TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New SC in Seattle

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by silby1383, Feb 29, 2016.

1. silby1383

silby1383 Member

If you look at SC map on Teslamotors.com you can see a new location in Seattle if you click on 2016 (vs Today). I can't seem to find any other reference to this, nor can I drill down to figure out where that location will be.

Does anybody else have information regarding a new Seattle location?

Thanks,

2. Usatyke

Usatyke Member

I had heard that they are looking at the 405 & I90 area, i.e. factoria.

3. fawu

fawu Member

4. silby1383

silby1383 Member

5. donv

donv Member

I get confused. Does "SC" mean SuperCharger or Service Center? Which one are you talking about?

6. Greg R

Greg R Member

Best location seems like it would be something close to I-90/405 interchange, or up near I-90/Hwy 18. Maybe North Bend outlet malls area? Something with easy freeway on/off access for travelers coming in and out of Seattle area.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Both. Some people use "SpC" and "SuC" to distinguish.
    It seems this thread is focused on supercharger. There is already a Seattle service center.

- - - Updated - - -

Feels a little redundant given Centralia + Ellensburg. At least compared to something more westward like...
    :)

8. ThortsMD

ThortsMD Member

I disagree.

The largest traffic flow is probably north-south on I5, second east-west on I90. Superchargers are for those traveling through a region, not as destination chargers. Putting the supercharger at the 405-90 junction would force N-S travelers into 405. Also, think of the room that will be needed to deliver the expected much larger volume of cars when the 3 is rolling off the line. The service center in Seattle is already out of room. Tesla will have to expand its footprint. There is lots of high voltage supply in the area there. That would make a sensible place to put the supercharger.

Of course the fact that you, Brianman, live near the junction of 405 and I90, and I live near the junction of I5 and I90 has nothing to do with our preferences. :wink:

9. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Member

OK, let's start thinking about CA-style sales and really plan for the future. How about SC's at ALL of the following:
    1) Alderwood Mall (and a bunch of 80 amp HPWC's too.)
    2) Auburn Outlet Mall (and a bunch of 80 amp HPWC's too.)
    3) 6th Street Service Center (to complement the HPWC's there)
    4) I-90 & 18 (or North Bend) since there will be future development there.

Hmmm, maybe these suggestions should be in a different thread:
    5) Bremerton
    6) Sequim Bay
    7) Aberdeen
    8) Long Beach
    9) Omak/Brewster
    10 Lewiston

Would that solve the 405 vs 5 location discussion? As an outsider, I never travel on I-5 through Seattle. I have always used 405 unless absolutely necessary. On my last trip into Seattle, I used Lake City Way and other surface streets. My previous experiences on I-5 have been parking lot speeds.

10. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

Near the intersection of I-5 and I-90, e.g., just north of the Seattle service center. It would nicely serve the ferry traffic needing to top up for the Olympic peninsula.

• Like x 1
  11. N8DGR8

N8DGR8 Member

I wouldn't mind something like the Sandy, OR SC to open up Crystal and the Mt Rainier area. Not too useful for anyone else... Even a simpler AeroVironment CHAdeMO in Enumclaw and Greenwater would be a huge improvement.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nah, I live off 520 a bit east of 405. Not near 90.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

You make a good point about 405 vs. 5. I try to avoid going thru Seattle (i.e. 5) when going north / south -- to avoid traffic and feeling literally trapped. Not everybody does.

I get a bit of the same trapped feeling on the "primary" supercharger route in CA -- part of why I'm glad to see 101 and other options building.

• Like x 1
  14. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

Nice thread I found!!!:) I feel it necessary to point out that most "us" who would be using the SC station as travelers would prefer to avoid the horrors of I-5 and Seattle city traffic. The interchange b/w 405 and I-90 seems like a more suitable location both for North-South travelers, as well as East-West travelers.

15. Odenator

Odenator P2607

More Superchargers is a good thing. Tesla should surround major city centers with Superchargers. Sometimes level 2 chargers are not conveniently placed and routine driving in the city for out of owners like myself drains the battery low enough that I get range anxiety about making it home. Last time I had to stop in Fife to use the Blink Chademo but they were out of order. I ended up sitting for 45 min at the Blink level 2's @ 24 amps. My wife was not happy at 1 am in the morning. Another Supercharger in Vancouver, WA would be perfect. As it stands, I frequently go to Woodburn to charge if I don't plan to stay in Portland overnight. Not convenient at all!

16. ThortsMD

ThortsMD Member

The local Seattle new outlets this past week featured reports that the area that includes the service center near the stadiums will be redeveloped as a business campus starting in about a year. So, the SC will have to move. Has anyone had a chance to ask the Tesla folks there what their plans are for moving the service center? If the new location is nearby, it would probably be the location of the supercharger. Perhaps down Airport Way where there are large auto service centers (such as MB).

17. TSLAM

TSLAM Member

Not that this is super relevent but the staff at the Bellevue service center told me they are moving.

I'm not sure if it's space or talent constraint but they are booking services to mid/late May as first available date. Hopefully their new space will accommodate more vehicles at the same time.

Also not relevant is onboard GPS provides the wrong directions to the Bellevue service center. The staff said its google maps fault but iOS gave me the right directions.

18. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Google maps gives the right directions since I fixed it a year ago. Onboard navigation is done by Garmin and still gives incorrect routing (it wants to send you to the business just to the north).

All moot once they move to the new location this summer.

19. LovelyCarrot

LovelyCarrot Member

One of the Tesla salespeople told me 2 years ago that a supercharger was going to be installed near the I-5 / I-90 interchange. Again that was 2 years ago so who knows what's happening with the plans there. She seemed pretty confident though, and yes if you look at the "2016" Supercharger map there's one squarely on Seattle. How about some Kitsap Peninsula and Olympic Peninsula love. Distances are looong here in the NW between sights.

20. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

With the one going in Aberdeen, I think the Kitsap side is covered pretty well. Another in Sequim or PA would cover the rest.