Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New soft closing door kit for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive always thought Model S’s doors feel cheap (especially for the price of the car) and often people have to open and re-close the doors.

I just found this kit at:
Model S Soft Closing Doors – Tesla Offer

It looks like it does the job well. Pricey at $750 for 4 doors, $400 for 2 doors. I’m awaiting instructions to see how involved it is to install.

What do others think of this? A posting years ago explored this using a BMW mechanism but it never went anywhere further.
Old posts:
Soft close doors
Soft door closing

I would say that is not very pricey; that is the price of one door handle fix from Tesla.

Hmmm, just got mad at my daughter a few days ago for slamming the door so hard the Blackvue said "impact detected". Interested.

• Funny
Reactions: Joelc
Ive always thought Model S’s doors feel cheap (especially for the price of the car) and often people have to open and re-close the doors.

I just found this kit at:
Model S Soft Closing Doors – Tesla Offer

It looks like it does the job well. Pricey at $750 for 4 doors, $400 for 2 doors. I’m awaiting instructions to see how involved it is to install.

What do others think of this? A posting years ago explored this using a BMW mechanism but it never went anywhere further.
Old posts:
Soft close doors
Soft door closing
Great find! Waiting for the installation instruction to decide if I want to do this.

German cars were the inventors of the solid sounding door closings.

They intentionally design a bank vault sounding door closing as it gives their cars a premium feel. Much like not putting hard plastic on touch points like buttons. Soft plastic makes the cars feel more expensive.

The finest example of all, is still the fully motorized front, hatch and Falcon Wing doors of the Tesla Model X. They close softly. Individual motors un-latch, open, close and re-latch everything. Outside of a Rolls Royce Phantom, nobody else has such an impressive system. Quiet and powerful.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Any thoughts on warranty void on installing these?
My thought, as with anything car warranty related, is that there are laws protecting consumers & the onus is on the car manufacturer to prove that your modification caused the failure that they denied warranty coverage on in which case they're within their right to do so & the consumer shouldn't expect free repairs of something they effectively broke. For the other 99% of the time the consumer is protected so they shouldn't worry about it.

I just placed an order for all 4 doors. The kit looks quite doable and well made from the video (wiring harnesses and tapes etc included). Here's the install video:

I also asked for a discount for the TMC forums and he's offering $50 off til Aug 31st. Use this code: TMCAUG50OFF

Looking forward to installing this!!

Edit: aw man didn't see the Aliexpress links. I have been in communication with the seller (no affiliation) and at least he's responsive and is fluent in English. Not sure if he's providing any extra parts like the wiring harnesses or if it's the same as the Aliexpress item (I'll bet it is). At least he made an instructional video so I guess it's good to reward that!

I'll still keep the order - I did order via Paypal so one good thing is Paypal has 6 months buyer protection. I've had problems with Aliexpress buyer protection, but then again, the cost on AliExpress is considerably cheaper....

Last edited: