TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New seats or new car, my spouse HATES the M3 seats!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by AAG1, Jan 24, 2020.

1. AAG1

AAG1 Member

So, I have an issue with my P3D that I did not anticipate. My spouse HATES the seats and says that they give him terrible back pain. I know that this is an issue that I have seen on the forum before, and I had discounted the issue thinking that the seats were fine during our test drive. But we have now tried every combination of back support inserts to neck pillows to stiff boards for people with back issues. His complaint is that there is no mid or upper back support (I think because the head rest is too far forward and the upper back area is further back than the lower back area). We have also tried every single adjustment and lumbar setting that the seat allows. Nothing seems to work.

Fast forward, we have had the car for less than a month and only ~1,000 miles and now he is looking at either swapping the seats for aftermarket seats (estimates are between $1,200-$2,000 for the seats plus labor) or just selling the car and getting something else. Obviously I would hate to sell the car but I have asked Tesla what they would give me for trade-in value (the said since it is beyond the first 7 days I cannot return the car). I am nervous about what value they are going to give me for trade-in, so I am thinking about potentially selling it on my own in the worst case scenario.

Does anyone have any ideas about after market seats that they like? Has anyone sold a new P3D within the first month of ownership? I am at a loss and willing to try anything. I love this car, but it is not going to work unless both of us are happy driving it.

2. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

Can't answer the question on the seats, but definitely sell the car privately. Not sure you can even sell car back to Tesla. Trade-in yes, but not outright sell. Probably would lose $10k on a trade-in.

• Like x 2
  3. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Someone's got to say it - how about a new spouse??

On a real note, have you tried to remove the head rest, and bend the 2 bars that are attached to it? I think there's a post (or two) in the forum showing how to do it.

• Funny x 13
    • Like x 4
    • Love x 2
  4. Spacep0d

Spacep0d Member

There has to be something that can be done with aftermarket supports.

Is your spouse comfortable in any vehicle for very long? My girlfriend has a 2007 Honda Civic EX and omg I hate her seats (specifically her tilted forward headrests that feel like bricks) with a passion, and I have no back issues. Too much lumbar 'support' drives me up a wall and people are different sizes (I'm 5'3") so 'lumbar support' doesn't work for me as it might for others. I'm glad lumbar support has trended back to normalcy after years of being far too aggressive.

I would try something like a pillow or aftermarket support before selling the car. First, see if comfort can be achieved at all, then worry about making it look nice.

5. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

As a pretty vocal hater of the Model 3 seats myself, I'll note this is yet another thread and unhappy customer that wouldn't exist if they offered more adjustments and more range in each of those adjustments, even if it were only at an additional cost.

• Like x 2
  6. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

[​IMG]

• Funny x 3
  7. Cyber_Dav

Cyber_Dav Member

The question remains, are the seats replaceable with aftermarket seats?

And can anyone provide an example?

Thanks

8. run-the-joules

They're definitely able to be replaced. But replacing with other power seats with airbags and everything? That's harder.

I'd love to see someone build a mounting and electronics adapter to use Porsche seats.

9. hill

hill Active Member

10. YisSerL

YisSerL Member

Is new spouse not one of the options? :rolleyes:

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. mnevar

mnevar Member

Daerik on Youtube did a video on replacing his seats with racing seats. He figured out the electronics as well. Worth watching if you want to do the swap.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

I believe someone removed the head rest and reversed it.

13. run-the-joules

The spouse-free life is better. Learn from the first mistake ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  14. Bill Foster

Bill Foster I'm going home!

NA Miatas had terrible lower/mid back support.

The trick was to take a shop towel rolled up between the leather and frame. Made all the difference in the world.

Just a thought.....

• Like x 1
  15. tvad

tvad Member

Seat comfort & support are too important to mess with aftermarket.

Sell the Model 3 and buy something else.

Ask Tesla for the trade-in value of your car using the VIN so you at least have a baseline number to compare. You might be pleasantly surprised by how much they offer.

Have you tried a Model S? The seats are considerable better than the Model 3's seats.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  16. webbah

webbah Member

• Like x 1
  17. beto83

beto83 Member

All I can say is don't get a Porsche if you find the 3 uncomfortable.

• Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. run-the-joules

Depends a lot on the seats you choose. the 14-way vs the 18-way are very different

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

I’m sure you would happily trade your wife in for a 15% Performance upgrade :p

I do find the seats to be uncomfortable after a long drive. Not much you can aside from getting new seats installed or have the current ones reupholstered.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. run-the-joules

That's extremely subjective.

• Like x 1