Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screen UI in Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Anyone noticed that the screen UI seems to be completely redesigned in the cybertruck as seen in this picture?

tesla-cybertruck-center-touchscreen.jpg

There is also this screenshot that shows a new 3D map.

upload_2019-11-22_10-6-26.png

Is this new UI just for the cybertruck or is this is a sneak peak at a new UI that Tesla will port to all cars? Or maybe it is a just a placeholder UI and the final UI will be the same as we have now in our cars?

Who knows at this point. I thought they would converge their software development branch between the Model S/X and Model 3 with an interior redesign for the former two, to a single center stack screen and no driver cluster. If that's the case, then the UI redesign in the cybertruck could roll out across the entire fleet, simplifying design and development. It would make the most sense.

Does it look like the navigation route is a round trip? Unless you have multi point navigation, you can't route a round trip from your current location. If it is showing a double thick like for a round trip then it might just be a place holder. If it's only showing destination to the end of the street then it's possible we're seeing some kind of real dev software.

Here's what The Verge had to say about that.

Tesla Cybertruck first ride: inside Elon Musk’s electric pickup truck

And though the Cybertruck was running what Tesla said is the next-generation version of its in-car software on a landscape-oriented, 17-inch touchscreen, the Tesla employee in the driver’s seat only tapped through a few settings during the ride. Now that the truck’s broken cover, that software is something I want to see more of in the coming months.​

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33
Here's what The Verge had to say about that.

Tesla Cybertruck first ride: inside Elon Musk’s electric pickup truck

And though the Cybertruck was running what Tesla said is the next-generation version of its in-car software on a landscape-oriented, 17-inch touchscreen, the Tesla employee in the driver’s seat only tapped through a few settings during the ride. Now that the truck’s broken cover, that software is something I want to see more of in the coming months.​

Thanks. That would be pretty exciting if we get a brand new UI for the Model S, X and 3 too.

Reactions: AustinM3LR
sokane_191112_3807_8474.jpg

A few things we can observe from the screenshot:

Tesla has moved the tabs vertically to the left. Speed and gear selected is in the top left corner. The various screens (quick controls, autopilot settings etc) are on the left side of the screen. Range is displayed in the top right corner. A 3D representation of the vehicle is on the right side. We can also see music controls on the bottom of the screen.

Here is a great close up of the screen during a drive:

upload_2019-11-22_11-33-58.png

We can see that navigation directions are on the left side. The current AP UI is gone. Instead, there is a 3D map showing the route the car is taking. We can see double lines showing a round trip. And the navigation directions also show a round trip. So it appears that the navigation can now handle round trips.

I wonder from the lack of traditional AP UI if perhaps Tesla is planning to do away with it completely once FSD is fully released. It would make sense that once FSD is fully released that we probably won't need to see the lane keeping UI anymore. And this new 3D maps seems like a good alternative as it will show us the route the car is planning to take. It may even have the option of zooming in and showing adjacent cars and traffic lights etc...

Reactions: SpaceCash
So it appears that the navigation can now handle round trips.
I can't imagine how that works unless you have multi stop navigation. I would think round trip would require input for how far (or where) you want to go before turning around to return to your staring point.

I like the controls of the left but the media controls seem a bit far for the driver. The turn by turn seems unnecessarily wide, taking up half the screen.

I can't imagine how that works unless you have multi stop navigation. I would think round trip would require input for how far (or where) you want to go before turning around to return to your staring point.

I like the controls of the left but the media controls seem a bit far for the driver. The turn by turn seems unnecessarily wide, taking up half the screen.

I imagine the round trip hints that yes, the new nav can do waypoints. And we know waypoints is a big missing feature right now. It would make sense if Tesla was working on adding that feature.

I agree about the nav directions taking up too much space. But I do like that the 3D map takes up more space.

Makes sense to move the buttons to the left side, as the cab is wider than a Model 3. That would make it quite a bit harder to reach for anything on the right side.

They should just make a screen button on the very lower right corner of the screen which allows the bar with all the controls to be temporarily moved to the right side. Then the passenger can easily control what they want. They should really do this now; my wife is always asking me to adjust things because she can't reach the stuff closer to me (she's pretty short).

Reactions: diplomat33
The navigation animation was canned. It looked exactly the same no matter when it was triggered. Sometimes it was triggered quite late and it still showed the truck back at the first location.

The UI might not be fully ready yet. But I am still hoping that it is a preview of what will be available on all cars and not just the cybertruck. I would be surprised if Tesla builds a completely new UI just for one vehicle.

Something else I find interesting is that Elon’s response to everyone wanting a HUD of some sort for the Model 3 is that they “won’t care” and it is unnecessary. Presumably because of the RoboTaxi idea and FSD driving the car, not the person sitting front left. Is that the same philosophy being applied to the truck?

Something else I find interesting is that Elon’s response to everyone wanting a HUD of some sort for the Model 3 is that they “won’t care” and it is unnecessary. Presumably because of the RoboTaxi idea and FSD driving the car, not the person sitting front left. Is that the same philosophy being applied to the truck?

Yes, I think so. The minimalist UI seems to be geared more toward a passenger experience than a driver experience. For example, the ability to just display a map full screen would seem to be geared towards a robotaxi where the "driver" only really needs to know the route that the car plans to take, and less how the car is driving.