Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Seats and Retro Fit Seats - Does anyone know when?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Raising this thread back up, I got a loaner today VIN 38XXX (I don't have the exact vin off-hand sorry), and when I sat down, I was like... Oh my! These are SOFT and comfy!

My car is 33853 so just about 5,000 cars later (and 2-3 months) and they must have changed something in the middle there. So, I am trying to find out from Rockville SC if this means that the new seats are out, and if and when a retrofit will be available. Especially since they have my car in the shop right now, if they can upgrade my seats I will be super happy!

Ask if it was the simple 'seat fix' or an entirely new seat. Hopefully if new seat it is offered as a retrofit as they said it would.

Ok, first off, the difference was noticed between two DIFFERENT cars. I had just handed over my 33k Vin and sat in the loaner which is a 38k Vin. I had no expectation for a better seat, since I wasn't expecting it the exist at all. So no, I would not say it is psychological at all. Also if your Vin is higher than 38 I would say that you have the newer seats. Since you are 30k, I don't know that I would believe what they told you. Find someone with a newer car and have a seat and see if you feel a difference.

Second I got back word about the mod they are going to do to my car. It is the fix that I believe I had heard others mention before, which is that they are changing the springs in the seat to make them more comfortable. The service tech was far more detailed about what and how they we modding the seat, but offhand I can't remember the exact details. So, modding current seats and NOT replacing them.

Finally, they were not sure if there would be another fix coming down the pipe or not. The service tech said that: one, many times we (owners) hear of things before they do since a lot of change come down the pipe without them knowing about it. Two: there were rumors going around that they might be doing a second seat that would be more comfortable. He suggested the terms a "sport seat" and "comfort seat". Again, just rumors he had heard, nothing official yet.

In Elon we trust, I suppose... Hopefully we still see this come. But I will say, those with a Vin in the 38s or higher should have a much nicer seat already!

Our SC modified my driver's seat a couple weeks ago. They partially removed some springs. The difference is very subtle, one I believe many people may not notice. I feel as if I'm sitting not quite a centimeter lower and now more in the seat than previously on the seat. This modification has not transformed my seat into one of the new seats described above but has moved a step in that direction. I was told the modification is irreversible and available gratis only on the driver's side.

Between when this thread started and now, Musk has talked further about the seats. He mentioned at the shareholder's meeting that a number of adjustments had already been made to the current style of seat and that one more adjustment was about to be made, which was a change in the lumbar placement. Perhaps, in the 38xxx VIN range, the new lumbar adjustment had been made (as well as all the other adjustments) and that was what chickensevil was noticing. In any event, here's the transcript of his response to a question about seat adjustments and new seats from the June meeting:

On the seats front, I have to admit that historically our seats have not been the best, and we are planning on offering an upgraded seat later this year that will be both sportier and more comfortable and will be offered as a retrofit as well, so if you want to upgrade your prior car, you can do that. In the meantime, we actually have made a number of subtle improvements to the seat comfort in terms of improving the foam, the type of foam that’s on the seat, and we kind of over sprung the seat so that it’s still too tight in terms of the springs under the seat, so it closes the seat’s crown slightly, and so we fixed that, and then the lumbar support is slightly too forward, so we have also fixed that.

So, all of those changes are going into the seats; most of them are already done, the lumbar support I think is about a month away, and that makes quite a substantial difference to the comfort of even the base seat. Seats have been like a (inaudible).

Ok, first off, the difference was noticed between two DIFFERENT cars. I had just handed over my 33k Vin and sat in the loaner which is a 38k Vin. I had no expectation for a better seat, since I wasn't expecting it the exist at all. So no, I would not say it is psychological at all. Also if your Vin is higher than 38 I would say that you have the newer seats. Since you are 30k, I don't know that I would believe what they told you. Find someone with a newer car and have a seat and see if you feel a difference.

