Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New soft closing door kit for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in conversations with the owner (Warren Chan) -- they are actually doing installations in the Seattle and Vancouver, BC (Canada) for Model 3/S Soft Closing Doors and Model 3 Electric Tailgate from 22nd Aug to 30th Aug.

Unfortunately my (just ordered!!) new S won't be here by then so I won't be getting the install done by his team.

He's working out the actual price but anticipates the installation cost to be around $300 USD.

I also asked about warranty and he offers a 1 year warranty for this.

I guess I'm justifying my own purchase at the higher cost, but I am reassured by the warranty and support/replies I've had so far.

One other item he has on his shop that looks really tempting is a handsfree trunk opener for Model X to open the trunk by kicking your foot under the bumper. He says it works for Model S but they don't have instructions for that yet.

Very surprised that over the years Tesla has not incorporated these mechanisms.
Of course that is very good news for entrepreneurs like Warren Chan and my hat is off to him for taking advantage of the opportunity filling a void left by Tesla.
Keep up the good work!

Looks absolutely doable DIY. While at it, I recommend deadening the front door (both interior metal and the plastic panel) with alubutyl product and a closed cell foam. That alone upgrades the feeling of the door, and it is so easy as you have already taken the panel off. In the end of the video the instructor shows a cover plate which became ”unnecessary” as it no longer fits due to cable pulled through the opening - you do need to cover the hole with something (e.g. that alubutyl), or prepare for road noise. This cover was not present on early cars and it is a notorious source of rear noise.

Is it confirmed that the Aliexpress product is the same vendor? Ordering through US is unfortunately not sensible due to customs and shipping cost.

I wonder if the mechanism has been tested or designed for below freezing conditions?

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: nico180 and faughtz
I'm not sold that the Aliexpress version matches -- the wiring harness in the video doesn't match. Is it just me?

Yeah, he's recommending dynamat -- might as well do it since the door is open. I think I'll do this mod as well. The video doesn't look incredibly hard at all...just time consuming as expected.

Anyone in the Los Angeles area open/willing to do this install? (at pure convenience for me!)

Reactions: KArnold
Is what you are referring to a product similar to dynamat?
Yes, Dynamat is one of best known brands for deadening butyl sheets coated with aluminium.

Also, if you’ve ever considered upgrading the speakers, that’s the time to do it. And adding a softer layer on top of the dynamat does wonders (e.g. dynapad).

I got second thoughts on the winter durability, unless proven otherwise. In Nordics, it’ll require cold operation at least to -30C. Not common, but almost every winter we go below =20C for at least a couple of days. @SteveW25561 have you considered this as I assume cold may be issue in Canada as well?

I'm not sold that the Aliexpress version matches -- the wiring harness in the video doesn't match. Is it just me?

Yeah, he's recommending dynamat -- might as well do it since the door is open. I think I'll do this mod as well. The video doesn't look incredibly hard at all...just time consuming as expected.

Anyone in the Los Angeles area open/willing to do this install? (at pure convenience for me!)
I am going to try

I clicked on this thread out of curiosity, I have zero problem with the sound my doors make, it's extremely solid. My S is only a couple months old (Raven), so it has all of the current "upgrades". Apparently the solidity of door closing was another issue Tesla addressed.

I clicked on this thread out of curiosity, I have zero problem with the sound my doors make, it's extremely solid. My S is only a couple months old (Raven), so it has all of the current "upgrades". Apparently the solidity of door closing was another issue Tesla addressed.

Apparently you only read a few posts and don't know that this is NOT about the sound that the door makes when it's closed?

Reactions: Rayminster
So I purchased the kit from Tesla Offer on Saturday, was shipped Monday from Hong Kong and arrived at my house on yesterday (Tuesday). I had time to install the front two last night and figured I would share some notes with everyone. I had taken the door cards off before so I kinda knew what to do and look for, installing it wasn't hard at all besides for what I ran into below.

1. Based on the video I didn't think I would need a cable puller to get the wires through the rubber grommet since it seemed pretty large and they stated they didn't need cable pull lubricant. I spent way too much time trying to pull the wires without one before getting my cable puller from my neighbor so learn from my mistakes and get a cable puller and lubricant.

2. One of the torx bolt that holds the old latch onto the door stripped really bad. I had backed it out enough that I was able to use vice grips on the outside of the bolt to back it all the way out but honestly I don't think I would have been able to get it out without cutting, drilling it out, or trying to dremel it into a flat head if it wasn't already somewhat out. Based on the threads it looks like a lot of dirt somehow got on it but I cleaned it and loosely was able to use it on the new latching mechanism but I will have to get a new one from Tesla or somewhere to replace it.

Now that its installed I would say that it is an awesome upgrade. It took me almost four hours because of the issues I ran into but now that the wiring is there if I had to replace one of them again, if they go bad, I would say it would take me maybe 15 minutes. The sound of the unlocking mechanism is definitely deeper and more defined, like a German built car. The closing and locking sound the same to me but I had already put dynamat on the doors during a speaker upgrade. The soft close works really well, and if you close the door hard, it works just like a normal door.

I live in the Seattle area (40 miles south). I was going to have them install all 4. When I contacted them, they said that they would get back to me. (They do the install at your home and not at a shop)

I guess I am too far away because they never did get back in touch with me. Accordingly, I've ordered the front and back kits from Ali Express.

I'll take photos of the unboxing and thoughts on install. I'm glad they didn't get back....saving 700 bux between price difference and install. I was just being lazy.

I upgraded my stereo myself, so am very familiar and comfortable removing the panels.