Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New sensor in Falcon Wing doors. No more bruised heads.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my MX this week and while going over the car I was told about a new sensor that is now built in to the interior of the Falcon Wing doors. The sensor checks if anyone is present underneath the door prior to closing. I have tested and can confirm that it works.

Before I received my MX two people did get tapped with the door so I love this new feature.

How does it work you ask... When you press the button and are still standing under the door, the door will not close. Once you move it will then shut. Now, what if you do not move? In this case after about 5 seconds you will hear some quick beeping and the door will time out and remain open until you press again.

Sorry, my loaner did not have it and the tech told me it was
This sensor has been in cars since about fall 2017. There is another thread discussing the sensor.

Maybe it was upgraded. The tech said it was brand new. I had the loaner for a month and it was a new MX. It did not have the sensor. I did a search and could not find a post about it, will look again.

After skimming the reddit thread, I think this is only available with the rev B capacitive sensors / cladding. My 8/2017 MX won't close when someone is under it even though the thread indicates only 11/2017 and later vehicles support this, and those sensors were replaced under warranty due to some defect.

• Informative
Reactions: WattsSon
Has anyone tried retrofitting the sensors?
Did you read the last post in the thread prior to posting?

On the off chance that you actually did, since it was only inferred and not clearly spelled out, my X had rev A sensors that would hit my head prior to the warranty replacement, but now won't close while I am standing under the door after the warranty replacement using rev B sensors.

Did you read the last post in the thread prior to posting?

On the off chance that you actually did, since it was only inferred and not clearly spelled out, my X had rev A sensors that would hit my head prior to the warranty replacement, but now won't close while I am standing under the door after the warranty replacement using rev B sensors.

Do you have the top sensors in between the falcon doors on the roof? I was told that the sensors are not compatible, but maybe since you had a later build you already had the required cabling for it. I was told they got rid of the top and pinch sensors and moved to sensors below and inside the door.

Do you have the top sensors in between the falcon doors on the roof? I was told that the sensors are not compatible, but maybe since you had a later build you already had the required cabling for it. I was told they got rid of the top and pinch sensors and moved to sensors below and inside the door.
I don't know, and I don't know how to check. Service center changed out the sensors. I suppose it is possible that mine was supposed to sense from the get-go and no one knew it due to a defective design when the general public consensus was that the feature came later. It's also possible that you're being fed BS, because I don't know what "top sensors" would do other than the still necessary verification that nothing is overhead, and I can't imagine them removing "pinch sensors" (if they even exist vs being based on torque/resistance) since you could still get a hand in the openings from inside the vehicle.

I don't know, and I don't know how to check. Service center changed out the sensors. I suppose it is possible that mine was supposed to sense from the get-go and no one knew it due to a defective design when the general public consensus was that the feature came later. It's also possible that you're being fed BS, because I don't know what "top sensors" would do other than the still necessary verification that nothing is overhead, and I can't imagine them removing "pinch sensors" (if they even exist vs being based on torque/resistance) since you could still get a hand in the openings from inside the vehicle.

Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have the part number from the invoice would you?

Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have the part number from the invoice would you?
These are the replacement parts:
ASY,LHS CLADDING AND CAPACITIVE
SENSOR (1063444-00-B)
ASY,RHS CLADDING AND CAPACITIVE
SENSOR (1063445-00-B)

I believe I also had a visit later on where they "reconfigured" the sensors because the doors wouldn't open at all, but if memory serves me correctly, the new sensors lead to my not hitting myself with the door prior to that visit.

• Informative
Reactions: dailo and KevinY