Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Service Centers Coming To The Northeast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have an update? So many potential teslas in Vermont but not having a service center anywhere in practical range is a huge deterrent.
I live in Essex, VT. I'm about to order an M3, my first, but I'm concerned about service since it's over 200 miles to the nearest service location. What has your experience been with service? The M3 will be my only vehicle, so I have no backup.

Reactions: MikeHawk
I live just below the VT border in Western MA. I'm 107 miles from the nearest Tesla service center. I bought my M3 in September of 2020. So far I've only needed service once, when the camera on the front left quarter panel stopped working. I used the Tesla App to notify Tesla of the problem. Within minutes Tesla responded, giving me the option of an appointment in 2 days at the Dedham Service Center or an appointment for one of their techs to come to my house in about 3 weeks to fix it. Because the camera wasn't essential except for TACC, I opted to have the tech come to me. On the appointed day, he texted me to say he would be arriving 2 hours later than originally promised. For me that wasn't a problem. When he arrived he apologized for being late and gave me a perfectly reasonable explanation. Then he went to work on the car. It only took him about 20 minutes to diagnose and fix it - a faulty cable was the problem, not the camera. He was a great guy and gave me a detailed explanation of the problem and how he fixed it. He was based in Hartford, CT - about 72 miles from me. The nearest Tesla Service center in CT is in Milford CT, an hour further away than Hartford, so it would appear that at least some service techs are not based where the service centers are. So, you might want to try to find out how close you live to the nearest service tech. (Some people also refer to them as mobile rangers.) I've read a lot of posts about service and repair issues and many if not most of the problems that occur seems to be able to be resolved in this way.

I live in Essex, VT. I'm about to order an M3, my first, but I'm concerned about service since it's over 200 miles to the nearest service location. What has your experience been with service? The M3 will be my only vehicle, so I have no backup.
I lived in Grand Isle for a while. It's either mobile service or taking a trip down to Boston for anything mobile can't do (which is a decent amount, anything that requires lifting, most suspension work, a lot of electric work that requires disconnecting the battery and anything that requires dropping it). I've tried to book service in Montreal a couple of times but appointments were cancelled.

He was based in Hartford, CT - about 72 miles from me. The nearest Tesla Service center in CT is in Milford CT, an hour further away than Hartford, so it would appear that at least some service techs are not based where the service centers are.

I'm just north of you in Walpole, NH. Our mobile tech is out of Rocky Hill, CT and, according to him, he covers up to an hour south of Hartford, CT and all the way up to Rutland, VT north. He is the only one, or at least was last time I talked to him a couple of months ago. He said they are having a lot of trouble recruiting because few techs want to work outside and in cold dirty garages in the middle of the winter. He is a nice guy but he is chronically late (partially because they make him drive an old model S as his main vehicle so he spends a lot of time at the Brattleboro supercharger).

North of Rutland, including Chittenden co, they have it much better: they've got several locally based mobile techs and a bigger parts warehouse.

I moved to Cape Cod 6+ months ago and the Dedham service center is > 1 hour away. The only service I've had for my 2018 M3 was the 2 year service. The tech came to my house, and apparently lives in the same town I do!

Reactions: kayak1
I've owned my M3 since October 2018. Other than preventative maintenance and visits by mobile service initiated by Tesla, the car has been flawless. The nearest service center is a four hour drive to Peabody, but I have never had to use it. I am retired, so if the car were to fail, I could easily work around the inconvenience. And one of my sons lives nearby in Boston, so I would have a place to stay.

Having said that, I would be very uncomfortable if I didn't have a ten year old beater (which I use mainly in winter) to fall back on. I would probably be ok without the beater, but in my mind its an affordable insurance policy. And don't forget, once the warranty is up and if the car can't be repaired by mobile service, YOU will have to pay for a flatbed to the nearest SC. If the risks are acceptable to you, then buy the M3. If not, consider an alternative EV with a dealership located near to you. For me, the ownership experience has been well worth any inconvenience.

