TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

new SC incentive could be due to M3 delays

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mrtian97, May 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Is it possible that the new SC incentives for MS and X is due to quarterly management potentially due to delay in M3 launch. Any new order in May or June most likely will increase sales in Q3 which when tesla supposedly launching the M3?

• Disagree x 9
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Anything is possible, but I'm just not seeing this one. Tesla is going to be judged on when the 3 is launched, not on total sales for the quarter (well, they'll be judged on that, too.) It'd take a lot of spin for any amount of S/X sales to be seen as compensating for 3 delays.

The most likely theory I've seen is that Tesla is experiencing S/X sales erosions as the 3 launch approaches and/or having trouble separating the cars for the public - but I'm not really sure I believe that either.

I was quite certain that Tesla couldn't afford to do this after folks like Tesloop came along, and here they've actually upped the ante and given every S/X owner free supercharging on any future S/X they buy as well, so I'm really not sure what to think right now.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

Could be just anti-selling the M3 and nudging people to MS/MX. Could also be that something major and new is coming for MS/MX, and they want to sweeten the pot for the current MS/MX buyers, so they don't feel too bad about missing out. Also a significant update for the MS/MX could likely also coincide with the M3 release, so this could suggest that M3 is really coming really soon.

• Like x 3
  4. commasign

commasign Active Member

The main thing is that owners of older Model S were not upgrading to a new S or X due to lack of unlimited supercharging. This change ensures that will no longer be the deal breaker. Like any car maker, Tesla wants their Model S owners to upgrade every 2-3 years.

• Like x 3
  5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I was thinking I'd have to keep this car for ten years, but the self driving stuff will likely convince me to upgrade well before that, once they get it sorted out. AP1 is good enough to point the way and make me want the rest. :)

6. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

FUD much?

• Like x 6
  7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The launch/reveal was already delayed until July so they wouldn't butcher Q2 sales. This is in line with that.

This doesn't not indicate a delay from July launch in any way, shape, or form.

In addition, yes, they'd want good Q3 S/X sales numbers so orders in May/June do help with that.

8. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Please change the thread title to include speculation

9. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Mods.......

can we get "WILD SPECULATION" added to this thread title?

o_O:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. N5329K

N5329K Member

Like new batteries?
    Robin

• Like x 2
  11. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

I think it could be because the Model 3 will be Supercharger V3-compatible due to the 2170 cells, and the MS/MX won't be for quite a while. So this is a token of good will due to the S/X not having the new tech first in this one instance.

• Disagree x 2
  12. electracity

electracity Active Member

The simplest reason for this incentive is to keep S/X sales up with potential Tesla buyers who are waiting to see the model 3,

Half of potential model S buyers are probably wondering if the model 3 is good enough.

• Like x 2
  13. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

it's just interesting how quickly thing changes on the SC policy.

• Like x 1
  14. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

I agree, the other to consider is capacity, will Tesla able to sustain mfg the S/X at the current level during M3 ramp up (such as the first couple qtrs of launch)

• Disagree x 1
  15. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

The MS/X are on separate lines in the factory as the M3, the paint shop has capacity for 500K cars. Nothing to worry about.

• Helpful x 1
  16. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

I find it more interesting how non-existent SC is from any supposed competitors

• Like x 2
  17. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

It's a demand lever to ensure that deposits continue to move for Model S / Model X before the first Model 3 hits the street.

It is a sound decision independent on when the 3 actually arrives.

• Helpful x 1
  18. smak

smak Member

If you order a model 3 today, you get it in 2019.

If you order a model S today you get it in July.

Any company in the world selling any product in the world would try to sell the latter.

-smak-

• Like x 5
  19. Takumi

Takumi Member

#19 Takumi, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    This. I think this is Tesla highlighting the fact no matter what range the competitors come out with, it's a non-compete because of the Supercharger advantage. If the competitors do decide to install more DC fastchargers, it'll only serve Tesla's goal for the Model 3 - more chargers. The advantage doesn't quite go the other way. Tesla highlighting the Supercharger network also puts any $$$ that anyone else is putting into a charging network under scrutiny.

Performance - check
    Battery range - check
    Charging network - ???
    Tesla is just moving the goal post.

Since Tesla is installing Superchargers in Metro areas now, it serves as a conversation point. I think it's more marketing than anything. On that point, Tesla needs to put a big red "T" logo on those fenced-in Supercharger equipment so it's easier to spot when long driving for the first time on a particular route. Those superchargers get lost when there's a lot of cars parked around it.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  20. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Agreed. The supercharging looks like a sales push. Two other things happened simultaneously: 1- Elon tweets today about how great the next Autopilot build will be. 2-My sales advisor texts me to acknowledge some enthusiastic thing I told her weeks ago and which she had ignored until today.

Looks to me like a company-wide push to juice sales and keep good relations with customers.

• Like x 2