Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New service protocols and communications process: you gotta love it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car went in for service at Owings Mills yesterday. Probably needs a drive unit replacement, a CPU fix (driver’s information screen is flickering and not reporting any data), and charge port LED replacement. Glad I bought the extended warranty, as I think it just paid for itself.

But this message is about the much improved communications process regarding service, which in my experience has changed much for the better. Once I checked in yesterday morning by midday I got a text message asking me if I wanted service status updates. I responded in the affirmative. Later in the day I received another text telling me that the service will be delayed until needed parts arrived. This morning I received another message telling me that work on the car had begun. In my experience this is a total and much needed change to service communications.

I expect the work to be finished by the end of today or tomorrow, and expect more text messages on progress and status.

Is this now common practice for cars in service or it this something particular to my service center? Inquiring minds want to know.

It’s becoming commonplace across the board. I received text updates when my Merc and Bimmer were in for service. Much easier for service personnel to deal with vs countless vmails and return calls. They just hire a low level person (or give the job to the Internet dept) to text on behalf of each service advisor. For Merc/BMW, the texts appear to come from my SA, but you can clearly tell that it’s a generic update.
Tesla text updates do seem to come from my advisor or the tech lead that walked the car with me to go over repairs/concerns for the day.

The considerate updates from service are fantastic. They keep me up to date on what is going on, any new developments and it helps me to schedule my day and when to expect to go back in to pick it up.

Great use of technology.

Someday that might even be the case for those waiting for new vehicle deliveries. Mostly get just slience now until the delivery date is almost here.

I will chime in, Syosset, NY SC also started using SMS communications with my most recent visit. For the most part, it worked out well, but there were a couple of times they claimed that my responses weren't sent to them when I was inquiring about my car. I am not sure how true that is, but when it worked, it was highly efficient.

When it's actively being worked on, yes those automated text messages are great. But actual human communication still sucks. I ordered a replacement windshield over 2.5 weeks ago and was told they should either have it in two weeks or will have an ETA by then. Haven't heard anything since. Sent a message via website earlier this week, which promised a 24 - 48 hour response. 96 hours later.. nothing.