Second I got back word about the mod they are going to do to my car. It is the fix that I believe I had heard others mention before, which is that they are changing the springs in the seat to make them more comfortable. The service tech was far more detailed about what and how they we modding the seat, but offhand I can't remember the exact details. So, modding current seats and NOT replacing them.

Finally, they were not sure if there would be another fix coming down the pipe or not. The service tech said that: one, many times we (owners) hear of things before they do since a lot of change come down the pipe without them knowing about it. Two: there were rumors going around that they might be doing a second seat that would be more comfortable. He suggested the terms a "sport seat" and "comfort seat". Again, just rumors he had heard, nothing official yet.

In Elon we trust, I suppose... Hopefully we still see this come. But I will say, those with a Vin in the 38s or higher should have a much nicer seat already!
Sorry, the psychological comment was tongue in cheek. no offense intended. This thread started because Elon said the minor changes were imminent and my car was about to be built. After this thread started, there were other comments elsewhere that further cemented the fact that they started adding the minor seat improvements just before my car was built so every car since then should have the minor improvements. I did have a service rep confirm that my serial number included that fix so hopefully between that and the other threads of information I wasn't mislead. From an experience point of view, I found my seat fairly comfortable during a 360 mile drive recently - and I have a tailbone that normally gets sore even on a four hour flight. Whatever improvements have been made after that, lumbar or otherwise I obviously wont have.

Sorry, the psychological comment was tongue in cheek. no offense intended. This thread started because Elon said the minor changes were imminent and my car was about to be built. After this thread started, there were other comments elsewhere that further cemented the fact that they started adding the minor seat improvements just before my car was built so every car since then should have the minor improvements. I did have a service rep confirm that my serial number included that fix so hopefully between that and the other threads of information I wasn't mislead. From an experience point of view, I found my seat fairly comfortable during a 360 mile drive recently - and I have a tailbone that normally gets sore even on a four hour flight. Whatever improvements have been made after that, lumbar or otherwise I obviously wont have.

Oh, no worries, no offense taken! Still friends :)

I just wanted to clarify how I knew there was a difference between the two seats. And to me, it was more the cushion itself that I have noticed to feel better. I haven't really played around with or touched the lumbar. This is why I was surprised. So if you got the better seats and I didn't then I guess I would just chalk it up to the same thing that happened with the dreaded A vs B batteries and how there is Vin overlap there. But one thing is for certain, I never once really cared about the feeling of the seats until sitting in the loaner and actually feeling the difference. To me, my MS feels just fine, even if they are a little on the harder side... and I went 15 hours (2x) and over 700 miles each way and had no major issues with the seats becoming really uncomfortable.

Hopefully we will all get the retrofit that Elon talked about soon!

Oh, no worries, no offense taken! Still friends :)

I just wanted to clarify how I knew there was a difference between the two seats. And to me, it was more the cushion itself that I have noticed to feel better. I haven't really played around with or touched the lumbar. This is why I was surprised. So if you got the better seats and I didn't then I guess I would just chalk it up to the same thing that happened with the dreaded A vs B batteries and how there is Vin overlap there. But one thing is for certain, I never once really cared about the feeling of the seats until sitting in the loaner and actually feeling the difference. To me, my MS feels just fine, even if they are a little on the harder side... and I went 15 hours (2x) and over 700 miles each way and had no major issues with the seats becoming really uncomfortable.

Hopefully we will all get the retrofit that Elon talked about soon!
Well you've definitely piqued my interest and got me wondering what seats I did get. I don't know if you have performance seats but I guess its possible that they started putting the mod in the perf seats first.

Ddruz:
Did you have the chance to compare a "new" production seat like chickensevil did? How does a modified seat compare to the original? If you had the opportunity to try a new seat, how does the modified seat compare to the new seat?

I did not sit in a brand new production seat so cannot compare to that. My comparison is to my seat before the modification. It is much preferable to me but again it is a subtle difference. If my body weighed more perhaps I would have previously sunk a bit lower into the seat and not sought out the modification. After the modification though I definitely feel like I'm sitting in the seat instead of on it and I like that a whole lot better.

