Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Service Centers Coming To The Northeast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm out on fully electric vehicles until someone comes to my part of the state with reliable service

Ford Mach-E sounds like it fits that bill. Any Ford dealer can certainly service it.

I know Tesla is addressing the 12v battery issue by switching to lithium ion going forward

This makes the problem worse, not better, because you can't just go to a battery place, tell them, "I need a Group whatever battery" and put it in your car. Tesla is actively making it harder to service your car here, and having just waited for two WEEKS for wipers to arrive one at a time, there's zero chance they stock these things anywhere near owners on the east coast, let alone the northeast.

Last edited:
I moved from MA to ME in May. My 12v died Saturday for the 2nd time in 10k miles/8 months. In a parking lot. On a 90 degree day. With a toddler. It took 4 hours for roadside to show up, and another hour for them to get it on the truck, because my x would not go into transport mode.

With that being said, I have a test drive for a Volvo hybrid later in the week when I get my Tesla back.

I don't think it's unreasonable that one of the few parts we share with other cars should be just as serviceable as they are in other cars.

If this had happened to my wife's pickup on Saturday, we would have removed the battery with a wrench, and walked it across the street to AutoZone to swap it out.

Instead, my car got a 150 mi drive to a service center on the back of a flatbed. Giving every smug diesel pickup driver in Western Maine the opportunity to point and chuckle.

Gotta say, Elon got a lot of free negative advertising in the Norway Maine Dunkin' donuts parking lot.

I'm out on fully electric vehicles until someone comes to my part of the state with reliable service should the vehicle need replacement of a part that any first week AutoZone employee could do.

This is frustrating to hear because you could have treated it like any other 12v battery. Jump it, use a USB battery etc to get enough charge to activate the high voltafge system, and at least get back home and have a mobile tech delivery a new battery. Even another 12v battery will work for a while. But it's frustrating that their solution is a interstate tow. I've never had any 12v issues, but I carry a 12v jumper battery just in case. I wish Tesla managed this better (along with many other things).

If you are using TeslaFi, I don't believe you will get 12V battery failure warnings (I did not). IMHO, the constant contactor cycling every 2 min caused by TeslaFi polling messes up the car's ability to monitor the 12V health, since it never sees full 12V charge/discharge cycles, and therefore can't calculate 12V capacity.

Want 12V battery failure warnings? Don't use TeslaFi. At least not until they fix this bug (that they seem to be in no hurry to fix).

There's no way TeslaFi will cycle your contactor every 2 minutes. Your car takes at least 10 before it goes to sleep. Perhaps your teslafi is misconfigured and waking it back up after that? I toyed with those sleep settings a lot at the beginning, but have not had any issue for years. They key of course is to make sure you are not using TWO API services...they will have two different sleeping schemes and then might cause issues like this. Do you have another app like Stats?

You can access your sleep mode settings within Teslafi under the first tab. I have both set to 15min.

Reactions: jlv1
There's no way TeslaFi will cycle your contactor every 2 minutes. Your car takes at least 10 before it goes to sleep. Perhaps your teslafi is misconfigured and waking it back up after that? I toyed with those sleep settings a lot at the beginning, but have not had any issue for years. They key of course is to make sure you are not using TWO API services...they will have two different sleeping schemes and then might cause issues like this. Do you have another app like Stats?

You can access your sleep mode settings within Teslafi under the first tab. I have both set to 15min.
It's absolutely a TeslaFi problem. I can't explain why it only effects some users. Frankly, I don't care enough about the data to debug someone else's product. Someone else on TMC posted having the same problem and was able to get ahold of someone at TeslaFi who basically blew it off with "we can't reproduce it, so we can't fix it", but I can't find the post now.

See my posts here: 12V battery dying but no warning?

I had two unrelated issues going on in the car at the time - ignore the posts in the thread about my broken ground stud; fixing the ground did not impact the contactor cycling. After an update last winter, the car started waking up and activating the DC-DC converter every 2 minutes. I made no changes to any TeslaFi settings since at least last summer (when the car slept fine). Disabling remote access in the car or deleting the remote access token in TeslaFi stopped the problem. I have no other aps or services polling the car.

