Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New security layer: disabling passive entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It actually is in the onboard manual. It says five minutes. At least under 17.42.1 for the Passive Entry slider. Perhaps they just updated it?
I just checked the onboard manual (I recently updated to 17.42 a88c8d5). FYI the entry for The Passive Entry setting says:

If Passive Entry is off and you do not press the brake pedal to start the Model S within approximately five minutes, a message displays on the instrument panel and you must use the key to lock then unlock Model S again before starting the vehicle.

However my observations so far don't show any consistent "approximately 5 minute" time.

for example, today I observed the following a couple different times, with Passive Entry = Off.

Parked the car, passenger got out of the car while I waited in the drivers seat for her to return. While waiting, I did not touch the brake pedal. At least 10 minutes went by, but the Unlock Required message did NOT come up. I could then put the car in Drive without needing to press the fob (i.e. normal behaviour before they added the Passive Entry setting)

before the 17.42 update, I would sometimes see the Unlock Required message come up after waiting in the parked car a few minutes, other times not at all after 5-10minutes of waiting in the car, like today. Unclear if 17.42 changed anything related to this.

In another instance today I put the car in Park, and got out of the car. Pressed the fob to lock the car. Double pressed the fob to unlock the car and got back into the drivers seat to wait. My passenger returned to the car less than 2 minutes later. I tapped on the Park button to present the passenger door handle. Now the Unlock Required message appeared immediately, and before driving I had to use the fob to unlock the car. Strange. I still can't figure out the timing logic for the Unlock Required message...

In another instance today I put the car in Park, and got out of the car. Pressed the fob to lock the car. Double pressed the fob to unlock the car and got back into the drivers seat to wait. My passenger returned to the car less than 2 minutes later. I tapped on the Park button to present the passenger door handle. Now the Unlock Required message appeared immediately, and before driving I had to use the fob to unlock the car. Strange. I still can't figure out the timing logic for the Unlock Required message...

You are not alone.

I have had numerous Unlock Required messages, inconsistent opening and locking of doors (including one that locked the doors inside the car by surprise when I merely shut the door and immediately tried to open again) as well as inconsistent folding of mirrors (usually requiring a couple of lock-unlock cycles to fold) after this feature was introduced...