Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in short, much like DAErik, maybe we need to have youtube channels in order to get our screens replaced.
It seems Elon is encouraging people complaining and generating bad media by only addressing the concerns of those who create such negative content. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, except you have to squeak loudly to the media, not to Tesla or Elon.

• Funny
Reactions: hpartsch
So in short, much like DAErik, maybe we need to have youtube channels in order to get our screens replaced.
As I said before, I learned that the new screens were available when I read this thread the day it started. Called my SC immediately & order was placed & confirmed immediately, then I was very proactively checking on it and was able to get an appointment the day after it arrived. The next day they stopped replacing them. I was very lucky. One day later & I would have been out of luck.

Yes, that is why I said that. @verygreen even tweeted about it yesterday:
I tried 16.1, still very noticeable difference with traffic off (though at least I was able to load a simple html page with a picture after a minute or two so with traffic ON). Car just installed 16.2, will try tomorrow if I remember to try.

Btw, this must be an important update for Tesla as this is only the second time EVER (in 2.5 years of owning 2 Model S'es) that a firmware update got deployed to both cars on the same night. The last one was when they did the major increase to the autopilot nags. I wonder what was so urgent. Of course, it could be a coincidence, but still, only the seconds time ever.

Last edited:
I tried 16.1, still very noticeable difference with traffic off (though at least I was able to load a simple html page with a picture after a minute or two so with traffic ON). Car just installed 16.2, will try tomorrow if I remember to try.

Btw, this must be an important update for Tesla as this is only the second time EVER (in 2.5 years of owning 2 Model S'es) that a firmware update got deployed to both cars on the same night. The last one was when they did the major increase to the autopilot nags. I wonder what was so urgent. Of course, it could be a coincidence, but still, only the seconds time ever.
To update, 16.2 might have fixed the traffic problem. I played around with it a little, and didn't as much difference in browser performance with traffic on/off. Browser still incredibly slow and locked up completely the next day (won't load anything, not even tesla.com or google.com) - a reboot might help but I stopped caring enough to do that.

As I said before, I learned that the new screens were available when I read this thread the day it started. Called my SC immediately & order was placed & confirmed immediately, then I was very proactively checking on it and was able to get an appointment the day after it arrived. The next day they stopped replacing them. I was very lucky. One day later & I would have been out of luck.

I still think they will need to eventually replace these screens under warranty.

There's just no way they can not fix such an obvious defect.

And a "fix" would not constitute yellowing out the rest of the screen and then messing with the color palette that is rendered on the MCU. It needs to be a hardware fix so that the display screen is physically clear, as it should be.

Tesla Mobile Service is here as I type this and they have an invoice for customer-pay for the screen. As I mentioned I'm probably going to go ahead and do it; it is Revision-C, before I make a final decision I'm going to make sure the existing screen in my (5 month old car) is Rev-A or Rev-B.

Yes, I'm upset about this but I do not have faith in their solutions going forward. And it seems they certainly can just not fix it. So it sucks, but I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig on whether or not -C doesn't yellow.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: croman and gnumeric
Tesla Mobile Service is here as I type this and they have an invoice for customer-pay for the screen. As I mentioned I'm probably going to go ahead and do it; it is Revision-C, before I make a final decision I'm going to make sure the existing screen in my (5 month old car) is Rev-A or Rev-B.

Yes, I'm upset about this but I do not have faith in their solutions going forward. And it seems they certainly can just not fix it. So it sucks, but I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig on whether or not -C doesn't yellow.

Thanks for your sacrifice, Michidragon. I’ll be keeping an eye out for updates.

Make sure you get to keep the old screen.

I realize you want to get this fixed but I am sure you also realize that you are paying for a warranty repair you should not have to pay for...

If they have a Revision C of the display, is that the revision that does not yellow?

Reactions: hpartsch

I'm NOT recommending it, but in your case I'd consider putting the bill for the new screen on a new (or rarely used) credit card and then calling the card company to reject the charges after the install is done. An emotional but perhaps effective response to "questionable warranty handling" by Tesla.