Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New software, new bugs and new stupid "features"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
Just got 2019.12.1.1 4b1dd29 yesterday.

Oh boy! Faster supercharging! Well, maybe a little but - the jury is still out on that one. Supercharged this morning and didn't see a big difference. Have to compare on a road trip.

But the new crop of bugs is certainly popping up! While supercharging this morning, I was playing with the Atari. When I exited, media player functionality did not return to the left-hand scroll wheel or buttons! I could change the left-hand cluster display in the normal manner, but pushing the scroll wheel did not unpause / pause the music selection, and the buttons did not advance or backup the media selection. Even the play bar on the touchscreen didn't work. I had to select a new song on the list, and that restored all the functionality. Good job, Tesla!
But there's more! When I put the car in drive to leave the charging site, the music stopped playing and the functionality listed above was gone again! Once more I had to select a song on the list to restore it.

I wonder what other bugs I'll find in the next few weeks.

As for new "features..."

What genius decided that every time I change from park to drive, or reverse to drive, (neutral to drive? didn't try that one yet) I need to have the media player pop up and fill a third of the screen? This is very annoying. When I want to see the media player, I can touch the little notes. Now I have to touch them to turn the darned thing off - much more frequently than I would turn it on. Really a stupid thing to do, Tesla.
Also, anyone else notice that the owners map says the small media player control bar appears automatically at the bottom of the screen (blocking at most about 15% of the map), but actually the control bar AND the favorites appear (blocking about a third of the map). The former might be okay. The latter is not. And the owners manual needs to be corrected, or the software.

Also not sure the somewhat muted traffic colors are better. That information should stand out on the map. Losing the green for no traffic slowdowns is fine, but the brighter red and yellow of the old map were much easier to read at a glance than are the more muted colors. Maybe this one needs rethinking.

Ok. Rant over.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: TaoJones and P85_DA
To add to your rant.. I've see 3 new-to-me bugs in my MX100D with this 12.1.1 update:

1) BT audio controls loose sync with my Pixel2. Eg, spotify will be playing a song, but the MCU displays a song from a long time ago, and the playback controls don't work. I notice this right when it plays a song I DON'T want to hear, so it is frustrating.
2) "Cruise Unavailable" popped up for a short trip. Car didn't see speed limits or draw lane lines, and both cruise and AP were unavailable
3) The only way I can open my charge port is via the app. The button on my charger no longer works, and when using the MCU to open it, it closes again when I exit the car. I feel like it is taunting me.

1 & 2 can be "fixed" by rebooting the MCU. Not sure about 3. The only time I've had the button on my charger work was *WHILE* the MCU was rebooting to fix the second occurrence of #1 (the BT audio issue).

There must be some massive employee grievances going on in Tesla software factory... the bugs coming out are far exceeding any visible feature benefits that should be coming out instead. They're taking their frustrations out on the code and sticking it to the customer.

Or they've only really got 3 people working in that department, and were all hired last week.

My car is currently drivable... so I think I'm just going to be refusing updates for a few months ... maybe this will get better by then. I just don't want to risk some boneheaded bug taking my car offline...

I think there is literally nobody at Tesla in charge of media software. Because the USB player has been getting more and more broken since roughly 2014, with no fixes.

I haven't updated voluntarily for years; I was forced to when my screen crashed completely, which is why I'm stuck with v8 instead of v6 (v6 was a lot better). I will never update to v9.

Originally, I was just waiting for them to fix the major regression bugs before updating. They've introduced dozens of new ones. A media player which actually worked as well as a 1970s tape deck, now, that seems to be too much to ask for...

I had my console cold hard crash and loop and loop ... on V8 which mandated V9... regretted it ever since. Good luck staying on 8 for as long as you can.

Anybody still on good 'ol V6.2 ? Ahhh... I'd pay to have that back as a blast from the past, just to enjoy stuff that worked reliably.

Reactions: Minecon_CA
The last version of the traffic colors before the current one had one critical flaw. Traffic went from green to orange to red, then on to pink for the most severe backups, which was readily mistaken for orange in my experience. The new system goes a deep maroon, so you know the really bad areas.

How much is your voltage drop?

The car might be trying to tell you something...

My voltage is rock solid. It happens at work, too. I charge at 40 or 48 amps or whatever, unplug and drive away. Then I return to the same spot, either home or work, the next day, open up the battery settings to adjust the charge level, and the amperage has changed to 5 amps. Others online have reported the same bug. It's not a voltage issue.

Another less used way of opening the port is holding the back of the fob down continuously like your opening hatch. Just hold down only(not click or click twice) Hold down only and on many, not all the port opens.

I do this often for L2 charge at work

I had my console cold hard crash and loop and loop ... on V8 which mandated V9... regretted it ever since. Good luck staying on 8 for as long as you can.

Anybody still on good 'ol V6.2 ? Ahhh... I'd pay to have that back as a blast from the past, just to enjoy stuff that worked reliably.
I was on 8 until I went on vacation and had a new windshield installed. My mother in law picked my car up and said the car told her it was doing an update..apparently this one was actually forced from how she described it
at least 9 is a little better (for classics) than when it was rolled out