Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center - Sunnyvale, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Service Center just opened today for test drives (not sure if test drives are for reservation holders). I happened to drive by and noticed people checking out cars. Staff was there to give test drives. I got free coffee and muffins. They open for service officially on Monday (according to the staff)

When I was at the Fremont SC last week I learned that Brian, who was a great service advisor in Fremont, was promoted to Service Manager at the new Sunnyvale SC. I'm sure he will do an outstanding job!

- - - Updated - - -

What's the address? It's not listed on the Tesla site yet.

750 E El Camino Real Sunnyvale. A long time ago it was Allison BMW before they moved to Mountain View. Bought a few cars there...

I have an appointment there on Wednesday, and have a long list of service bulletins to get fixed on my Sig. When I found out they have no loaner cars, I told them it will have to be done on two separate days and that I needed my car back each day.
Kind of a bummer that no loaners yet. Thought they had solved that one.

Just an update on the Walnut Creek Store and Service Centers...

Store...I was by the Broadway Plaza location at end-of-day today 4/3/14, and the temporary construction door was open. I chatted with the foreman and 2 workers. The foreman works for TMs 'prime contractor' building out stores. He noted that he has not been home since New Years and does not expect to be home again until July 4th. He goes around the country from location to location doing the build-out/renovation of the Stores. He has done 1 in NJ, plus the Sunnyvale and Corte Madera stores. He says that they have a lot of Stores in the pipeline.

They have done the interior demolition back to the studs and subfloor. They have to do the finishes (including float the floor and lay tile) and do the electrical, lighting, etc. Looks like the finished space will be about 20x40 feet, not bad given the constrained real estate in Broadway Plaza. They will keep the glass front entrance and the wide door opening to be able to bring inside 1 model S and 1 'skateboard'. They expect to have the work done by the first week in May.

The 6 HPWCs are going into the adjacent garage, on the first floor (technically in part of the employee parking area along the exterior wall backing up onto South Main St.). This parking area is accessed from the south side off of Broadway Plaza Road, through a swinging arm gate. I spoke with the security guard there (the security booth is actually close to the gated entrance) and he is not sure how they will control access for 'casual TM owners' who want to charge. Presumably the TM employees will have an RFID gate card to enter and exit the area. Maybe if you need to charge you will need to park upstairs, go to the TM Store, check in and get access. The transformer has been placed just outside the garage and the distribution panel/circuit breaker panel has been mounted onto the inside of the exterior wall (multiple 100A circuits inside the panel). The contractor (working in the Sales office) told me that they expect to get the mounting boxes and disconnects for the HPWCs in a week or so and hope to have the HPWCs wired up and working in a couple of weeks (...does not mean we can get access and charge).

Service...the suspected location on N. Main St (old Cooks Collision) shows little obvious change. Still has an Available real estate sign out front, however there are fewer MB cars parked there. The Sales office contractor did not know much about the service center (I get the feeling that these are done by different contractors).

If anyone has any better/updated news on the Service Center (maybe someone knows someone in the WC Building Dept who can check permits), please post here.

Walnut Creek update

I was at Broadway Plaza Monday (4 days ago) and went by the new Sales office location. I chatted up the general contractor who was up to his ears in subs (crawling over each other to finish up). The floor has been laid, walls done, electrician hanging light fixtures, casework just delivered. He is scheduled to turn over the store to TM on Mon.4/21. TM still needs to install 'trade dress', displays, computers, telephony, networking, furniture, plus 1 chassis and 1 Model S. The expected 'go live' date is on or about May 1st.

The 6 HPWCs are being installed in the garage on the first floor (was part of the employee parking area). The floor has been epoxy painted and red striping applied to the floor and walls. The electricians were to hang new lighting this week and install the HPWCs. He expects that this will be ready next Monday as well (but likely not available to us before the store actually opens).

As far as the Service Center, no new activity at the N. Main Street location.

BTW, I was out at the Corte Madera Sales center (Village @ Corte Madera). Their permanent larger location in the mall is expected to 'go live' on May 1st as well, with room for a chassis and 2 Model S. The 6 HPWCs are around back and run at 208V 72A (due to the mall's infrastructure). If the spaces are full, park somewhere and go into the store and ask for Brian or another sales team member and they can move a test drive car to free up a space.

