Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screen UI in Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm kind of with you. I rented a model 3 on a recent trip. Having a single center stack screen is manageable, but I missed the secondary (more detailed) navigation screen and always present media info of my Model X cluster.

after having the Model 3 simplicity, I am turned off by the complexity/clutter of the X and S...

or all the darn buttons in the rental cars when I am traveling for work.

Needs a HUD and something to rest your hand on when trying to touch the screen on bumpy roads when driving in the CT. Trying to use touchscreens can be a real chore off-road. Something like the bar on the bottom of the SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule would do, so that using the menu bar is easier. You could do the same on the sides of the screen. Maybe a self-adhesive accessory otherwise.

The HUD should really show the AP display, and even in a robotaxi situation it is comforting as a "passenger" to see what the FSD sees, and is doing in response.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Needs a HUD and something to rest your hand on when trying to touch the screen on bumpy roads when driving in the CT. Trying to use touchscreens can be a real chore off-road. Something like the bar on the bottom of the SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule would do, so that using the menu bar is easier. You could do the same on the sides of the screen. Maybe a self-adhesive accessory otherwise.

The HUD should really show the AP display, and even in a robotaxi situation it is comforting as a "passenger" to see what the FSD sees, and is doing in response.

it really doesn’t need a HUD. After a couple of drives in the Model 3 that becomes clear. If you can, get some time with a model 3.

the touch screen UI in the 3 is FAR better than an other car that I have experienced.

actually the whole experience of the Model 3 is FAR better than any vehicle I have ever experienced. After 9 months with the 3 I am convinced that whatever they put together it will be well thought out.

Bob

The main reason for the HUD is the fact your eyes don't need time to refocus from the screen to the road. At arms length the screen is to close to see both the outside road and keep the screen in focus to read it. The depth of field on a proper HUD makes it look like the screen is superimposed on the road in your natural feild of veiw and focal length. This is the main reason they were invented for fighter pilots. With refocusing it can take up to 0.5sec to check the speed and back, which is a long time when moving at up to 40m/sec in a car. Thats also why the AP display should be on there too. Less eye fatigue overall, and not at all hard or expensive to do. It's human augmentation, not part creation.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
The main reason for the HUD is the fact your eyes don't need time to refocus from the screen to the road. At arms length the screen is to close to see both the outside road and keep the screen in focus to read it. The depth of field on a proper HUD makes it look like the screen is superimposed on the road in your natural feild of veiw and focal length. This is the main reason they were invented for fighter pilots. With refocusing it can take up to 0.5sec to check the speed and back, which is a long time when moving at up to 40m/sec in a car. Thats also why the AP display should be on there too. Less eye fatigue overall, and not at all hard or expensive to do. It's human augmentation, not part creation.

No. Not necessary. Go drive a Model 3 and you will see. Or don’t. It just the internet...

Lol ok. Not much of an argument.
The model 3 screen and position is no different to any other car.

How about a switcheroo...go and drive a car with a in dash screen and a HUD to compare. You'll see exactly what I mean. :)
Having no experience with HUD I cannot comment but certainly don't rule out the potential it could be helpful for off ride driving. However, to state the model 3 screen and position is no different any other car is rather silly.
First thing people comment on besides the lack of buttons is the screen's position and size compared to any other car they have seen.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Lol ok. Not much of an argument.
The model 3 screen and position is no different to any other car.

How about a switcheroo...go and drive a car with a in dash screen and a HUD to compare. You'll see exactly what I mean. :)

There is no argument. There is no HUD, there will be no HUD. Tweet Elon to complain.

I have driven a car with a HUD, it’s not necessary.

I drive a Model 3 every day. I never ever think I need a HUD. I do constantly say “oh they thought of that” to many, many functions of the car. It is so much better than regular traditional cars that it is very hard to describe.

When I look at the details that are in the Cybertruck (ie. the ramp built into the tailgate) and I bet there are more and more of those “oh they thought of that” things. It’s what Tesla does.

Reactions: jfinephilly
Cars are not necessary either. Neither are seat belts or airbags. But they are beneficial.

There is a difference between having an idea, executing an idea, and making a idea profitable. It's a completely different arguement to determine the value of an idea, or if it should be implemented. EM responses so far have put him on the fence about HUDs. An individual's requirements, or limited experience, has little to know weight when discussing, unless its based on imperical evidence.

In the case of a HUD this will increase safety because of the reasons stated previously. This is not "necessary" but it is beneficial.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Having no experience with HUD I cannot comment but certainly don't rule out the potential it could be helpful for off ride driving. However, to state the model 3 screen and position is no different any other car is rather silly.
First thing people comment on besides the lack of buttons is the screen's position and size compared to any other car they have seen.

How exactly then is a M3 screen different? Because of the type of panel used (IPS, TN, VA etc) that it has a higher resolution or framerate, or better touch response etc?

None of these are relevant to a focal length arguement that a HUD will fix, and a LCD screen at arms length can never do atm. (Unless you had some sort of 3D or holographic screen)

Last edited:
My car before model 3 has an excellent HUD system (BMW) that I enjoyed. The speedometer of that car was constantly being blocked by my hand on the wheel, so the HUD was much appreciated.

Model 3/CT just doesn’t need it. The whole premise with AP/FSD is to push to the side gauges and other driver tools from the past. Even when I am in manual driving mode, I never think about the HUD days of the past.

it really doesn’t need a HUD. After a couple of drives in the Model 3 that becomes clear. If you can, get some time with a model 3.

Couldn't agree more. I am leasing a model S and have rented a Model 3 for a weekend, it took me about 10 minutes to get used to the lack of a front display and now prefer over the Model S. Cant wait till the lease on the Model S is up. The Cybertruck is really what I am interested in.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
HUD stands for "Heads Up Display". It is a superimposed screen that is normally reflected off a piece of glass. It is not a dash display in front of the wheel, it's actually visible on the front windscreen.

The argument can be made in the other direction as well. What makes a HUD a "worse option"? If people want it why can't they buy it?

I realize that I'm late to this discussion, but would like to put in my $.02 regarding HUD.
We had a Model S85 (lease) until 2 years ago. This put us in line for an early Model 3, right after our lease expired, which is my wife's car. We both love the Model 3 and I swear, it's even better than the S for a city and highway car.
Our other car is a BMW X5, with HUD. If you haven't driven with HUD, especially during those driving moments when you don't want to look away from the windshield, you don't know what you're missing.

Maybe it really is a personal preference. But mine is: make the HUD a configuration option. With all of the safety options on a Tesla, I'd love to have the HUD on the CyberTrk we have ordered. Night driving, with nav, in the rain...I don't like looking away from that windshield to see where the next turn might be.

Reactions: JBee and lafrisbee
For reference. Heavily-manipulated image made from a still shamelessly stolen from a test drive video.
EFFBADF8-AA2E-4A85-84C7-D507CA995D71.jpeg