So I got my car back finally and apparently they did nothing to the seat because it was already modified at the factory. As in, I too already have that version of the seat. So I don't know why or what they have done in newer cars, but I am stuck with what I have until (and if) they release a seat mod that they will give out as a retrofit. Oh well.

Hi all! I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on the MS. I've been scouring this board (and others) for information on seats, since I will spend a significant amount of time in it due to my commute. I've see the video and all the info from early 2014 about "improved seats" and also noticed about mid-year people were getting these "improved seats." My wife swears there's another seat upgrade coming, but I think she's misinterpreting all the information and I think the "seat upgrade" has already happened. Does anybody have any information about another "seat upgrade" or improvement that will be happening later this year or early next year? Thanks!

Hi all! I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on the MS. I've been scouring this board (and others) for information on seats, since I will spend a significant amount of time in it due to my commute. I've see the video and all the info from early 2014 about "improved seats" and also noticed about mid-year people were getting these "improved seats." My wife swears there's another seat upgrade coming, but I think she's misinterpreting all the information and I think the "seat upgrade" has already happened. Does anybody have any information about another "seat upgrade" or improvement that will be happening later this year or early next year? Thanks!

Check post #24 in this thread. Musk indicated that a new sportier seat would be introduced later this year and that a retrofit would be possible, and in the meantime, Tesla had and would continue to make adjustments to the current seat style.

Go take a seat in a showroom car and see how you like it, I believe those are the final seats as far as we are aware, but there were rumors of another seat coming in the future. The newest seats are pretty nice though. I got to experience them first hand in a loaner car. My hind quarters were quite pleased with the seats and given I am a very skinny and boney person, I prefer soft things as I don't have natural padding. So go and sit in a showroom car for a bit, play with the console and such while you judge how well you like the seats. I say this because there is no guarantee that they will be doing anything else to the seats any time soon.

I strongly suggest you sit in a seat for at least 30 minutes to determine how it is. I ordered the car before it was released. I was concerned about the seat because I broke my tailbone. The seat in my car (VIN 8XXX) is painful to sit in after 5 minutes. Tesla did modify the seat and did the retrofit to my car, but it is still painful.

A few weeks ago, I had a loaner (VIN 36XXX) and the revised seat design in that car was much better. Unfortunately, Tesla did not change the part number when they revised the seat construction. The SC said they could thus not guarantee that if I ordered the new seat (at a cost of $2800) whether I would get the original style seat or the revised construction seat.

The SC also told me that a totally new seat will be released next year that is supposed to address the comfort issue that a number of owners have. Once this seat is available, it will be available as a retrofit (which I'm guessing will be at least $2800).

I would imagine that while some tweaks have been done to the seats to make them more comfortable, what Elon was probably referring to would be optional upgraded seats like in many other lines of cars. You can select standard or premium seats, at additional cost, just as you can currently select no charge fabric seats, or for more money get leather, or even more money get special stitching.

I took two test drives before I purchased. One back in January 2014 and one in August 2014. I remember thinking that the seat was slightly uncomfortable during the January drive. I remember thinking quite the opposite in the August drive. Now that my vehicle has arrived I find the seats very comfortable. So in my opinion unless you don't like the way the seats look I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the best advice is to go sit in one to be sure. I'd imagine that most of the demonstrator vehicles will have the newer seats since they don't keep them for long before they sell them. I think the idea of sitting in the showroom vehicle for 30 minutes to be difficult, but if you take a test drive that's probably about how long you'll be in the vehicle.

Thanks, interesting perspective. The main reason why I ask is because my friend just bought a P85+ and I took a ride in it for about 10 minutes and I felt like the seats were pretty firm . . . but since he just got his he actually ordered it a few months ago, so I was trying to identify the timing of the announcement relative to when it was implemented. I agree, my best bet is just go sit in one in a showroom, assuming they have the latest models.