Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It isn't, but it's what I was worried about honestly, when the talk of "firmware" even came up. I'm assuming they're going to have some blue-shift on the border to cut through the yellow stain and make it less visible. Which really isn't going to work since it's uneven and incongruent.

I'm guessing they're going to hide behind 'just cosmetic'.. Interesting that they replaced the screens for "youtube influencers" right away, but us regular folk... not gonna happen, it seems.
Probably got it because I was very proactive. Their was no YouTube influence. I contacted the SC the day this thread started and the order was placed that day. Then I stayed on top of it to get an appointment set up.

So, are these new screens in any way discernibly different, other than the lack of yellow banding? Blacker clacks, brighter colors, sharper images, faster redraw?

I was told mine was on a list for replacement when I bought it, without asking for one ....

So, are these new screens in any way discernibly different, other than the lack of yellow banding? Blacker clacks, brighter colors, sharper images, faster redraw?

I was told mine was on a list for replacement when I bought it, without asking for one ....
It could be my imagination but I think it is sharper. I really notice it in the backup camera. Of course, I did wash the car the other day as well so the camera lens but just still be clean and I didn't notice before the screen was replaced.

It could be my imagination but I think it is sharper. I really notice it in the backup camera. Of course, I did wash the car the other day as well so the camera lens but just still be clean and I didn't notice before the screen was replaced.
Agreed. As I mentioned in my video post #50, seems brighter (more like our Model 3 screen) so sharper. It also seems to have much less glare & reflectiveness. Looks less glossy to me.
Seems interesting that these became available almost simultaneous to the drive train & Suspension improvements to S & Xs.
Seems likely these are going into these new S & Xs as well. Might also explain supply issues initially. Prioritizing production line for new orders.

Agreed. As I mentioned in my video post #50, seems brighter (more like our Model 3 screen) so sharper. It also seems to have much less glare & reflectiveness. Looks less glossy to me.
Seems interesting that these became available almost simultaneous to the drive train & Suspension improvements to S & Xs.
Seems likely these are going into these new S & Xs as well. Might also explain supply issues initially. Prioritizing production line for new orders.
Although the quality of the image on my old screen had deteriorated dramatically slowly over time, so my comparison is likely tainted.

One would hope. My car has been scheduled to go into service for a number of items (including new MCU screen first diagnosed last October) for over three weeks. Service scheduled for yesterday...night before I get a text saying appointment cancelled due to need for parts and they will get back to me with a new appointment. I'm less than happy...and if it turns out that they ultimately say they won't replace the screen unless I pay, I will be furious.

I'm less than happy...and if it turns out that they ultimately say they won't replace the screen unless I pay, I will be furious.

Get ready to be furious, I guess. I've spent all day talking to Tesla on this. I'd be very surprised if we saw another report of a replaced yellow border screen here. Unless they want to just finish up a few that they already had in queue.

I'm getting close to "furious" on this except there's not much that said fury will do. They're likely going to say its a cosmetic defect so not covered, somehow blame it on "wear and tear" (it isn't. I know some apologists have said it is, but it's not; its not 'hot days'; we've had none here in Colorado since I picked my car up, and there are new cars being delivered that already have the problem.) , or really try that crazy 'firmware fix' idea (which would amount to adding blue borders on the graphic of the display itself to visually counteract the yellow. From what I hear the plan is to have the service center 'adjust' these graphical counteracting borders in service mode. Which wouldn't help since a good majority of this yellowing is reflective. Worse in sunlight due to that.)

For a while I was happy this was finally good news, I saw the youtube videos of people getting it fixed - thought "wow tesla actually came through like they said on this one". But nope. As usual, its fluid, dynamic, and changes for the worse.

All of this just makes me wonder how they'll weasel out of HW3 for FSD purchasers, too. Because I'm really feeling that after this turnaround.

It is funny you mention the Model 3. When I first tried the backup camera I thought, "wow, it now looks just like my Model 3 image now".

I had replacement of my screen scheduled for next Thursday and heard from the service rep that I’d now have to pay if I want it replaced. See below.

Good afternoon, I have some new around your touchscreen, I was provided with some information that changes things a lot for your appointment. Tesla is attempting to provided a free "healing" service that will eliminate the yellow lines without replacement or even remove of the unit. We are awaiting further details, whether this service will be mobile capable or not and when we will receive the equipment if it is considered mobile capable. In the interim I am sorry to say that if you do wish to have the touch screen changed we would have to charge you ,I apologize, this is new company policy that was given to use earlier today, please let me know if i can provide you with an estimate, thank you

So what is the estimated cost to replace?

I haven’t heard back yet.

I bought a showroom car last July and it had the yellow bands when I got it. They gave me the choice of having a new screen installed then with the chance it would yellow again vs waiting for the new ones so I opted to wait for a new one and now that the new ones are in I still can’t have it replaced.

It was late yesterday afternoon when I heard from the service adviser and I guess they work Mon thru Fri.

I haven’t heard back yet.

I bought a showroom car last July and it had the yellow bands when I got it. They gave me the choice of having a new screen installed then with the chance it would yellow again vs waiting for the new ones so I opted to wait for a new one and now that the new ones are in I still can’t have it replaced.

It was late yesterday afternoon when I heard from the service adviser and I guess they work Mon thru Fri.
If you have that agreement in writing you should be able to hold them to it. I am an engineer, not a lawyer, but this appears to me to be in the sales agreement. There are new screens available and that is the option you chose. I don't see how they can change their mind on this.

If Tesla wants their flagship cars to showcase and show this to the word we are simply suckers
IMG_20190512_124219.jpg
IMG_20190512_124126.jpg

I realize that the yellow banding around the screen is just cosmetic, but the same could be said if there was yellow discoloring of the exterior paint job. It would still be considered unacceptable. This is a major disappointment in my book. My car is only 16 months old, garage kept, and the overheat protection has always been on. To have this happen to a car that cost over $100k is an embarrassment to me, and should be to Tesla as well. C'mon man! Step up Elon!

Reactions: GSP and croman