Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SDG&E rate: EV-TOU-5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting.. I noticed that now EV-TOU-5 gets a discount during all rate periods. It's five cents cheaper than EV-TOU-2 in the on-peak and off-peak periods. It wasn't like that when EV-TOU-5 was launched. In related news EV-TOU-2 customers will pay 59 cents/kWh this summer!

Last edited:
Is there an easy way to assess the value of these plans? I have a 5.4Kw solar system, but we have two M3's. We only charge after midnight, probably 2-3x's a week for me, and once for my wife. We were breaking even on our bill with solar when we just had one Tesla, but now we have two and installed HVAC, so I assume I'll be paying this year, but my true-up isn't until Sept. Anyone have a suggestion on how EV-TOU-5 would benefit or not? I'm assuming the $16/mo charge is the only down side, but since our electrical useage will at least double, its probably a good deal. .

Is there an easy way to assess the value of these plans? I have a 5.4Kw solar system, but we have two M3's. We only charge after midnight, probably 2-3x's a week for me, and once for my wife. We were breaking even on our bill with solar when we just had one Tesla, but now we have two and installed HVAC, so I assume I'll be paying this year, but my true-up isn't until Sept. Anyone have a suggestion on how EV-TOU-5 would benefit or not? I'm assuming the $16/mo charge is the only down side, but since our electrical useage will at least double, its probably a good deal. .

The calculator built into your sdge.com account will show you what you last year of usage would have cost on each plan. But since it sounds like your usage has changed within the last year, you'll have to make some adjustments to SDG&E's numbers.

Compared to EV-TOU-2, the downsides are the $16/month fee and the reduced value of solar generation. (Some solar generation happens during super off-peak times, when the rates are significantly reduced, and now the rates are also reduced modestly during off-peak and on-peak periods.) But given that you have two electric cars, I think it's very likely that the EV-TOU-5 would be a win over EV-TOU-2.

The calculator built into your sdge.com account will show you what you last year of usage would have cost on each plan. But since it sounds like your usage has changed within the last year, you'll have to make some adjustments to SDG&E's numbers.

Compared to EV-TOU-2, the downsides are the $16/month fee and the reduced value of solar generation. (Some solar generation happens during super off-peak times, when the rates are significantly reduced, and now the rates are also reduced modestly during off-peak and on-peak periods.) But given that you have two electric cars, I think it's very likely that the EV-TOU-5 would be a win over EV-TOU-2.

I've been on EV-TOU-5 for three months now and also have solar.. Solar is not valued at super off peak.. Its just Off Peak.. Super Off Peak happen between Midnight and 6:00am and those are the hours that are charged at the lowest rate. Even with the $16 service charge and my M3 charging all night and sometimes into the morning hours.. My electric bill has never been lower...

SBMartinez,
Don't forget the TOU periods were changed a couple of years ago...

Super off-peak is indeed midnight to 6am, but on weekdays. On weekends, it is from midnight to 2pm. In March and April, there is also a super off-peak period from 10am to 2pm...

Glad you are having good results with EV-TOU5....

TOUPeriods.jpg

Interesting, sounds like EV TOU 5 is a good call, although I wasn't aware they paid you less for power generated? With only 1 car, the $16/mo didn't make sense, since we were essentially generating what we needed. With a second car and HVAC, I expect to exceed our generation, but the trick is to figure out by how much, to see if the $16/mo is worth it, since $192 was more than we paid for the whole year last year. Anyone know if credits generated go towards the $16/mo when you make more than you use in a month?

Interesting, sounds like EV TOU 5 is a good call, although I wasn't aware they paid you less for power generated?

With net metering, SDG&E essentially pays you at the same rate that you pay them. (The major exception being when you over-generate, you only get paid the wholesale rate.) So when the rate goes down, you pay less for consumption and also get paid less for generation.

With only 1 car, the $16/mo didn't make sense, since we were essentially generating what we needed. With a second car and HVAC, I expect to exceed our generation, but the trick is to figure out by how much, to see if the $16/mo is worth it, since $192 was more than we paid for the whole year last year.

The car should be fairly easy to estimate, if you intend to do all your charging at night, since it will all be at 9.3 cents/kWh. HVAC is going to be trickier, since it likely spans time periods.

Anyone know if credits generated go towards the $16/mo when you make more than you use in a month?

I don't think the $16 is offset by net metering credits, but I don't generate enough to find out.

I am new here.

