Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Service Center In San Rafael, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great news if the HPWC is available for Model S owners. Doing a day trip to Sonoma or even Napa is now a piece of cake from Los Altos with a 60kWh and a brief stopover in San Rafael, a town I really like.
Unfortunately the location of the Service Center in San Rafael is not particularly conducive to being entertained while charging. Unless of course, you like to browse a great hardware store...Jackson's across the street. Bit of a walk to any dining.

There still is a Ferrari repair shop as well as a Maserati shop and Tesla is right next door. I was advised the Tesla shop will open in early March. The shop manager is Steven Bainbridge and his email is [email protected]. From several messages back and forth I think Steve is quite knowledgeable and will be a real asset to all of us in Marin County.

Yes, Steve seems like a very good guy as well and perhaps I got the titles wrong. I met him about a week and a half ago. I was just there yesterday. It's definitely open for business. Matt Murphy is the Service Advisor there. He's the one that answers the phones and has taken care of a couple of issues for me already.

There is a new Tesla Service Center underway on Anderson Drive kitty corner from Jackson's Hardware. There is a HPWC on the front of the building that may be open to the public.
I wonder if they will do deliveries out of there also.
Not sure when it opens.

When I was there, it was a Roadster HPC. Model S can't use it unless you have the HPC adapter ($650). It may be they have changed it out, or they have HPWC inside for use while you are getting service. Don't know that. Here's a pic of when we were there a month ago.

TeslaServicesm.jpg

When I was there, it was a Roadster HPC. Model S can't use it unless you have the HPC adapter ($650). It may be they have changed it out, or they have HPWC inside for use while you are getting service. Don't know that. Here's a pic of when we were there a month ago.

View attachment 17686

Why not have charging available for both so that Roadsters and Model S can get a quick charge even for just an hour or even less?

Last edited:
Does anyone know whether the HPWC has been configured to service Model S now?

Edit: According to PlugShare, there still isn't a proper connector for MS at this service center. I'm not sure if this is still current information, but if it is, can someone explain why Tesla would open up a new service center and only have a charge connector to Roadsters??

Last edited:
Does anyone know whether the HPWC has been configured to service Model S now?

Edit: According to PlugShare, there still isn't a proper connector for MS at this service center. I'm not sure if this is still current information, but if it is, can someone explain why Tesla would open up a new service center and only have a charge connector to Roadsters??

3/28/13 Update: Today my wife and kids went on a road trip to Wine Country and we stopped at the San Rafael service center. I had dropped Steven an email before I left home, and he kindly said it would be no problem to stop by to get some charge. Currently, there is still the roadster charger on the outside wall, but they have an adapter that is available during normal business hours during the week. Steven and Matt were most kind and helpful in loaning the adapter and even plugging it into my 60. I added about 40 rated miles in about 40 minutes or so, and then headed up to Napa with plenty of charge. More importantly, Steven said that a devoted MS HPWC would be installed sometime in April. Presumably this could be accessible even outside of normal business hours. This is great news for folks with twin chargers who are traveling to/from the North Bay or Wine Country and the Peninsula.

Both Steven and Matt were great and most inviting and helpful during my brief visit. They walked me into the service center where a handful of MS were awaiting new owners or undergoing service.

I was just at the San Rafael Service and there is a HPWC for the Model S as well as the HPC for the Roadster. Now if there was just something to do.
(Seriously, it's not a bad location if you're returning from wine country and your charge is on the low side.)

This is the best news --- we are kinda low and freaking out here in Marin Country trying to find decent charging. The free ChargePoint in the 3rd & C parking structure in downtown Rafael provided 19 miles per hour charge, if and when it felt like it. We were plugged in for nearly 2 hours and gained ~25 mi. Gonna try the HPWC at this San Rafael Service Center tomorrow and hope I get better miles per hour.

Geez, only when you drive away from nearby SuperChargers do you reaize how still far out on the bleeding edge owning a Model S is. :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Can someone confirm that there is a Roadster HPC available after hours? I'm visiting some friend in Santa Rosa on Sunday and I should be able to make the round trip but would love to know if this SC is an option.

Thanks!