Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are phone displays with similar issues. And some reports in forums that 10 minutes under UV light in the nail salon can fix that (really, google it). Maybe tesla does something similar. A big screen size UV light.
Sounds like it "sun bleaches" the yellowing material? Interesting solution. I hope it works out since the screen in my X has the dreaded yellow borders.
This is what I'm suspecting. Photodegradation. The same process used to be used to whiten teeth.

When the film shrinks slightly the edges break their bond and the glue oxydizes, causing the yellowing. This is cheap manufacturing. I'm sure that Tesla is now in a ferocious fight with their supplier over who pays.

But the coloring is organic (as opposed to mineral), and so can be bleached. Ultraviolet light in the 280–400-nm range breaks down chemical bonds and thus fades organic pigments.

This will work for the immediate term. Over time though oxygen may reach further into the film and require another treatment.

Has anyone tried just removing the film?

If they can repair the screen they have no obligation to replace it. The emails you got were the best information that service had at the time, and is now outdated. Even while they were telling some people that, they were telling other people that engineering was working on fixing existing screens...
BS. Don't answer people in writing (who are wanting to ensure the problem will be fixed before they purchase a car that had this issue) that you will be REPLACING the screen then. Say "we are analyzing our options but will be sure the issue is either fixed OR replaced by timeframe X" ... Words MATTER.... especially in legal contracts. They agreed (in writing) to replace the faulty screen. Not "try and fix it"... "replace" <> "try to repair/fix".

This is what I'm suspecting. Photodegradation. The same process used to be used to whiten teeth.

When the film shrinks slightly the edges break their bond and the glue oxydizes, causing the yellowing. This is cheap manufacturing. I'm sure that Tesla is now in a ferocious fight with their supplier over who pays.

But the coloring is organic (as opposed to mineral), and so can be bleached. Ultraviolet light in the 280–400-nm range breaks down chemical bonds and thus fades organic pigments.

This will work for the immediate term. Over time though oxygen may reach further into the film and require another treatment.

Has anyone tried just removing the film?
Exactly... this "repair" is cosmetic and will likely weaken the glue causing some other issue like bubbling or the top layer pulling away around the edges or who knows what.. That's assuming they can get all the yellowing removed with this process.. big assume. The proper route is to KEEP YOUR PROMISE to all your customers and REPLACE the DEFECTIVE part

BS. Don't answer people in writing (who are wanting to ensure the problem will be fixed before they purchase a car that had this issue) that you will be REPLACING the screen then. Say "we are analyzing our options but will be sure the issue is either fixed OR replaced by timeframe X" ... Words MATTER.... especially in legal contracts. They agreed (in writing) to replace the faulty screen. Not "try and fix it"... "replace" <> "try to repair/fix".

Even if they replace the screen they might just replace it with one that has been refurbished by the same method.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Even if they replace the screen they might just replace it with one that has been refurbished by the same method.
Perhaps for some.. But they actually wrote "new" in emails to me. This was of course during the purchase of an inventory loaner (new) and I pointed it out and demanded I wanted it in writing they would replace it when the new ones became available. I did this so I wouldn't run into problems when Tesla inevitably tried to renege on their promise (like they always do)

There are phone displays with similar issues. And some reports in forums that 10 minutes under UV light in the nail salon can fix that (really, google it). Maybe tesla does something similar. A big screen size UV light.
A common problem with old white ABS plastics is the fire retardant goes yellow over time. A common trick in the retro computer world to bring back a yellowed computer case (think Amiga 500 etc) is a mix of Hydrogen Peroxide (hair bleach) and Oxy action type washing power (Google Retrobrite).
You paint the plastic with that mix then expose it to low level UV (eg the sun) for between hours and days depending on UV levels.
It works a treat. they look as good as new again but guess what, the yellowing returns over time.
I guarantee this band-aid fix Tesla is doing it nothing more than hoping the screens look good long enough for the car to be out of warranty.
I suspect the screen was built to their 'cheap' spec, the manufacturer has said 'we told you' and they are not covering the costs, instead Tesla is and now they need to weasel out of it.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Anyone else have experiences with SCs or an update? I'm currently scheduled for a service appointment next week.

Im in the UK, SC just rang me to inform me of the progress for my issue and that a "repair" would be available in the next 2 months. Alternatively if i wanted it done now I could pay £1k and have anew screen! i mean A thousand pound is ridiculous and with no incentive at all. For 1k maybe chuck in a hardware upgrade, try and sell it to me! I asked and the SC said nobody had taken this route...not bloody surprised!

They are cutting corners on defects on parts that affect multiple drivers. For example there is a track about the front struts on Tesla model S after 2017 basically with the new front. The part is by Bilstein, they came with a new part and this one is now failing within 1-2k of driving and Tesla now won't do anything about it. This is spread around the world... people in Norway and Netherlands are very vocal. I am sure there are other issues. These are 3rd party parts that are failing... replacing them is very costly, I get that but by choosing to just drop the ball and do nothing it turns Tesla is a very bad experience. It is enough that a car accident is a nightmare and we chose to leave with that. But for their own mistakes the service must be 5 star. They were known for that. This is now going to toilet.... Very sad. This are the real issues that can sink Tesla. Would I advise any friend to get a car like this? They could have issues but not willing to fix them is a whole new angle. Employees should take a stance ... Customer service is their only tool to fight the war built around Tesla.

I wish there was a way we could get Teslarati or Electrek to do a story on this... I wonder where else Tesla cut corners?
See post #107 - it hit the news already and apparently Tesla knows. I am scheduled for service on Friday and the SC called me about some items. We discussed this and their answer is “it’s under review.” I mentioned the various things being reported here, that it had been published in “Inverse” and that this problem was not “cosmetic.”

I don’t know if I would call it cutting corners, but in the same call I learned that there is no more annual service - it’s now bi-annual, ie every other year. They said their studies show that it isn’t needed annually.

I wish there was a way we could get Teslarati or Electrek to do a story on this... I wonder where else Tesla cut corners?

There's not much to write about until they know exactly what's going on. All we know so far is that:

1. Some screens develop yellow bands around the edges
2. Tesla has developed a tool they say can fix it

Everything else is people hyperventilating about what they think that means.

The cost of the LCD screens is low, you can purchase them for about $265.00. I am sure Tesla can get them for a lower price if they buy them in bulk
I guess the major cost of this issue is the replacement labor cost. But I am interested in the document saying these are only $265. If Tesla doesn't do the fix themselves, I might have to do it myself down the road when they have a good version to replace.