Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Unlikely they will swap all screens. It's a wear and tear part. Wouldn't have yellowed if you didn't use it.
Well that's just silly. They wouldn't have fixed any door handles if that were the case. By that logic, nothing would ever be covered under warranty since you can simply allow it to sit in your garage to avoid needing repairs. This is clearly a QC issue because had they selected a supplier with higher quality screens to supply this wouldn't have happened. This is part of the cost doing business for Tesla as these sorts of growing pains will happen when they're trying to predict the future for these suppliers without overspending.

Reactions: croman
Totally disagree. Tesla has admitted they had a problem with the screens. They yellowing isn't due to "wear and tear"...it happens to brand new screens which have never been used just sitting in a car because it is a de-lamination of the layers in the screen (most likely due to temperature). This is a design defect, Tesla has acknowledged it, and is designing a new part/new manufacturer to meet the required specifications...
True, and they could never claim wear and tear on a few months old S like mine, and I’m sure there are many others out there

That's what will likely happen. The old screens were not manufactured to specifications (likely quality specs) and thus Tesla gets the new ones for free or severely discounted. Tesla will eat the labor of the swap out but, if I was them, I'd be setting up a procedure and training technicians to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible. Have one or more designated "screen techs" at each service center where the benefit of doing it time after time should yield some labor reductions...

94CB26CC-8932-4CCC-976F-543732304694.png
No idea if this is a new part number or not but this is what they installed:

I don't believe that is the case. As linked to by @resinpimp above, the Tesla parts catalog shows just the screen as: SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY, RMN. I'm not sure what the "RMN" stands for in their coding, but I don't believe it is "Remanufactured" because this is the parts list and it doesn't list a similar part without the RMN... In addition, given that the "new, redesigned" screens represent just that, a new design, it doesn't make any sense that they would be remanufactured...a redesign implies something different and is treated as a totally different part for parts purposes in any inventory control system...

I don't believe that is the case. As linked to by @resinpimp above, the Tesla parts catalog shows just the screen as: SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY, RMN. I'm not sure what the "RMN" stands for in their coding, but I don't believe it is "Remanufactured" because this is the parts list and it doesn't list a similar part without the RMN... In addition, given that the "new, redesigned" screens represent just that, a new design, it doesn't make any sense that they would be remanufactured...a redesign implies something different and is treated as a totally different part for parts purposes in any inventory control system...

Agreed. Plus Tesla would have to have second-hand screens available to actually remanufacture. The yellow border issue seems to stretch over (10's of?) thousands of cars so even if they could establish a supply of old screens (where from?), how could they find enough of them? Not ignoring that the cost of doing a remanufacture would quite likely be higher than a new screen.

Reactions: drklain
Agreed. In my experience, LCD screens (just like the ones in phones and computers) are effectively disposable assets. You can economically replace the screen in it's container (phone, computer monitor, etc.) but you then throw away the old screen... Of course I could be totally wrong here but I just see remanufacturing them as a cost-effective option.