Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New seats or new car, my spouse HATES the M3 seats!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have an issue with my P3D that I did not anticipate. My spouse HATES the seats and says that they give him terrible back pain. I know that this is an issue that I have seen on the forum before, and I had discounted the issue thinking that the seats were fine during our test drive. But we have now tried every combination of back support inserts to neck pillows to stiff boards for people with back issues. His complaint is that there is no mid or upper back support (I think because the head rest is too far forward and the upper back area is further back than the lower back area). We have also tried every single adjustment and lumbar setting that the seat allows. Nothing seems to work.

Fast forward, we have had the car for less than a month and only ~1,000 miles and now he is looking at either swapping the seats for aftermarket seats (estimates are between $1,200-$2,000 for the seats plus labor) or just selling the car and getting something else. Obviously I would hate to sell the car but I have asked Tesla what they would give me for trade-in value (the said since it is beyond the first 7 days I cannot return the car). I am nervous about what value they are going to give me for trade-in, so I am thinking about potentially selling it on my own in the worst case scenario.

Does anyone have any ideas about after market seats that they like? Has anyone sold a new P3D within the first month of ownership? I am at a loss and willing to try anything. I love this car, but it is not going to work unless both of us are happy driving it.

Reactions: electrique
So, I have an issue with my P3D that I did not anticipate. My spouse HATES the seats and says that they give him terrible back pain. I know that this is an issue that I have seen on the forum before, and I had discounted the issue thinking that the seats were fine during our test drive. But we have now tried every combination of back support inserts to neck pillows to stiff boards for people with back issues. His complaint is that there is no mid or upper back support (I think because the head rest is too far forward and the upper back area is further back than the lower back area). We have also tried every single adjustment and lumbar setting that the seat allows. Nothing seems to work.

Fast forward, we have had the car for less than a month and only ~1,000 miles and now he is looking at either swapping the seats for aftermarket seats (estimates are between $1,200-$2,000 for the seats plus labor) or just selling the car and getting something else. Obviously I would hate to sell the car but I have asked Tesla what they would give me for trade-in value (the said since it is beyond the first 7 days I cannot return the car). I am nervous about what value they are going to give me for trade-in, so I am thinking about potentially selling it on my own in the worst case scenario.

Does anyone have any ideas about after market seats that they like? Has anyone sold a new P3D within the first month of ownership? I am at a loss and willing to try anything. I love this car, but it is not going to work unless both of us are happy driving it.

Someone's got to say it - how about a new spouse??

On a real note, have you tried to remove the head rest, and bend the 2 bars that are attached to it? I think there's a post (or two) in the forum showing how to do it.

There has to be something that can be done with aftermarket supports.

Is your spouse comfortable in any vehicle for very long? My girlfriend has a 2007 Honda Civic EX and omg I hate her seats (specifically her tilted forward headrests that feel like bricks) with a passion, and I have no back issues. Too much lumbar 'support' drives me up a wall and people are different sizes (I'm 5'3") so 'lumbar support' doesn't work for me as it might for others. I'm glad lumbar support has trended back to normalcy after years of being far too aggressive.

I would try something like a pillow or aftermarket support before selling the car. First, see if comfort can be achieved at all, then worry about making it look nice.

giphy.gif

Seat comfort & support are too important to mess with aftermarket.

Sell the Model 3 and buy something else.

Ask Tesla for the trade-in value of your car using the VIN so you at least have a baseline number to compare. You might be pleasantly surprised by how much they offer.

Have you tried a Model S? The seats are considerable better than the Model 3's seats.

On a real note, have you tried to remove the head rest, and bend the 2 bars that are attached to it? I think there's a post (or two) in the forum showing how to do it.
I’m sure you would happily trade your wife in for a 15% Performance upgrade :p

I do find the seats to be uncomfortable after a long drive. Not much you can aside from getting new seats installed or have the current ones reupholstered.