Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does it appear that replacement isn't the true solution at this time? Because it would cost them too much money? The updated screen is available, they just don't want to have to incur the financial hit to replace that many of them. Replacements with the non-yellowing part have happened for some high-profile influencers and lucky follow-on customers who made appointments before the policy change.

But I suppose you're one of those people who actually think a firmware fix for this is possible, and that that's actually an option; in which case there's absolutely no point arguing with you.

The corrected part has been obtained by Tesla. The only way to fix this is via replacement. They are refusing to replace. A "firmware fix" is not possible. There's no further mystery here, unless you're part of the camp that believes that firmware is in fact magic.

Post 173 above.

I think he meant based on the information people have provided here on this thread, TESLA doesn't appear to be using screen replacement as the fix to the problem. I don't think he is arguing that he personally believes that.

Just like you, I believe to get complete resolution, a full screen replacement is necessary. Tesla will try to "fix" with firmware to lessen effects, but again, like you mentioned, the true fix is a screen replacement. Like you I had it documented a year ago, and opted to not waste resources with the promise that it would be replaced. I would be pretty upset if that didn't occur. But no need to get salty with others here on this thread, almost everyone has the same perspective. People are in different ways processing the limited information and the quick about face Tesla has made. Like with other things, just give it some time to let it settle and see what Tesla does. Do call in and make your voice heard so that decision are made favorably, and in the right way to honor the warranty.

What I mean is that it appears even the screen replacement has the same problem. Post 173 above is an example.

My screen has the same problem. 2017 MS. I am getting work done on June 7. That is one of the items. Will see what they say.

So? That is completely irrelevant. Their legal obligation is to fix warranty issues. If they don't have a solution right now, they need to replace those of us waiting over a year and replace it again when they get their fix together. Its their fault the screens are defective, they offer a warranty (probably shouldn't if you can't select the right hardware) and they have to pay to deal. Not the customer. We shouldn't pay for their inability to deliver a timely fix as well. I have been patient and I gave them a shot. This is unacceptable and nothing Tesla has done (which is a whole lot of not done) should encourage any owner (even those unaffected).

The whole eMMC issue in the MCU aside, Tesla should just resume replacing screens like they were 2 weeks ago.

Replacing them with another known faulty screen? Per-post 173 above, it appears that is exactly what you would get. I totally agree that Tesla needs to fix the problem. I’m just not going to freak out over this until I truly know the end result. Right now, Tesla doesn’t appear to know either. Hopefully if the problem is reported within the warranty period, Tesla would still fix even out of warranty if they now have a known GOOD solution. We shall see if this happens or not. But for now, I’m certainly not going to raise my BP over this.

And FWIW, I also have the yellow band.

Speculation, how? A lot of us have been told that our screens would be replaced, a fixed screen has been obtained by Tesla, and now we're being told they won't be replaced. What's speculative about that? The fact that we think that a "firmware fix" is BS?

The entire "firmware fix" idea is speculation. The previous "UV light fix" was speculation. Every fix being described here, other than the possibility that a new type of screen or their repair tool that's in testing is speculation(and even those are speculation by Tesla). People say "hey, maybe this is how they'll solve it!" and then 2 pages later everyone's freaking out because that's suddenly taken as fact.

The entire "firmware fix" idea is speculation. The previous "UV light fix" was speculation. Every fix being described here, other than the possibility that a new type of screen or their repair tool that's in testing is speculation(and even those are speculation by Tesla). People say "hey, maybe this is how they'll solve it!" and then 2 pages later everyone's freaking out because that's suddenly taken as fact.

Are you suggesting that we all take a collective breath and be rational about waiting for a reasonable fix that is permanent? :D

I just got off a call with a mobile service adviser who fed me the same line that the yellow border is only cosmetic and no longer considered a warranty concern.

This seems like a bad move on Tesla's part.

If this turns out to be the way that Tesla handles this, I agree....bad move on Tesla’s part. Seeing as how we are getting inconsistencies with reporting, I will reserve judgment.

I suspect that's a one-off because they had to take apart the dash to upgrade to LTE and no rattles before or after.
Wouldn't worry me, I probably wouldn't hear a dash rattle over the sunroof rattle or rear window rattle. :rolleyes:

If this turns out to be the way that Tesla handles this, I agree....bad move on Tesla’s part. Seeing as how we are getting inconsistencies with reporting, I will reserve judgment.
I agree, I will wait it out a bit and then contact my local service centre.

