Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A common problem with old white ABS plastics is the fire retardant goes yellow over time. A common trick in the retro computer world to bring back a yellowed computer case (think Amiga 500 etc) is a mix of Hydrogen Peroxide (hair bleach) and Oxy action type washing power (Google Retrobrite).
You paint the plastic with that mix then expose it to low level UV (eg the sun) for between hours and days depending on UV levels.
It works a treat. they look as good as new again but guess what, the yellowing returns over time.
I guarantee this band-aid fix Tesla is doing it nothing more than hoping the screens look good long enough for the car to be out of warranty.
I suspect the screen was built to their 'cheap' spec, the manufacturer has said 'we told you' and they are not covering the costs, instead Tesla is and now they need to weasel out of it.

Do you have any proof of your assertion that they are not replacing the screens with ones that are fixed and won't yellow but are instead resorting to a clean-up band-aid? Everything I've heard suggests that they are using a new screen that will not yellow.

If their tool fixes the issue, what damages are you going to sue them for?

I'm pretty sure the only way UV could fix the problem with the existing glue would be if the problem was caused by the glue not being cured properly to begin with, and that's a problem that would be obvious on day one, rather than appearing after the car is several months old.

In all likelihood, what they're doing is using heat to soften the glue so they can delaminate the front glass and peel off the glue strips, then applying new cement and using UV to cure the new glue.

I'm pretty sure the only way UV could fix the problem with the existing glue would be if the problem was caused by the glue not being cured properly to begin with, and that's a problem that would be obvious on day one, rather than appearing after the car is several months old.

In all likelihood, what they're doing is using heat to soften the glue so they can delaminate the front glass and peel off the glue strips, then applying new cement and using UV to cure the new glue.

I don’t think we actually know they’re using UV at all. That was conjecture by a poster here...

Reactions: MP3Mike
I don’t think we actually know they’re using UV at all. That was conjecture by a poster here...

And as I noted in an earlier post today, my Service Center (Rockville, MD) said, as of today, Tesla is reviewing things, i.e., there is no fix at the moment. I relayed the different things noted in this thread, and I mentioned the article in Inverse. He seemed aware of all of it. I have worked with this individual for 4 years, so I don’t think we misunderstood each other.

And as I noted in an earlier post today, my Service Center (Rockville, MD) said, as of today, Tesla is reviewing things, i.e., there is no fix at the moment. I relayed the different things noted in this thread, and I mentioned the article in Inverse. He seemed aware of all of it. I have worked with this individual for 4 years, so I don’t think we misunderstood each other.

Hm. The service tech I spoke to yesterday said they had a tool ready that's supposed to fix it but that it was going through testing. Said he had a picture of the tool up on his screen and described it(he said it looks like a frame with a bunch of fans on it).

I don't care how they fix this but I would like to see a permanent fix so even if it takes them a bit longer to come up with a permanent fix, I'm okay as long as this is fixed for good. The yellow border was there when I took delivery of the car so it seems to happen quickly just a few months after production even for 2018 MY cars.

When I took delivery, I was promised, they would fix the yellow border.

Reactions: Superendo and sauce
I can’t imagine any plausible scenario where the labor necessary to delaminate an LCD, scrape off a bunch of defective glue and then manually put everything back together without muffing something up is more cost effective for Tesla than just replacing with a new screen.

No way in hell.

Tesla than just replacing with a new screen.

The problem is that Tesla does not replace subparts. They replace the whole unit. The same happens with inverters that get defect. The most expensive option for customers as 1. Tesla parts are *crazy* expensive and 2. hourly wage is *very* high for simple car mechanics. Because they have so many repairs to do due to their stupid quarterly sales rush strategy they only focus on quick repairs.

View attachment 400023 No idea if this is a new part number or not but this is what they installed:

I had a mobile ranger replace mine as well last Friday. Have the same part number, definitely different from the old panel when I compared part numbers.

Sounds like my mobile ranger got guidance saying that they aren’t going to replace every single persons screen who has yellowing, instead he said a coming software fix will be the main way they deal with this issue, which I’ve been hearing for quite a while. He said most who want a new screen will have to pay. This is per some briefing they had just recently. He made it sound like I was pretty lucky to have my screen replaced.

After seeing the 1.5 hour process they go through to tear the dashboard apart, unplug the screens and various cables from the motherboard, I can understand why they are avoiding the hardware fix.

In terms of the new screen, pretty tough to notice any difference besides no yellow ring. Maybe slightly more contrast. Same screen resolution. No improvement in response as expected without replacing MCU.

he said a coming software fix will be the main way they deal with this issue, which I’ve been hearing for quite a while. He said most who want a new screen will have to pay. This is per some briefing they had just recently. He made it sound like I was pretty lucky to have my screen replaced.

It continues to amaze me how many people buy that a 'software fix' is even remotely possible. This defect is not in the active, software-addressed part of the display. Most of the yellowing is reflective, and will appear when there is no power to the car. The yellow band would be evident if the HV and 12v battery were removed from the car. Software cannot address this. I know many people seem to think Tesla's software is "magic", but software cannot cure physical defects in the adhesive.

Did the mobile service guy explain to you what gets people into the 'replacement vs you have to pay for our miscalculations' club?

Reactions: DCEV
It continues to amaze me how many people buy that a 'software fix' is even remotely possible. This defect is not in the active, software-addressed part of the display. Most of the yellowing is reflective, and will appear when there is no power to the car. The yellow band would be evident if the HV and 12v battery were removed from the car. Software cannot address this. I know many people seem to think Tesla's software is "magic", but software cannot cure physical defects in the adhesive.

Did the mobile service guy explain to you what gets people into the 'replacement vs you have to pay for our miscalculations' club?

I never mentioned I bought into it, just stating what he told me. It’s true the yellow banding requires a hardware fix to resolve the issue in total, however that doesn’t mean you can’t lesson the effect with software to make it less noticeable when the screen is on. He tried to convince me out of replacement and asked if I wanted to wait for the software fix.

Also he didn’t relay the criteria, sounds more like blind luck with timing.

Sounds like my mobile ranger got guidance saying that they aren’t going to replace every single persons screen who has yellowing, instead he said a coming software fix will be the main way they deal with this issue, which I’ve been hearing for quite a while. He said most who want a new screen will have to pay. This is per some briefing they had just recently. He made it sound like I was pretty lucky to have my screen replaced.

I call bullshit on this. This is not something you can fix with software. All you can do is change the GUI so it doesn't show as easy, but the yellowing is still there.

Tesla can't say 'we wont fix this', as it is a defect. You have warranty, they will have to address the issue by fixing the part. Covering it up by making a GUI chance in the software is not fixing it.

For what its worth: My screen has been replaced already (earlier this month). Seems fine so far.

Reactions: DCEV
Maybe they are attempting some color shifting in those areas of the screen. Maybe they can hide the yellow by some color wheel magic. This would only work while the screen is on obviously. And only if the yellow area is consistent across all screens.

Either way, for us lurkers who are on the fence to buy a used S, these issues are really turning me off from becoming an owner.