I've owned my M3 since October 2018. Other than preventative maintenance and visits by mobile service initiated by Tesla, the car has been flawless. The nearest service center is a four hour drive to Peabody, but I have never had to use it. I am retired, so if the car were to fail, I could easily work around the inconvenience. And one of my sons lives nearby in Boston, so I would have a place to stay.

Having said that, I would be very uncomfortable if I didn't have a ten year old beater (which I use mainly in winter) to fall back on. I would probably be ok without the beater, but in my mind its an affordable insurance policy. And don't forget, once the warranty is up and if the car can't be repaired by mobile service, YOU will have to pay for a flatbed to the nearest SC. If the risks are acceptable to you, then buy the M3. If not, consider an alternative EV with a dealership located near to you. For me, the ownership experience has been well worth any inconvenience.
Well said, but I want to add one thing. If you live far from a Tesla Service Center it's wise to get an AAA membership. Mine allows for 100 miles of free towing, but I think there is another level that provides 200 miles of towing. I have had the misfortune to need a tow from AAA several times over the years. Each time the service was reasonably prompt and the tow truck operator was courteous.

Reactions: ArcticStation
Somewhere near Southern or Concord NH would be pretty damn great. Having to drive an hour or more for service, or taking an Uber home for over an hour suuuuuuuuucks. Same with Montpelier. The nearest service center for them is roughly an eternity away.
Yesterday, I visited the new SC in Peabody Mass. for routine, first maintenance on my two year old Model S. I live in Cape Elizabeth, Me. and am 93 miles from the Peabody SC. Most of the miles are on the Interstate and the trip took an hour and a half door to door. Maintenance was scheduled on the Mobile App, a detailed estimated was provided, which I accepted. The work took about 3 and1/2 hrs. and the cost was below estimate. Unless something goes wrong with the vehicle next maintenance is two years away. Before the Tesla, I drove BMW's which were serviced in Westbrook, Me. about a half hr. trip from my house. The BMW's required more service trips and only time will tell about cost. Unless something breaks on the Tesla my guess the BMW's will prove more costly.

Reactions: EdA
Yesterday, I visited the new SC in Peabody Mass. for routine, first maintenance on my two year old Model S. I live in Cape Elizabeth, Me. and am 93 miles from the Peabody SC. Most of the miles are on the Interstate and the trip took an hour and a half door to door. Maintenance was scheduled on the Mobile App, a detailed estimated was provided, which I accepted. The work took about 3 and1/2 hrs. and the cost was below estimate. Unless something goes wrong with the vehicle next maintenance is two years away. Before the Tesla, I drove BMW's which were serviced in Westbrook, Me. about a half hr. trip from my house. The BMW's required more service trips and only time will tell about cost. Unless something breaks on the Tesla my guess the BMW's will prove more costly.

That's quite a gamble, and I don't think the average customer is willing to take it. I've had my car in to Peabody two times, and Watertown once. Needing to drive an hour one way is not really acceptable, and even worse if they need to keep the car, you're going to get to spend an hour in an uber going home. If you can find an Uber that will accept your ride request. In your case, you're going to need someone to drive down with you and take you home.

Mobile service is also spotty with availability, so that's not really a possibility either. They need to mature their service, plain and simple. Customer support, really, since their customer support is easily some of the worst not only in the auto industry but of any industry. If you haven't discovered that yet, you will eventually.

That's quite a gamble, and I don't think the average customer is willing to take it. I've had my car in to Peabody two times, and Watertown once. Needing to drive an hour one way is not really acceptable, and even worse if they need to keep the car, you're going to get to spend an hour in an uber going home. If you can find an Uber that will accept your ride request. In your case, you're going to need someone to drive down with you and take you home.

Mobile service is also spotty with availability, so that's not really a possibility either. They need to mature their service, plain and simple. Customer support, really, since their customer support is easily some of the worst not only in the auto industry but of any industry. If you haven't discovered that yet, you will eventually.
I almost give this a "like," but let's face it, even if you agree 100%, there's not much for us in northern NE to "like" about the current service situation.

I'm moving from the suburbs of Boston to Maine at the end of the month.

