TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New security layer: disabling passive entry

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by e-FTW, Aug 26, 2017.

1. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Tesla is said to be rolling out a new setting in OTA software updates. It adds a setting whereby you can disable auto-presenting door handles (and unlocking of the car) that happens by the mere presence of the fob.
    If you toggle the new setting, you will be required to click the top button on the fob to get the handles to present.

This is meant to mitigate the vulnerability that some thieves in Europe seemed to have found where they use to capture and send your fob's unique signal.

Source: Tesla adds 'Passive Entry' to combat vehicle theft by keyless-entry exploit

[Edit] They actually got this from:

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

are you sure that this is this something new? I think the auto present can be changed from the settings

• Informative x 1
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

This is requirIng the fob be clicked to unlock. Before it was autounlock but not autopresent. See the video. The setting is not on one car.

And this was posted on Reddit several days ago from Europe, I believe I first posted about it here on TMC and then Erik and David did the video. As David discusses. But the provenance doesn't really matter. :D

4. zambono

zambono Member

What would prevent those with the frequency repeaters from capturing the click command as well and then repeating it another day?

• Like x 1
  5. boaterva

Good point. Don't know if there's anything unique about that or not for a particular fob/car.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I watched the section of that video that described the new Passive Entry feature. So with that setting enabled you have to click the fob to open the doors. However, aren't there many other cars besides Teslas that allow owners to configure them to automatically unlock on approach, meaning their fob sends a signal to the car to unlock with the owner having to do anything. In other words, this issue of a thief capturing the fob code remotely would be possible in other car models, not just Teslas.

True, but I think it would be more difficult to steal a car that way because you would have to find it again. Not impossible, but more difficult. But if the car was regularly in that parking area, then it would indeed be relatively easy.

My speculation: so the current situation is that the thief hangs out in a parking area where Teslas are frequently present. So car arrives, the thief strolls by as the owner walks away from the car and captures the code. Then as soon as the owner leaves the thief enters the car. Or the thief captures the codes when the owner arrives and walks up to the car.

Perhaps the lesson here is to watch out for anyone who appears to be hanging out within 15 ft of your car as you exit or enter it.

• Like x 1
  7. zambono

zambono Member

I think these situations happen precisely where one parks regularly. European cities have a lack of private parking specially in the older city centers. Owner parks in the same street regularly and eventually key code is captured

8. Skysurfer

Skysurfer Member

They likely use a rolling code, so you can't simple replay a captured command a second time.

9. boaterva

Right, like the standard for garage door openers for quite some time.