Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New software update behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ptronus31

Model X LR, Ultra Red, White
Jun 14, 2019
Washington state
I received V10 (2019.32.11) over a week ago. I have been waiting for 2019.32.11.1 for a few days now.

I decided to go to the car Settings > Software just to check (not on Wi-Fi at the time). When I did it initiated a "Checking for updates". It found the update and notified me to connect to Wi-Fi.

Is this a way to accelerate updates? Was it just a coincidence? Is it new behavior as part of V10?

Is this a way to accelerate updates? Was it just a coincidence? Is it new behavior as part of V10?

I followed your procedure (except that the car was on WiFi) and got the same result. Had been waiting for 2019.32.11.1 for a while now after getting 2019.32.11 fairly quickly in the update cycle. The car immediately checked for updates, then initiated a download. I think you've stumbled on to something important here!

I followed your procedure (except that the car was on WiFi) and got the same result. Had been waiting for 2019.32.11.1 for a while now after getting 2019.32.11 fairly quickly in the update cycle. The car immediately checked for updates, then initiated a download. I think you've stumbled on to something important here!

If I had to guess, my guess would be that this would only trigger the car to CHECK for an update, which it would likely do sometime fairly soon (maybe within 24 hours or less). It makes sense that this would make the car "phone home" but would not do anything to actually move your car up in the queue so to speak.

Just a guess.

This is what it looks like:

qc%2Gzm0RPy%yN3EsabG+g.jpg

I did try it again when I saw a few people reporting 2019.32.12.2 availability. It worked! The software downloaded 100% without incident and informed me on my phone app. I launched the install and it updated my SR+, which is set to standard software update preference.

Not sure why this is working for me and not for others.

I got 12.2 without doing anything special in the car last friday (10/11). I still think that the update is already queued for your car when you are doing this, and its just checking and finding an update that would be downloaded within 24 hours for you anyway.

I got 12.2 without doing anything special in the car last friday (10/11). I still think that the update is already queued for your car when you are doing this, and its just checking and finding an update that would be downloaded within 24 hours for you anyway.

That's certainly possible, but I don't have advanced software update preference selected. Normally if I do nothing, I fall behind what most of the forum is reporting as currently available.

I think the old saying applies here — once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action. ;)