Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Second Row Seats Adjustment from Touchscreen and other features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I shot a video of the Model X software update process as seen from inside the cabin today, 3 very useful new features were added to my X:
  1. Close all doors after exiting the X with a double-press on the top of the keyfob.
  2. Summon via double press on "park" using the stalk now allows selection of summon forward or backward.
  3. Touchscreen control of the position of each seat in the second row.
I have a 7-seater, so I shot a 2 min. video of new feature #3, and added it to my Model X P90D channel:

It's a great feature. In my case, I can now move the second row out of the way via touchscreen to allow a guest to sit in the 3rd row, without having to explain where the manual switch is.

When I tried adjusting the second row it still made my first row seats move. It seemed like it was just a touch panel version of the top of the seat loading arrows, not just individual seat controls.

What am I missing?

We can now adjust the middle seat by itself without any other seat moving anywhere. That's to lengthen the space for storing an item in the back with the 3rd row down. I noticed the code can't tell if row 3 seats are up or down, since I had one up and one down and it showed both of them up.

I was hoping this update would address the issue of not being able to access the third row if car seats are installed with seat belts in the second row. Unfortunately it doesn't. The new feature states you can press and hold the button to move the seat in the case of child seats but as soon as I install my car seats the button option to move forward gets greyed out and the physical button on the seat is rendered completely useless.

Is anybody else experiencing this? I started the thread "No third row access when car seats installed in second row!" in hopes I'll find more people with this issue so that maybe as a group we can make them address this problem.

Thanks!

When did you get the update? Never had experience upgrading the Tesla. What should I do?
The touchscreen will show a dialog that the update has arrived. You can install immediately (and not use the vehicle) or schedule the update to occur automatically at a preset time.

The seat movement update is appreciated to assist the passenger that may not locate the buttons on the 2nd row seatback edge.

Reactions: K-MTG
When did you get the update? Never had experience upgrading the Tesla. What should I do?
In my experience, make sure that you are connected to a wifi network as the notification over the cellular network might be delayed. (My car's wifi module is not working right now.)
Once you get the notification (via app or in the car), you can start the install or schedule it using the buttons in the in-car update notification window on the center screen.

In my experience, make sure that you are connected to a wifi network as the notification over the cellular network might be delayed. (My car's wifi module is not working right now.)
Once you get the notification (via app or in the car), you can start the install or schedule it using the buttons in the in-car update notification window on the center screen.

What issues do you have with the wifi? I am also having issues

I was hoping this update would address the issue of not being able to access the third row if car seats are installed with seat belts in the second row. Unfortunately it doesn't. The new feature states you can press and hold the button to move the seat in the case of child seats but as soon as I install my car seats the button option to move forward gets greyed out and the physical button on the seat is rendered completely useless.

Is anybody else experiencing this? I started the thread "No third row access when car seats installed in second row!" in hopes I'll find more people with this issue so that maybe as a group we can make them address this problem.

Thanks!

There are sensors in each seat bottom that are supposed to sense the presence of a human sitting there. I noticed when my wife and son sat in row 2, those two seats grayed-out, but I was still able to adjust the seat they did not occupy.

What is happening is your car seat is heavy enough to trigger the weight sensor so the code thinks there is a human sitting there. I suggest you email this to [email protected] - perhaps they can fine-tune their code to differentiate between a human and a car seat??

• Informative
Reactions: FarmerDave
I got this to work once when I tried it on a whim, but I can't reproduce it. Is it just a click of the UMC or do you have to hold it down? Multiple button press? The Model S was just a single click.
It might be your location. My S was always finicky about the location of the handle when I pressed the button. Near the back window seemed to be best. I notice that pressing it near my X seems to always open the door on my S now.. go figure.

It might be your location. My S was always finicky about the location of the handle when I pressed the button. Near the back window seemed to be best. I notice that pressing it near my X seems to always open the door on my S now.. go figure.

Did you get the update? I got my X connected to wifi now so I am waiting patiently. Will I get a push notification on my iPhone when it is available for install

Did you get the update? I got my X connected to wifi now so I am waiting patiently. Will I get a push notification on my iPhone when it is available for install
The patches go out in batches... sometimes it can take days/weeks before everyone gets it. Of course there aren't as many X's so it should be soon. Yes, you will get a notification on your phone that an update is available, although you have to go into the car to start the install (or schedule it)

Yes on both counts. You'll get a push notification, but you can't install it from the app - you'll have to go out to the garage and start the process.

Wifi shouldn't matter when it comes to firmware updates.