Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't know why more people aren't more angry about this turn of events.
Well, at over six years, it's about time to replace the computer to MCU2 anyway, replacing the screen at that time isn't a particularly big deal. Over the six years, I've found that Tesla really does try to look after their customers in the majority of cases. I can't say that about cars I've had from other manufacturers.

Reactions: SO16 and dark cloud
OK, so I can add my saga to the thread. I was scheduled for a screen replacement today via mobile service, but just received a call from Tesla. They claimed they just found out the screens they received were not the new revised ones as they originally thought, but actually the old ones. As a result, he said I could have the screen replaced, but the yellow borders would definitely come back within a few months.

Although the replacement could be done today with the old screen, it would cost about $1,300. However he claimed a new screen would be available this summer and would be 'free of charge'. I asked why that screen would be free and the old one, still under warranty, would cost $1,300. He claimed because they knew that one would fail too, it would generate yet another replacement.

I'm not paying $1,300 for a screen whose future is uncertain, but I am a bit skeptical at this point as to what will happen in the near future. I asked him what's the guarantee that when this new screen comes out (IF it comes out), that Tesla's policy won't change and they'll decide to charge for that. He claimed my screen IS defective, under warranty, and Tesla must make good on replacement. Hmm, wasn't that the policy until a few weeks ago, even when replacing the screens with new ones of the same design?

We shall see.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and docbrown
The cause of the yellowing is not heat. How many times do I have to explain it?

It could be pressure related rather than temperature. In my own research on this issue, I can across a bunch of examples from laptops and cell phones where something warped behind the screen causing a very similar yellowing effect.

EDIT - I know people will ask, here are a few links:

Replacement Screen has yellow pressure marks at top-center when closed - iPhone 6s

Pressure Damage to an LCD Screen

Troubleshooting for Yellow Spot / Stress Marks after iPhone Screen Replacement – HCQS Insider News

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Just got off the phone with mobile ranger to schedule an appointment for my drivers door handle. I asked about the yellow banding issue and she indicated that they are finalizing a fix with an external tool that goes over the screen. Once they have worked out the kinks then they will start repairing those with the yellow banding. That sounds to me they are NOT replacing screens but instead using some method to make the yellow banding caused by the adhesive to go away. We'll see I guess.

The cause of the yellowing is not heat. How many times do I have to explain it?

I've explained this to people too, but still get people insisting it's heat. "It's a wear and tear part, you just have to use cabin overheat protection!" - Look, folks, not every Tesla owner lives in California. (I know, this is an absolute shock! But it's a fact! In actuality, DAErik, the youtuber who reported the replacement screens due to him having his replaced, is in Colorado and lives about two miles from me. It's cold for him, too, and his yellowed as well!) And unless I want to set my cabin overheat protection to 50'F, that theory is a non starter.

I got the car in December 2018. In Colorado. It was built in December, and I picked it up in the cold. And by cold I mean 20'F weather, not 55'F.

As of LAST WEEK, where I live, and where the car has existed for it's entire life, it hasn't gotten over 45'F. We had snow last week.

The screen hasn't even had a chance to get hot, the interior of the car hasn't had a chance to get hot yet. But my screen is yellowing.

If it's heat, how do you guys explain it, then? Is my car in the Level 5 FSD beta and driving itself to Reno each weekend without me knowing?

Last edited:
They claimed they just found out the screens they received were not the new revised ones as they originally thought, but actually the old ones. As a result, he said I could have the screen replaced, but the yellow borders would definitely come back within a few months.

Although the replacement could be done today with the old screen, it would cost about $1,300. However he claimed a new screen would be available this summer and would be 'free of charge'. I asked why that screen would be free and the old one, still under warranty, would cost $1,300. He claimed because they knew that one would fail too, it would generate yet another replacement.

I hate these mixed messages. We're hearing a new story every day. I want to cling to ones like this, that say they're being honest and just messed up, made a mistake, and will still make it right. But they're outnumbered by the "software fix" noise. One guy on /r/teslamotors on reddit even had his SC tell him that they were going to put some kind of tape frame over the yellowing to hide it.

Thanks for your weigh-in of information. Looks like I'll have to see if the story has changed with my local SC's next week.

Because you implied that by calling them a troll then used as an example "did the Tesla death clock years ago"...which is innacurate. So you are actually questioning the validity of said article.

“Finally, it is worth noting that the blogger who fabricated this issue, which then caused negative and incorrect news to be written about Tesla by reputable institutions, is Edward Niedermeyer. This is the same gentle soul who previously wrote a blog titled “Tesla Death Watch,” which starting on May 19, 2008 was counting the days until Tesla’s death. It has now been 2,944 days. We just checked our pulse and, much to his chagrin, appear to be alive. It is probably wise to take Mr. Niedermeyer’s words with at least a small grain of salt.”

A Grain of Salt