Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Showroom Model S P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I was hoping to get some opinions if I reserved a good vehicle. This will be my first Tesla. I've been looking for a discounted/showroom Model S 90D or P90/85D. Speed and range are important to me and both are certainly fast enough. Trying to stay at $100k or under. I found a showroom 2016 P90D on the Tesla site and I reserved it for the $2500. Pricing seemed really low at $100k and I'm wondering why no one else grabbed it. When I inquired with my tesla salesman why it was discounted $20,000 off list he said it was because it has autopilot 1 instead of 2. It's missing some other options too. I was hoping to get your opinions if I should stick with this car or am I better off ordering a new 100D at this point (I'm ok waiting the 2 months). Thank you!
Model S P90D
Solid Black Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
Multi-Pattern Black Seats
Figured Ash Wood Décor
Integrated Center Console
White Alcantara Headliner
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Free Supercharging
Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package

Thanks.

If it has all you want in terms of options, I'd go for it. It will be faster than 100D and that sounds like something you want. Range difference may not matter much to you (it wouldn't to me for example, nice to have but for what price). Autopilot 1 today still does more than AP2. At some point AP2 will surpass it, but the question is do you care? AP2 is also 3x the price. Personally, I have AP1 but don't use it enough to justify $8k for the second car which does have AP2 hardware. Heck, AP2 hardware still hasn't delivered all the non-AP features yet, for example auto-wipers or emergency braking or blind spot detection (the latter sucks on AP1 btw). To be perfectly honest, if Tesla offered me an AP2 retrofit for my AP1 P85D today for $8K, I would pass without any regrets.

So, given your budget, you have to decide what would rather be missing: leather, power tail-gate, AP2, extra range, free supercharging or the performance. You cannot have it all in your budget.

If performance is important to you, you should find out which version of the battery that P90D has. You can read about the differences here. Basically it was only the most recent version of the 90 pack that is able to meet the original specs of the car.

Good luck!

Not sure if you're just looking for top acceleration or what, but for 100K you could get a loaded car with AP2, leather, lift gate, enhanced LED lighting, grab an extra 50 or so miles of range, and your 0-60 speed instead of being 3 seconds with be 4. Is the 1 second of improved acceleration worth cloth seats and having to manually open your hatch? Not for me. '

Important note, since it's a 2016, I believe you would get FUSC (free unlimited supercharging), which, if you planned to travel long distances and travel a lot, might be of value to you. The 100D would NOT have FUSC.

Either car will be great. Can't lose really.

I think the textile seats are a large part of discount (along with AP1) and that would hurt your resale value (assuming that is a concern for you...).

For instance, these would be "better" cars *for me* resale/option-wise. "Only" 90Ds but still great cars. Smaller discounts but ~$100k as well. Not sure where they are located though.

Model S 90D 5YJSA1E23GF167437 | Tesla
Model S 90D 5YJSA1E29GF167636 | Tesla

In addition to the sites listed above to navigate the inventory, I would reach out to Tesla directly as they have insights into cars that are about to be listed.

Hi, I just got back from Tesla. Nice folks over there. I actually don’t have a problem with the textile two-tone partial leather seats but it seems that a lot of people do. The non-sunroof is a slight problem for me. In a year, I might be kicking myself for not having AP2. I’m probably going to buy it vs lease since both require large down payments from what I’m told. So, as some of you have alluded to, I’m concerned about the resale value of the 2016 P90D with AP1 and missing some features that are very important to people. I would hate to call tesla for a trade-in in 3 years and be told I’m under water on the loan. Any further thoughts on this issue? It's surprising that I'm actually leaning toward a 100D/90D over a new P90D priced the same but I guess I have to be smart about this. Thank you.

I think the textile seats are a large part of discount (along with AP1) and that would hurt your resale value (assuming that is a concern for you...).

For instance, these would be "better" cars *for me* resale/option-wise. "Only" 90Ds but still great cars. Smaller discounts but ~$100k as well. Not sure where they are located though.

Model S 90D 5YJSA1E23GF167437 | Tesla
Model S 90D 5YJSA1E29GF167636 | Tesla

In addition to the sites listed above to navigate the inventory, I would reach out to Tesla directly as they have insights into cars that are about to be listed.

I don't think you are looking at it right. You are looking at the resale dollars vs. depreciation (what you pay minus what you get back from resale). Consider AP2 FSD vs. AP1. You pay $8K for FSD and $2.5K for AP1. After 4 years, FSD is worth less than half, so even if AP1 was completely worthless (which it won't be), it still has lower depreciation (AP1 can only loose $2,500 in value ever, which is what almost what FSD loses when you drive off the lot). Think buying a brand new Ferrari vs. brand new Corolla. Ferrari of course will have much higher resale dollar value, but it doesn't mean is has "better resale value", because you paid so much more up front.

As for leather seats vs. performance, I think 4 year old performance will beat out 4 year old leather seats in dollar value any time.

We purchased a MS 70D (Inventory $84K) & MX 90D (Inventory $105K) last year with much better options (Specs in signature). I don't think the car is worth it for the amount they are asking. Especially with no leather, pano roof or premium package. We have AP1 in our cars and rarely use AP with the long commutes that we have (25K to 30K each per year). We love to drive our vehicles ;)

Reactions: RichardD
Lol. I have a 60D in Chicago and find no issues with range. Not that a 100D isn't better but it's not like I have to make do with 60. I avg 310s wh/mi with heat on 69 and seat heaters and driving wheel heat. If money is no issue fine but no one needs a 100d just because it's Chicago. I was getting 240 wh/mi in the recent heat wave. Good luck either way. Just my two cents from a Chicagoan.

I don't think you are looking at it right. You are looking at the resale dollars vs. depreciation (what you pay minus what you get back from resale). Consider AP2 FSD vs. AP1. You pay $8K for FSD and $2.5K for AP1. After 4 years, FSD is worth less than half, so even if AP1 was completely worthless (which it won't be), it still has lower depreciation (AP1 can only loose $2,500 in value ever, which is what almost what FSD loses when you drive off the lot). Think buying a brand new Ferrari vs. brand new Corolla. Ferrari of course will have much higher resale dollar value, but it doesn't mean is has "better resale value", because you paid so much more up front.

Hmmm (pun intended) Since the cars I have linked are all priced similarly to the car discussed here (on purpose), we're talking Ferrari vs Ferrari here, not Ferrari vs. Corolla and higher depreciation rate for an older/less optioned car will translate into a lower resale price in absolute dollars.

Or am I missing your point altogether? :)

Hmmm (pun intended) Since the cars I have linked are all priced similarly to the car discussed here (on purpose), we're talking Ferrari vs Ferrari here, not Ferrari vs. Corolla and higher depreciation rate for an older/less optioned car will translate into a lower resale price in absolute dollars.

Or am I missing your point altogether? :)

Ok, without using analogies - what do you think will have a lower 3 year depreciation, AP2 FSD or AP1 Convenience Features? On a lease, Tesla says residual value on option is 40%, so 60% depreciation. For AP2 that's $4800, and for AP1 that's $1500. Even if AP1 was to depreciate completely, it will still have lower depreciation. So if your main concern is how much you lose on resale, you should get AP1, not AP2.

I think we're going in circle here and will just have to agree to disagree. Your math is right but you're approaching this on a line item by line item basis and are missing the bigger picture: a car is more than the sum of its parts and there is an intangible aspect that makes many people want to pay less for a car that is perceived as outdated overall.

Now, let's get back on topic here...OP, are you passing on that car? No matter what, you'll end up with a great car!

Reactions: RichardD