Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Solar and 4 Powerwall Project questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WSE51

Supporting Member
Aug 24, 2012
Park City, Utah
I am in the final pre-installation phase of a solar + 4 Powerwall project for my home. For those of you have already done an installation, I'd greatly appreciate any tips from your experience. I still have time to make minor modifications. Thanks.

I am in the final pre-installation phase of a solar + 4 Powerwall project for my home. For those of you have already done an installation, I'd greatly appreciate any tips from your experience. I still have time to make minor modifications. Thanks.

Are you asking for whole home or partial backup? In the case of whole home backup, it turned out it wasn't possible for my home so I had to quickly make some decisions on which appliances or circuits to leave off the backup panel. So just keep that in mind if it hasn't already been confirmed. Other than that, be prepared for no power for about 8 hours or so depending on the complexity of the install.

Last edited:
Commasign, I am doing partial home backup as we have way too many power needs for either the solar panels or the batteries to fully satisfy. Our installers said that only two Powerwall batteries can be put on a single circuit (according to their reading of Tesla's specs), and we are installing 4 Powerwalls, so we will have two distinct backup circuits running independently. If anyone has achieved 4 Powerwalls on a single circuit please let me know ,thanks

@WSE51 - I'm not an electrician, but my plans seem to indicate all 4 powerwalls are on the same circuit. But maybe the rules are different in different cities. We're in PG&E territory.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 2.23.43 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
it turned out it wasn't possible for my home so I had to quickly make some decisions on which appliances or circuits to leave off the backup panel.

FWIW I wish that when we had our house rewired we (or the Sparky - he surely should be aware of the need for such a consideration) had thought to group important circuits - so that in a powercut we could easily prioritise the circuits that the generator powers (yup ... Sparky was also asked to install a generator socket on outside of house and Grid/Generator switch-over)

Would now also be of benefit with PowerWall with/without generator in a powercut.

Instead of which we have to go around carefully turning stuff off until we get the load down low enough for generator to support.