Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Service Model for Rockville Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skipdd

Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2015
Silver Spring, MD
So, I booked my 3rd annual service at Rockville Service Center for this Friday, Feb 24th. Today I received a call to confirm, and they said that they were going to offer me a "faster service option" - I would drop my car off at the RSC and they would take it to Baltimore to service it and then return it to RSC where I would pick it up. The alternative would be to have it serviced at Rockville, but there were 4 cars ahead of me. They said there was a team in from California in Baltimore this week and that the Baltimore location had more availability.

I have mixed emotions about this. On the one hand, it seems like a good thing that they are being proactive in trying to load balance their work, and will take on the responsibility to get my car from Rockville to Owings Mills and back. On the other hand, when I called to book my service appointment in mid January, I knew they were slammed with the opening of Owings Mills, so I gave them the option for picking a date that would work with two requests (1) a Friday morning appt and (2) a loaner. Ah, and on the loaner, they told me today, that because it is toward the end of the quarter they are running low on loaners, but would have a car rental. Also have mixed feelings about them driving the car to/from Owings Mills. They said they will be responsible for any damage should something happen- I asked.

For now, I agreed to let this happen, but am still thinking about it. I think it will ultimately come down to how busy my Friday is. If I have to drive to Virginia, then I will probably stay the course with Rockville drop-off and pick-up. If not, I may just take Rockville out of the loop and drive to/from Owings Mills myself.

Interested in others' thoughts.

Thanks.

I like the flexible approach they're taking to optimize their service schedule...out of curiosity, what kind of mileage are we talking about here for a RT? Yes, I could googlemap it but figured you would know w/o having to look it up :)

I would love to understand the logic re. absence of loaners because of end of Q...unless they're trying to book as much service revenue as possible for the Q and are booking more appointments than usual?

I like the flexible approach they're taking to optimize their service schedule...out of curiosity, what kind of mileage are we talking about here for a RT? Yes, I could googlemap it but figured you would know w/o having to look it up :)

I would love to understand the logic re. absence of loaners because of end of Q...unless they're trying to book as much service revenue as possible for the Q and are booking more appointments than usual?
They sell loaners as CPOs before the end of the quarter.

Ah, and on the loaner, they told me today, that because it is toward the end of the quarter they are running low on loaners, but would have a car rental.
There have been seven weeks in this quarter, and there are six left. I wouldn't call that the end, but seems odd that they would lie about why they didn't have a loaner for you.

If you take it to Baltimore, let us know how the experience goes.

Rockville to Owings Mills will take about an hour to drive, maybe a tad more. I would estimate the mileage at about 45-50 miles each way. A lot of highway, beltway, and major roads. Time for trip depends on time of day and direction you are heading. Limited rush hour traffic on way up, definitely some on way back.

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with @andrewket that RSC is likely short staffed. My only frustration is that I let them pick the date, hoping to avoid this issue. I've decided to work from home on Friday, so I'm going to see if I can just deliver my car directly to Owings Mills. Maybe they will have a loaner.. I will check on this approach tomorrow. I'm 15 min closer than RSC, to Owings Mills, so it's fewer miles on the car. I suppose I could have said something about that since it's leased, but (a) that's petty and (b), I'm so far over the lease monthly average that the extra miles is a rounding error:). Main reason for driving up myself, is I'd like to meet the folks who are going to do the work. I will update the thread on how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

Update and bringing this to a close. Spoke with both Owings Mills and Rockville SCs this morning. RSC changed its mind and wants to do the work there, so no need to go to Owings Mills. A few more points of interest for future awareness -

Rockville has rental cars onsite (Hertz), so you don't have to waste time getting to the rental car location. Owings Mills does not, yet. They say it is something they hope to work out. Owings Mills has 3 lifts whereas Rockville has more. Apparently this factored into the change in approach for where to do the work on my car. Owings Mills was unaware that Rockville was going to take my car there. I think that's probably because Rockville changed its mind...but, better safe than sorry, if this happens to someone else, probably wise to check with both locations to make sure everyone is on the same page.

• Informative
Reactions: MMC- and kevinf311