I hope Mobile Service is dependable....
We live in rural Maine more than four hours from the closest SC. Two visits by Mobile Service since September 2018 (annual brake service plus Tesla initiated visit to replace charge port plastic pins). Tech called several hours before appointment time to confirm and arrived on time. During the brake service, we rotated the tires while they were already off the car--I was not charged for the rotation. Tech was professional and he answered all my questions (most of which involved subjects far beyond the work being done). Other than the hassle of scheduling Mobile Service using the app and, in my case, the two week wait between ordering service and arrival of the tech, it more than met my needs.

BTW, I used Mobile Service for the initial brake service after the first winter (in 2019). Today, my local shop is familiar enough with Teslas to do a brake and tire work along with the annual inspection. If you are moving to the Portland area, you will have options nearby for routine maintenance.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
We live in rural Maine more than four hours from the closest SC. Two visits by Mobile Service since September 2018 (annual brake service plus Tesla initiated visit to replace charge port plastic pins). Tech called several hours before appointment time to confirm and arrived on time. During the brake service, we rotated the tires while they were already off the car--I was not charged for the rotation. Tech was professional and he answered all my questions (most of which involved subjects far beyond the work being done). Other than the hassle of scheduling Mobile Service using the app and, in my case, the two week wait between ordering service and arrival of the tech, it more than met my needs.

BTW, I used Mobile Service for the initial brake service after the first winter (in 2019). Today, my local shop is familiar enough with Teslas to do a brake and tire work along with the annual inspection. If you are moving to the Portland area, you will have options nearby for routine maintenance.
I'll be closer to the Paris Autobarn. So I won't be totally "lost in the woods" for maintenance.

Too be fair and give credit where credit is due, the mobile service tech who covers my region is very good.

I would really like if they'd send mobile service to me rather than making me drive to Peabody from the Manchester area. Then again, I'd love it if Peabody answered replies to their messages more than once a damn week.

At this point I think Tesla service is as bad as Comcast was at their lowest. Without adding more service centers, this problem is going to get much worse. All this area, and they want us all to go to two locations? (Watertown only makes sense if you're basically IN Watertown)

service northeast.png

There's a possibility that Tesla Service could be coming soon to East Hartford, CT. The location would be at the former location of a Volvo dealership owned by Gengras Motor Cars, 300 Connecticut Blvd. There's 30K sq. ft. of available space, formerly used for showroom and service.

The linked article below, along with another proposed CT Tesla bill story within the link, contains a good bit of anti-Tesla FUD spouted by Chip Gengras. Chipper claims that initially he didn't realize Tesla was the interested party. Now he's okay with them, because Tesla will only be using the property for repairs. Nothing to see here. Greed is good. Wonder how this story will play out with all of Gengras's CARA pals?

A few hours ago The Hartford Courant added more color to the East Hartford Tesla Service location. The article is likely behind a paywall, here's a couple excerpts,

"East Hartford officials recently approved a plan to redevelop a building at the Gengras car dealership on Connecticut Boulevard to serve as a Tesla service center with a showroom."

"E. Clayton Gengras, who struck the deal with Tesla, said it has nothing to do with selling Teslas in Connecticut, which he opposes.

“The building was on the market and I got an offer,” he said in a phone interview Monday."

The article also mentions the site would be used for auto body repair and car charging.
There is a missing element. Gengras stated that he didn't know when the deal would close. However, it seems clearer now this deal has been negotiated as a sale, not just a property lease.

https://paid.outbrain.com/network/r...H2V7nSNE8ahQdFSji4Ed-OaC8tDmHg&c=d99e9e24&v=3

The last couple of days there's been a slew of articles published concerning Hoffman Auto Group suing anyone involved with Tesla's plan to establish an East Hartford CT repair shop. Quoting Hoffman's lawyer........."By illegally circumventing the franchise system, the proposed service center with a showroom would deprive Connecticut consumers of many of the protections they currently enjoy.”...... He alleges that Tesla will be violating state law by selling vehicles directly to consumers, although I haven't seen any evidence of that intent. This will be an interesting case to follow. Actual or armchair attorneys are welcome to weigh in. Car Dealership Sues Tesla And A Town Because They Don't Want Tesla To Sell To Its Customers

Reactions: Tdreamer