Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Ship for Fairing Recovery

petit_bateau

Jun 18, 2020
UK
What is interesting about the ship itself ? That looks like a fairly standard offshore supply vessel with a typical lightweight subsea fitout MV SHELIA BORDELON The interesting aspect surely is why the normal fairing recovery vessels are both unavailable ? Am I missing something ?

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
What is interesting about the ship itself ? That looks like a fairly standard offshore supply vessel with a typical lightweight subsea fitout MV SHELIA BORDELON The interesting aspect surely is why the normal fairing recovery vessels are both unavailable ? Am I missing something ?

Both Ms. Tree and Ms. Chief are being re-outfitted for recovery operations with the upcoming Commercial Crew launches and recoveries: Crew 2 is going up and Crew 1 is coming back.

Reactions: petit_bateau

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
That makes me a little sad.
But it makes sense: the majority of launches are Starlink, and they have no qualms about re-using sea-soaked fairings on those (since they don’t appear to need clean-room condition fairing halves for Starlink). That leaves only a handful of customer missions a year that would be open to re-used fairings but that would also require ones that were caught in a net.
They made it happen, more than once. We got cool footage, thanks SpaceX!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC