TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New software Wifi vs LTE which one receives update first?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by YVR88, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. YVR88

YVR88 Member

Do cars connected to wifi networks receive firmware updates earlier?

Would sort of make sense since someone has to pay for the LTE data usage. If Tesla could reduce LTE data usage pushing software out to cars on wifi first then LTE after.

Is this the case or does it not make a difference?

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

According to Elon (in some tweet) Wi-Fi connected cars get priority. But I don't know if that's been experimentally verified by anyone.

• Like x 1
  3. YVR88

YVR88 Member

Thank You

I wonder how many of those first 1,000 cars to get the update where connected to wifi?

4. Hammer@OR.US

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. idealsol

idealsol Member

I got the update on wifi

• Like x 1
  6. rajpatel486

rajpatel486 Member

I have a relative with an S85 from 2014 with a 3G connection that hasn't gotten 8.0 yet.

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

It's done alphabetically based on TMC username.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. tokuro

tokuro Member

I got my WiFi to work, finally, only if I enable "gf-brcm" mode on 2.4G band on AP.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, but you didn't need to post it in four different threads. (So far. Maybe there's more I haven't seen yet).

10. Allanf

Allanf Supporting Member

Kind of related, am on software version 17.17.4 and wondering why I haven’t been upgraded to version 17.24.28 or somewhere close to latest release. I thought it might be due to having a weak Wi-F- signal in garage and a so-so LTE signal but I just set up a Wi-Fi range extender - AirPort Extreme as base and Airport Express. If I select my Wi-Fi network when sitting in car in garage Tesla connects to it but after I leave car Tesla reverts to LTE network. Car was manufactured 12/16 - HW-2, Model S 90D. Or am I a bit too impatient re software upgrade? Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

11. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Don't overthink it -- the releases beyond 17.17 are not being rolled out to AP2 except at service center appointments. AP1 got a mass rollout but AP2 has not yet, so it's perfectly normal that you're on 17.17.4. I am too!

If you really really want the latest update, some people have luck bugging their service center. Or rest in the comfort of knowing that there's probably a good reason why it's not rolled out yet, and your car will get it within a week or so of the real mass rollout.

Definitely take a look at the various views on EV-FW to help understand who is getting updates and how.

12. Allanf

Allanf Supporting Member

#12 Allanf, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Point well taken. 17.17.4 is working same for me as for others with the learning curve type limitations in heavier traffic and non-freeway driving. Willing to wait.