FWIW - I had the screen on my Feb 2017 S90D replaced today under warranty, for the second time. First replacement was last summer, by mid-winter the yellow band had returned. A few months ago, I had an annual service and asked them to replace the screen again; they responded that there was a new version coming out and that they would defer the replacement until the part came in. Today, I received a call saying the part had come in, so I took my car in and got the screen replaced. Very pleasant interaction with Tesla staff, very nicely handled, good customer service.

YMMV

What I mean is that it appears even the screen replacement has the same problem. Post 173 above is an example.

My screen has the same problem. 2017 MS. I am getting work done on June 7. That is one of the items. Will see what they say.

I've already posted previously that the new screen replacement has a totally separate part number from prior screens. Another person who recently got their screen replaced with the "re-engineered" screen had the same new part number, forget the post # but it was earlier in the thread. My new screen matched their new part number as well. I compared my new and old screens and they had totally different part numbers. The mobile ranger and service center confirmed this as well. I had mine replaced last friday, the mobile ranger also remarked the way the cords come packaged with the new screens is totally different from the old ones he replaced.

Prior replacement screens had the same problem because they were the same part. A year ago they offered to replace my screen with the same part and I told them I would rather wait instead of wasting resources. I don't think we are in that same place now. Now this is a question of, will Tesla pay to provide the "re-engineered" screens for all those under warranty with the issue... and it's not looking to good.

Wouldn't say speculation. Heard it from the mobile rangers mouth, who had a briefing on this whole issue the day before he came to replace my screen. He said I was very lucky and had good timing to get this covered for free. The specifically mentioned that the briefing included mention of a firmware update.

Just relaying what I saw and heard during my appointment. Off topic but mobile service rocks.

Reactions: srredbeard

Initially he actually tried to convince me out of replacing my screen, and instead to wait for the firmware update.

FWIW - I had the screen on my Feb 2017 S90D replaced today under warranty, for the second time. First replacement was last summer, by mid-winter the yellow band had returned. A few months ago, I had an annual service and asked them to replace the screen again; they responded that there was a new version coming out and that they would defer the replacement until the part came in. Today, I received a call saying the part had come in, so I took my car in and got the screen replaced. Very pleasant interaction with Tesla staff, very nicely handled, good customer service.

YMMV
Replaced today heh. Interesting.

Beware being told you're "speculating" :D

Reactions: St Charles
I've already posted previously that the new screen replacement has a totally separate part number from prior screens. Another person who recently got their screen replaced with the "re-engineered" screen had the same new part number, forget the post # but it was earlier in the thread.

It sounded like even the new screen with the new part number still had the issue. But maybe not.

Wouldn't say speculation. Heard it from the mobile rangers mouth, who had a briefing on this whole issue the day before he came to replace my screen. He said I was very lucky and had good timing to get this covered for free.
Maybe Tesla think all their customers are like loyal dogs or people caught in the Apple eco system and will stick with them no matter what.
From the unexpected massive price drop earlier this year (massive as in outside the USA it was massive), then the possibility of making people pay for a replacement screen we've been told was going to be covered under warranty to finally not being able to actually release software that works 100% stable and functional....I think they've forgotten there really is some serious EV competition around the corner and many people will turn their backs and never look back.

If I have to pay $1345 to fix a problem on a new car that I didn't cause, I at least want a guarantee that the replacement screen, where i'm paying for their shortcomings, won't yellow. Sounds like they won't even go that far. This may be the one thing that was a bridge too far, changing my mind on Tesla as far as recommendation and continued ownership, 5 months in.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of the car after this, while I still can without taking a giant hit.

The reasoning isn't "selling the car over an ugly screen" like many here I'm sure are ready to say. It's the entire interaction and relationship between the customer and the company. This screen is the absolute centerpiece of the interior of the car, and the car's technology-centered design is why people pay a premium for it.

If the response from Tesla is 'eh, too bad, yeah we f'd up but it's your problem now' - that's bad faith. I already don't believe I'll ever see HW3; and now this.

I hope they do an about face on this, but no I don't think they will. Probably should just pay the $1345 to keep resale value and get rid of the thing.

I really don't know why more people aren't more angry about this turn of events.