Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Scottsdale store in Kierland Commons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
The less than year old Tempe store has been converted to additional service/delivery space and a new store is opening in North Scottsdale. Moving the store from middle class and centrally located Tempe to a wealthy, somewhat remote area -- especially when there is already a Tesla store in central Scottsdale that isn't closing -- isn't reflective of the new middle class Model 3 customer base. Supposedly the change is being done for political reasons. As we know too well, Tesla's presence in AZ is tenuous so I guess the new store is better than nothing but certainly is a strange move on its face.

What political reason would there be for moving the store from one town to another within the state? Please elaborate.
If you need details, just call the existing store in Scottsdale and they will probably fill you in though I wouldn't think the details would matter to a Texan. But what was clearly communicated to me was the decision to close the retail store in a central location in favor of a second, remote Scottsdale location was not based on market factors. Just be glad you live in a state that welcomes Tesla.:)

FYI, I don't think AZ is the only state that has limited Tesla to specific locations.

Last edited:
I don't call Kierland remote.
I also understand why they would need more service space. This is going to be an ongoing concern.
Ok, I guess you are like the Texas poster and don't believe me that I was told by local Tesla staff that this change is solely based on local political pressure not to have stores outside Scottsdale. So they caved in and reluctantly moved the Tempe retail store even though it doesn't make a lot of market sense to have two stores in Scottsdale and none anywhere else in the Valley. While the service center probably can use the additional space, the staff member made it clear that was not why they eliminated the retail space. As for the remoteness of the new location, even a cursory look at a map shows Kierland Commons is much farther from the center of the Valley than the old store in Tempe.

I thought locals would be interested in this information. It never occurred to me that it would start an argument.

Last edited:
Ok, I guess you are like the Texas poster and don't believe me that I was told by local Tesla staff that this change is solely based on local political pressure not to have stores outside Scottsdale...

I thought locals would be interested in this information. It never occurred to me that it would start an argument.
I never said I didn't believe you and I don't see how my post implied that. And I wasn't starting an argument. I was curious about why there would be political pressure to have a store in one town rather than another-- I can see pressure to block stores (as has been tried in Texas) but didn't understand why political pressure would force one location over another within the state. Your second post says the pressure is to not have stores outside Scottsdale. What is the rationale behind that? What's special about Scottsdale?

Even people outside of Arizona are entitled to be interested in this, to anticipate similar issues in their auto dealer cartel-dominated states. You may think it's a local issue for you but the dealers in different states talk to each other.

A little information some may find useful.
The new location is, indeed, Kierland - that is, on the west side of Scottsdale Rd, rather than on the "Apple Store", east side. If one googlemaps the address, it appears to be sited in what are in reality the Kierland apartments. The photo below shows the actual location: it is next to Michael Kors and across the street from Shake Shack and Zinc Bistro (you may need to click on the image to blow it up).
Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 1.00.27 PM.png

As far as "Scottsdale" being an issue...thought I'd interject that long-established Mercedes has 3 "official" dealerships in the Valley of the Sun (there do seem to be other, but they're not ¿official?). One is in Chandler; the other two? One is across Scottsdale Rd. from Tesla's first Arizona site: Fashion Square; the other is on Scottsdale Rd. just north of Kierland, along that "Luxury Car Alley".

"Follow The Money" dictum suggests it is not inappropriate that the Paradise Valley/Scottsdale/Carefree/Fountain Hills portion of the greater Phoenix area is where Tesla has chosen to focus its operations....

Ok, I guess you are like the Texas poster and don't believe me that I was told by local Tesla staff that this change is solely based on local political pressure not to have stores outside Scottsdale. So they caved in and reluctantly moved the Tempe retail store even though it doesn't make a lot of market sense to have two stores in Scottsdale and none anywhere else in the Valley. While the service center probably can use the additional space, the staff member made it clear that was not why they eliminated the retail space. As for the remoteness of the new location, even a cursory look at a map shows Kierland Commons is much farther from the center of the Valley than the old store in Tempe.

Kierland, being on west side of Scottsdale Rd., is in Phoenix..

As Kierland is located west of Scottsdale Rd., it is in the city of Phoenix. I think it does have a Scottsdale mailing address, however.

eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/maps/my-neighborhood

I can see pressure to block stores (as has been tried in Texas) but didn't understand why political pressure would force one location over another within the state. Your second post says the pressure is to not have stores outside Scottsdale. What is the rationale behind that? What's special about Scottsdale?

It's where all the $$$ are in the Valley.

Reactions: tmoz

Not trying to start an argument, just give you my opinion that Kierland isn't remote. It is a further drive for me to Kierland vs Tempe, but I don't think anyone would get to the Kierland area and call it remote. I don't understand politics that much and wonder who and why anyone would be pressuring Tesla to do this.

The guys at the Tempe store tell me there is no foot traffic for test drives. I've handed out several "overnight" passes with a Tesla, and although many were excited, none cashed in on the offer. Follow the money is a good policy. Too many college students not looking to plunk down 50-100 K on a car. I tried to get a couple of grad student to come with to test drive a model X and a P100D with me. Everyone bailed and I ended up test driving alone.

I do like the staff at Tempe.

Hopefully I'll be able to develop a good working relationship with them as well. As for now pre-delivery it seems they're a little unwilling to communicate and sometimes not at all unless you bug them. maybe their attitude changes Post delivery and I actually have my car :) which according to their last estimate should be 3 days from now :) but there has been no communication from them indicating that they are still on track or giving me any actionable information so I can begin to connect some dots it is a little frustrating.