Friday I ran into range trouble. Thursday & Friday I had a good experience at my first visit to Sunnyvale Service Center, until I was on my way home Friday and ran out of range in the mountains. I had a long day so bypassed my storage where I had temporarily kept my Chademo Adapter, so when I got to the summit EVGO, I looked in my trunk and realized my mistake. Reminder: always keep your Chademo Adapter with you, even if it means fumbling the thing in and out of loaners and such. What a pain. When will Tesla release their D.C. charging standard to third parties?

With estimated -2% arriving at home, I stopped with 2% at a newly built cult compound in a forested area that was on the ChargePoint map near Scotts Valley, and after getting a little freaked out by the odd activity there after +2%, I made my way down to a destination charger at the bottom of the hill at a hotel parking lot where I accidentally snoozed off in the driver's seat and came to with +10%, more than enough to get home.

Anyway, the other lesson is to confirm with Service Centers to plug in the car for overnight stays. The extra distance I had to drive to take the car to service was enough to put it beyond my normal daily commute range, and it's the first time a service center left the state of charge of my car so low.

Just because I make mistakes doesn't mean I should allow other people to make mistakes: I need to always confirm they have taken appropriate steps. I also should pay more attention to my charge level when I'm not in a very regular driving pattern. And I should remember to bring my Chademo into loaners and temp vehicles.

You could have topped off at Mountain View SC before heading south, no?
It's hard to say. According to Google Maps, it would have taken 15 minutes on a Sunday to get there. When I picked up my car, it was 3:41PM Friday, so rush hour was building, and going to MtV SC would have added about 20 minutes to the SC, 25 minutes to charge (assuming a line), then leaving at 4:56PM to get back to Los Gatos from MtV would have been around 45 minutes, and then at 5:41PM would have been about an hour from there home so around 6:41PM, but since I didn't even think to look at my state of charge, I was more interested in beating traffic, and would have made it home around 4:41PM if I had gone straight away and not had to charge (so a two hour benefit). Since I'm working 10 hour days 6 days a week right now, that is a lot of extra sleep I could catch up on and important to me.

Had I looked at my state of charge and remembered my Chademo was in my storage, I would have probably decided to go to my storage, get my Chademo, then use it as needed, most likely at the Campbell ChargePoint former headquarters (where is their new headquarters?), and that would have added about 30 minutes to my total commute, so I would have arrived home at 5:11PM. But, since I didn't even take the responsibility to double check my range (because I assumed Sunnyvale is close enough to my normal commute not to matter, and according to TeslaFi, I arrived at the SC with 51%), it all got messed up.

I arrived Thursday 3:04PM at Sunnyvale SC with 51% SOC. When I picked the car up at 3:41PM, it had 40% SOC. I thought that was enough to get home. I wonder what happened that it lost 11% at the SC; they drove it three times and it only took 1% to do that. Did they park it in the sun and not charge it? Thursday was a hot day and I left cabin overheat protection on, so perhaps that used up some battery. That's not a good thing for Tesla paint to leave it in the sun light like that on hot days especially, in case birds or bugs get on it.

Went by the Sunnyvale Service Center today. I got faked out at first heading eastbound on El Camino Real as Tesla is taking over the ex-Sunnyvale Nissan property. Big Tesla sign, but it is all chain link fenced off. At first I thought the Sunnyvale SC had closed, but after driving another block or so, the SC that has always been there is still there. The service guy said they are going to keep both sites - splitting the sales/delivery to one site and service to the other.

Awesome support, as always, from the service folks there.

Went by the Sunnyvale Service Center today. I got faked out at first heading eastbound on El Camino Real as Tesla is taking over the ex-Sunnyvale Nissan property. Big Tesla sign, but it is all chain link fenced off. At first I thought the Sunnyvale SC had closed, but after driving another block or so, the SC that has always been there is still there. The service guy said they are going to keep both sites - splitting the sales/delivery to one site and service to the other.

Awesome support, as always, from the service folks there.
Yes, both locations will be open. My husband was in the area a few weeks ago and notice the big Tesla signage on the old Nissan location and stopped in at the old location to talk to his MS sales advisor about it. That old Sunnyvale location was a parking nightmare at times so should make life for everyone a lot easier. We have been scheduling our cars at Santa Clara as a result of the crowding at Snvl. With the Gilroy location opening up at some point for service too that will be doable for us as well and should help take some of the south bay/county Tesla service and delivery traffic from Snvl. Mobile’s been great during the pandemic and a great option but doesn’t meet every need.