TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New service protocols and communications process: you gotta love it

Discussion in 'Model S' started by artsci, Aug 30, 2018.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

My car went in for service at Owings Mills yesterday. Probably needs a drive unit replacement, a CPU fix (driver’s information screen is flickering and not reporting any data), and charge port LED replacement. Glad I bought the extended warranty, as I think it just paid for itself.

But this message is about the much improved communications process regarding service, which in my experience has changed much for the better. Once I checked in yesterday morning by midday I got a text message asking me if I wanted service status updates. I responded in the affirmative. Later in the day I received another text telling me that the service will be delayed until needed parts arrived. This morning I received another message telling me that work on the car had begun. In my experience this is a total and much needed change to service communications.

I expect the work to be finished by the end of today or tomorrow, and expect more text messages on progress and status.

Is this now common practice for cars in service or it this something particular to my service center? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 2
  2. derekmw

derekmw Member

I've been getting text messages from service department for at least a year when I bring it in for work.

• Like x 1
  3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Yes, I've been getting these in San Diego as well.

4. steinermeister

Text messages at Agoura SC (LA) as well...and texting back/forth is amazing.

5. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

It’s becoming commonplace across the board. I received text updates when my Merc and Bimmer were in for service. Much easier for service personnel to deal with vs countless vmails and return calls. They just hire a low level person (or give the job to the Internet dept) to text on behalf of each service advisor. For Merc/BMW, the texts appear to come from my SA, but you can clearly tell that it’s a generic update.
    Tesla text updates do seem to come from my advisor or the tech lead that walked the car with me to go over repairs/concerns for the day.

6. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

In Dallas, too. It's very nice.

• Like x 1
  7. Greengolfer

Greengolfer Member

Same thing from the Palm Desert SC.

8. usa9910

usa9910 Member

all service reps have access to send you text messages through any computer at Tesla. So it is much much easier for them to communicate with us.

• Like x 1
  9. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

The considerate updates from service are fantastic. They keep me up to date on what is going on, any new developments and it helps me to schedule my day and when to expect to go back in to pick it up.

Great use of technology.

Someday that might even be the case for those waiting for new vehicle deliveries. Mostly get just slience now until the delivery date is almost here.

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Glad to hear that this practice is becoming universal. Owings Mills must be a relative late comer, as I haven’t experience this with them before.

11. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I will chime in, Syosset, NY SC also started using SMS communications with my most recent visit. For the most part, it worked out well, but there were a couple of times they claimed that my responses weren't sent to them when I was inquiring about my car. I am not sure how true that is, but when it worked, it was highly efficient.

12. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

had text message updates and back and forth chats with service techs as well. Its a cool feature.

13. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

yep they've been doing this for several months, if not a year or so... definitely a nice improvement.

14. pinball_player

They have had this for over a year in the Dedham, MA service center.

15. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I have been getting those from the Charlotte service center also for a while now.

16. Atlantan

Atlantan Inactive Member

Yup same here....text message updates were great.

17. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

When it's actively being worked on, yes those automated text messages are great. But actual human communication still sucks. I ordered a replacement windshield over 2.5 weeks ago and was told they should either have it in two weeks or will have an ETA by then. Haven't heard anything since. Sent a message via website earlier this week, which promised a 24 - 48 hour response. 96 hours later.. nothing.

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Text messages since at least last year in DFW.