See also - Why are my HV battery contactors cycling every 2 minutes? / General / TeslaFi

This makes the problem worse, not better, because you can't just go to a battery place, tell them, "I need a Group whatever battery" and put it in your car. Tesla is actively making it harder to service your car here, and having just waited for two WEEKS for wipers to arrive one at a time, there's zero chance they stock these things anywhere near owners on the east coast, let alone the northeast.
I respectfully disagree with your statement that it makes the problem worse. The presumption is the new battery is a car-lifetime battery and would rarely need a replacement. How is that worse than a battery that definitely needs replacement? I won't argue that keeping buried in the car and not easily changeable is a poor design choice, but I think I acknowledge that point already.

Tesla definitely needs to improve availability and easy of replacement for any consumable or short-lived items in the cars for sure.

>Ford Mach-E sounds like it fits that bill. Any Ford dealer can certainly service it.

Was this meant to sound ironic?

Not even close size-wise. Mach-E is a non-starter.

My issue wasn't the 12v, but even more insulting. A corrupted SD card....but wait.....it's mounted behind the MCU and can't be accessed or troubleshot by Rangers anyway.

But when it dies, the car behaves similarly to a dead 12V, because the DC-DC converter also stops functioning...which....drains the 12v.

Anyway, that's 11+ hours of waiting/driving/waiting, etc that I'll never get back.

I think I'm gonna "half-@ss it" in a Volvo XC90 Recharge until Rivian consolidates their excrement......

I visited the Albany NY service center on Tuesday, to ask if they heard anything about a service center opening in Vermont, he said the New England district management is working on putting one there. But no other details. He did say all Service centers are underwater, overworked, and need more centers in all major cities. Boston is absolutely overwhelmed. Tesla is pumping out 100% more cars year over year, but service centers are not even close to that pace of growth.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal ModelNforNerd, I don't blame you for jumping ship after an experience like that.

Reactions: bruce4000
I visited the Albany NY service center on Tuesday, to ask if they heard anything about a service center opening in Vermont, he said the New England district management is working on putting one there. But no other details. He did say all Service centers are underwater, overworked, and need more centers in all major cities. Boston is absolutely overwhelmed. Tesla is pumping out 100% more cars year over year, but service centers are not even close to that pace of growth.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal ModelNforNerd, I don't blame you for jumping ship after an experience like that.
It sucks. But I've never seen my wife that angry at something I didn't actually do.....

• Funny
Reactions: MikeHawk
I do believe Vermont has a dedicated ranger though, so please consider the fact that many repairs can be done in your own driveway :)
Sorta. Anything up to Rutland gets the guy out of Hartford, CT who comes one day a week and covers a lot of ground, so mobile availability for the southern half of the state is very limited. The northern half has their own mobile service base and the situation is much better there. At least this was the case 6 months ago.

Reactions: MikeHawk
I use TeslaFi and I got a "Replace 12V battery soon warning" in my Model S, so that wasn't true for me.

(That was at 3.5 years and the battery was replaced under warranty.)
Recently? This is a new problem, sometime around the first of the year. Not all S's seem to be impacted. But if TeslaFi is causing your contactors to cycle excessively, I don't expect you will see 12V failure warnings, for the reasons I mentioned.

Recently? This is a new problem, sometime around the first of the year. Not all S's seem to be impacted. But if TeslaFi is causing your contactors to cycle excessively, I don't expect you will see 12V failure warnings, for the reasons I mentioned.
About a year ago. I see this on TeslaFi's support forum:

Probably the discussion should move to Contactors opening/closing repeatedly

(FWIW I've not noticed this, but I'm going to listen for it to see if it is happening)

About a year ago. I see this on TeslaFi's support forum:

Ha! That's my thread! :D

Reactions: jlv1
So the efforts from thugs at Hoffman Auto Group, while facing a weak kneed East Hartford, CT Planning & Zoning Commission, have successfully squashed the proposed Tesla Service Center at 300 Connecticut Blvd. The town denial comes close to a year after Tesla had received unanimous approval. They evidently bought into Hoffman's twisted logic that Tesla had designs on the site beyond more than just providing vehicle service. Overlooking the fact that Tesla never mentioned vehicle sales in their proposal.

Proceeding with a Tesla countersuit would appear noble, but cost them more time and money. Seems likely Tesla will just move on to a more receptive CT town. Not much to add, except perhaps let family and friends know...Boycott Hoffman!