Moving to Carlsbad in a month, and will be on SDGE EV TOU 5 (Model 3 charging 12am-6am).
The house has no AC (South La Costa microclimate) but fully ready for it. I might install it if the heat proves to be uncomfortable. I expect the electricity cost to be around $120/mo without the AC.

The question is whether I should get:
- just 4kW ($8200 cash price)
- 4kW + 1 PW ($16700 cash price)
- 8kW ($16400 cash price)

Powerwalls are mostly for peak shaving 4-9pm (~$0.54 ATM). Less interested in backup aspect since I don't know whether power goes off in 92009 zip. Where we currently live we never had power offs). Ohm connect - mot sure how much I can get through it.

Reading through Sdge, Ev Tou5, Solar, Powerwall And Sgip?, How many Powerwalls should I get? and similar topics I am still not sure what would be the best value over 5-7 years horizon. Not looking to offset the bill fully.

I am new here.

Moving to Carlsbad in a month, and will be on SDGE EV TOU 5 (Model 3 charging 12am-6am).
The house has no AC (South La Costa microclimate) but fully ready for it. I might install it if the heat proves to be uncomfortable. I expect the electricity cost to be around $120/mo without the AC.

Powerwalls are mostly for peak shaving 4-9pm (~$0.54 ATM). Less interested in backup aspect since I don't know whether power goes off in 92009 zip. Where we currently live we never had power offs). Ohm connect - mot sure how much I can get through it.

Reading through Sdge, Ev Tou5, Solar, Powerwall And Sgip?, How many Powerwalls should I get? and similar topics I am still not sure what would be the best value over 5-7 years horizon. Not looking to offset the bill fully.

It’s not economic to get a powerwall, here, unless you can get it subsidized. Net metering means the grid acts like a battery. The reasons to get a powerwall are self-sufficiency (use only power you generate yourself) and backup in case of power outage.

Get a solar system that will cover your usage, considering how your usage might increase in the future. But given how cheap Tesla solar is, these days, I’d be tempted to get the 8kW system! (I think the prices you quote are before tax credit.)

Reactions: gaswalla
I am new here.

Regarding the EV TOU 5, I make sure the $16 a month charge is worth it, if you end up buying the larger system.

I got my Model 3 in Aug '18, and installed solar the same month. I have been on the TOU-DR plan. I over-generate each year and receive a small excess generation credit at the end of the year, which offsets some of the charges. I still have an amount due at the end of the year, however, due to the non-bypassable charges (this year the total I owed was $82). I am not sure the purpose of EV TOU 5 if you over-generate or break even. I would be spending an extra $192 a year that could not be offset.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
in regards to the $16:
On the other hand, SDGE gives out credits each year... last year everyone got an EV credit.
This year, there is the following credit schedule for everyone

GAS CA Climate Credit -

$21.11

ELECTRIC CA Climate Credit -

$32.28

$32.28

in regards to the $16:
On the other hand, SDGE gives out credits each year... last year everyone got an EV credit.
This year, there is the following credit schedule for everyone

GAS CA Climate Credit -

$21.11

ELECTRIC CA Climate Credit -

$32.28

$32.28

True, I do get the CA Climate credit.

This was my final bill for the last year:
YTD Net Metering Charges/Credits $ -
California Climate Credit $ (31.32)
Non-Bypassable Charges $ 163.53
Subtotal $ 132.21
Excess Generation Payment $ (49.68)
Additional Charges/Payments $ -
Current Account Balance $ 82.53

@Skelly, @gaswalla, @markb1 - thank you, folks! I see the consensus is to get 8kW and without a monthly fee.
I don't see buttons to "like" or mark as "helpful" sadly (Brave browser + privacy extensions).

Re. financing - Energy Sage (SolarMax) quotes 2.99% loan, and this sounds like a deal in case if I decide not to dump all cash. However, googling such loans proved to be non-trivial to finance a Tesla system. Tesla works with Mosaic (AFAIK and its rate is 5.99%).

Any suggestions for 2.99% or lower financing for $16.4k ?

Wondering if I could get some advice. Just got a Model 3 and thinking of switching plans to EVTOU5. We don’t have solar yet but maybe considering it. Is EVTOU5 generally the best plan to be on for charging the Model 3 during super off peak and potentially getting solar in the next year?

I am new here.

See if you are in a fire zone:
CPUC FireMap

If you are, you can possibly get substantial SGIP rebates for one or more powerwalls (be prepared to be PATIENT for both the powerwalls and the SGIP, and to act as a 2nd project manager yourself).

If you are not in a fire zone, the PWs will have a very long payback period, so I would recommend the 8kW solar system.

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak