided that all the improvements incl. AP hardware + ~0 miles + not having to worry about scratches/dents on the CPO far outweighed the $10K-$15K savings.

That being said going super fast was not on top of my list. Its fun the first few times but then the novelty wears off.

As another poster mentioned if you can find a suitable inventory model there are some smoking deals available.

Have had mine for almost 2 years now and going really fast has not worn off yet. It is truly a daily pleasure.
That being said, you have a tough decision. The newer features have a real world value too.
I would follow liuj's advice and see if you can find an inventory car at deep discount to enable you to have your cake and eat it too.

You live in California, number one feature is Autopilot, isn't it? I drove my new car through St Louis stop and go last week, AP on. It was fun and worked great.

I had the checklist of common problems on early cars, didn't find any on a new car. No rattles, no nothing. Go Tesla.

Good luck.

I would say get the new 60D if you can find an inventory one.

They were there a few days ago but now gone on the websites. You might have to check with your sale associates.

I think they were going for low 70K or high 60K. Factor in the tax credits you are looking at low 60K or high 50K which is how much the CPOs S85 are going for right now. Range is probably less compared to CPO s85 but you can probably charge 100% all the time and supercharging will not taper until you are done so it should supercharge faster overall.

I would say get the new 60D if you can find an inventory one.

They were there a few days ago but now gone on the websites. You might have to check with your sale associates.

I think they were going for low 70K or high 60K. Factor in the tax credits you are looking at low 60K or high 50K which is how much the CPOs S85 are going for right now. Range is probably less compared to CPO s85 but you can probably charge 100% all the time and supercharging will not taper until you are done so it should supercharge faster overall.
I agree that you should get a 60D if you can find the same discount on it, but based on my experience yesterday, I don't think you will find many 60D cars with the sizeable discounts available on the 75s.

The great advantages of the 60 due to it being a software limited 75 still apply (i.e., you can charge it to 100% daily cycle and it charges at faster rates to 100%). It's just that neither I nor my SA could find any 60s with similar discounts that are available on the 75s.

Like others on this forum, I think Tesla probably software upgraded all of the 60s to 75s as a way to boost immediate profits before the end of Q3. All of the 60s already had 75kwh batteries anyway, so it was no extra cost to Tesla to sell them as 75s. The upshot is that you can get a 75 for just $1-2K more than the similarly equipped 60.