Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! Are you trying to escalate this? This is unacceptable given that the screen is faulty to begin with.
Wow! Are you trying to escalate this? This is unacceptable given that the screen is faulty to begin with.
I have been scheduled once for screen change but they cancelled for not having the part available. I have another one set for June. They agreed tyo change it but based on what I am reading here they may ask me to pay. This sounds so ridiculous. I want them to argue with me that this is just OK! Honestly I would not work for Tesla if I would have to tell customers this. Tesla does not need more bad publicity … and as stated before we are customers who forked more than 100 grand. One of the reasons to buy was customer service. If this is the trend… it will be the end of Tesla. Mouth to mouth that worked for them will just reverse. How difficult is to make the list with the most spread issues - screen yellowing, struts rattling etc issues with parts that are bad.

I realize that the yellow banding around the screen is just cosmetic, but the same could be said if there was yellow discoloring of the exterior paint job. It would still be considered unacceptable. This is a major disappointment in my book. My car is only 16 months old, garage kept, and the overheat protection has always been on. To have this happen to a car that cost over $100k is an embarrassment to me, and should be to Tesla as well. C'mon man! Step up Elon!

Just saw this thread. I was waiting til they had the new screen to request mine to be replaced. I have service appt this Friday for some other stuff, and was already going to ask about this. Looks like I’m not going to like what I hear.

This smells like an effort to conserve cost. But it’s stupid. Glad I leased. Last time I was approaching time to re-up or quit my lease (S85D) was when the AP2 promise stuff and charging throttling was happening. I waited til those got (mostly) resolved before moving forward. I’m about 2 years out from retirement, and was hoping to buy the next one. If they continue to be stupid, I will have to reevaluate my options, which include looking at other EVs. I would be sad to leave, but when I retire, I won’t have budget for stupid. I would consider talking to some of the “tuners” here about ways to keep and have them fix, but we will see..

I had mine replaced last week. It took about an hour by a ranger. Appointment has been scheduled for several weeks, and I originally reported it around August of last year.

Seems like Tesla should already have had an idea of how much this massive replacement would cost since it seems all Model S and X have this issue from date x to date y (probably the recent refresh). I suspect this is a supply issue. and maybe its because Model S and Model X sales have rebounded since they were refreshed (speculating).

Hi everyone

I had my screen replacement scheduled for today.

I was travelling to the SC this morning and 5 minutes before I was about to arrive Tesla called me to say they’ve had a memo to not replace anymore screens and my appointment was cancelled!!

Apparently Tesla have developed a module that will clear the yellow lines around the screen but these have yet to be sent to service centres and I’ve been told I’ll be contacted once this is available so they can fix my screen rather than replace it.

This is crap! No module can do that.

Maybe they have some kind of vacuum attachment that replaces the discolored material. (Such that they would be refurbishing the displays in the field.)

It could be that the display manufacturer came up with this equipment/plan because they didn't want to deal with replacing and refurbishing all of the screens themselves. So I will wait and hold judgment until after Tesla shows their plan for remediation.

I realize that the yellow banding around the screen is just cosmetic, but the same could be said if there was yellow discoloring of the exterior paint job. It would still be considered unacceptable. This is a major disappointment in my book. My car is only 16 months old, garage kept, and the overheat protection has always been on. To have this happen to a car that cost over $100k is an embarrassment to me, and should be to Tesla as well. C'mon man! Step up Elon!
I suggest escalating, like mentioned above.

Maybe they have some kind of vacuum attachment that replaces the discolored material. (Such that they would be refurbishing the displays in the field.)

It could be that the display manufacturer came up with this equipment/plan because they didn't want to deal with replacing and refurbishing all of the screens themselves. So I will wait and hold judgment until after Tesla shows their plan for remediation.

I also just talked to a service rep about it. He said he had a picture of it up and it attaches to the screen for some unspecified amount of time and has fans attached. Sounds like it does, in fact, replace or take out the affected material. No timeline for now for when that process will be available, but the tool has been developed and is going through testing.

I agree. Unlikely they will swap all screens. It's a wear and tear part. Wouldn't have yellowed if you didn't use it.

Called this last month... got dislikes only. Why? Was obvious to me Tesla was going to try to weasel their way out of this. Too much work to replace all screens. The ones that got their screens replaced in time (I did not) are super lucky. As always with Tesla, everything is fluid and nothing is for sure.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
There are phone displays with similar issues. And some reports in forums that 10 minutes under UV light in the nail salon can fix that (really, google it). Maybe tesla does something similar. A big screen size UV light.

Sounds like it "sun bleaches" the yellowing material? Interesting solution. I hope it works out since the screen in my X has the dreaded yellow borders.

FWIW, I have an appointment to get my screen replaced next week. I received a text from the SC today to tell me they were ordering a new screen for me. In my original service request through the mobile app, I specified the replacement part number from someone here who actually got the new screen. I have asked the SC to verify the part number they are ordering, I will report back when/if I hear something. I'm extremely, cautiously, optimistic.

Called this last month... got dislikes only. Why? Was obvious to me Tesla was going to try to weasel their way out of this. Too much work to replace all screens. The ones that got their screens replaced in time (I did not) are super lucky. As always with Tesla, everything is fluid and nothing is for sure.
I have openly shared to other owners and anyone on here reading my posts that I was skeptical Tesla would pro-actively replace these like the SHOULD. If they don't keep their promise, we should class action sue them. I have multiple emails in writing stating they would replace my screen once the parts became available. Not fix with some UV light, replace the screen when the parts became available.

We need to hold this company accountable for us and future owners after us

I have openly shared to other owners and anyone on here reading my posts that I was skeptical Tesla would pro-actively replace these like the SHOULD. If they don't keep their promise, we should class action sue them. I have multiple emails in writing stating they would replace my screen once the parts became available. Not fix with some UV light, replace the screen when the parts became available.

If their tool fixes the issue, what damages are you going to sue them for?

Demanding that they not fix the issue, but instead give you a new screen for free seems kinda weird. Not seeing the justification for that.

If they can repair the screen they have no obligation to replace it. The emails you got were the best information that service had at the time, and is now outdated. Even while they were telling some people that, they were telling other people that engineering was working on fixing existing screens...

Reactions: GSP and SO16
FWIW, I have an appointment to get my screen replaced next week. I received a text from the SC today to tell me they were ordering a new screen for me. In my original service request through the mobile app, I specified the replacement part number from someone here who actually got the new screen. I have asked the SC to verify the part number they are ordering, I will report back when/if I hear something. I'm extremely, cautiously, optimistic.

I hope you are luckier than I was. They led me to believe I was getting a new screen this past Saturday, all the way up until the mobile service technician showed up to my house, who then explained to me that they were no longer replacing the screens for that issue. I guess they felt like it was better explaining this in person rather than phone, email or text. He then did a 'courtesy inspection'.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP