Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New solar and Powerwall installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got one powerwall 2 installed and a 7.5 kWh solar setup (25 Trina panels at 300wH each). Just had the inspector come today and still waiting on PG&E to come and inspect so I can turn it on. Excited to see what I can do with it.

I ended up running an ethernet to the backup gateway and I'm really glad I did. I have more trust in it even though I have pretty good wifi around my house. I had them install the powerwall off the ground because I'm in a flood zone. East facing wall so at noon and later there is no sunlight on the powerwall.

Powerwall_2017_redacted.png
Solar_2017_redacted.png

That's interesting, I thought the Powerwall came with an inverter, I guess you can purchase it with or without. Wonder what that does to the price...?

Very cool installation, very professional!
From what I understand, the Powerwalls only output AC now. No more DC Powerwalls. So they have an inverter internally. The wall mounted inverter is for the solar panels. Maybe Powerwall 3 will have the capability of connecting solar strings directly, but given the variability of solar panel system sizes, maybe this won't happen.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
Is an exterior install common or done for a particular reason? Out here in the 110 degree summers I would rather mine be in my garage

Most of the PW2 that I've seen are installed on the outside with the exception of one where Elon used a forum members photos during the Q2 earnings. However, I think it depends on the location of the panels and if it's feasible for the installer. Both install options should be viable.

Is an exterior install common or done for a particular reason? Out here in the 110 degree summers I would rather mine be in my garage
In my case mine is mounted on an east facing wall. It only gets direct sunlight from the morning till around noon, so it won't get the full heat of the afternoon. Also in the rare case there is some issue with it and it leaks coolant or worse I'd rather it be outside than inside my garage. You can do it either way. If I were to get a second one, I would probably put it inside on the opposite side of the wall where my current one is.

FYI, about a week after install my powerwall has dropped from 27% charge to 8% charge. This is because I installed solar at the same time and can't yet actually use my solar panels until PG&E does the utility inspection. Nor can I charge the powerwall from the grid either.

I asked SolarCity and they suggested to turn the switch off and flip the breaker to the powerwall for now until the solar panels can be activated. They said it's not recommended to run the battery to zero for long periods of time, which makes sense to me. Interestingly enough my Tesla app still shows the powerwall online with 8% charge (or at least it's not obvious that the powerwall is physically turned off).

• Helpful
Reactions: D-egg-O
@Shygar, thanks for the update. I'm about to get my install in the next week.
I will probably be in the same boat waiting on my Utility inspection,

I'm getting 10.7 kw system installed with 2 PW's, This is something I'll ask the installers and appreciate
the heads up,

I'm getting 10.7 kw system installed with 2 PW's, This is something I'll ask the installers and appreciate
the heads up,
They did a 5 minute solar and a 5 minute battery backup test. See if they can let it run a bit longer to get more of a charge. Or see what they recommend because it will drain. Sounds like a nice setup!

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
@Shygar thanks for your post, nice system!
From what I understand, the Powerwalls only output AC now. No more DC Powerwalls. So they have an inverter internally. The wall mounted inverter is for the solar panels. Maybe Powerwall 3 will have the capability of connecting solar strings directly, but given the variability of solar panel system sizes, maybe this won't happen.
You can connect a Powerwall 2 "directly" to solar panels with micro inverters that output AC. Here is a nice discussion of the pros and cons of string inverters and micro inverters. Pros and Cons of string inverters v's micro inverters | Compare string inverters to micro inverters

FYI, about a week after install my powerwall has dropped from 27% charge to 8% charge. This is because I installed solar at the same time and can't yet actually use my solar panels until PG&E does the utility inspection. Nor can I charge the powerwall from the grid either.

I asked SolarCity and they suggested to turn the switch off and flip the breaker to the powerwall for now until the solar panels can be activated. They said it's not recommended to run the battery to zero for long periods of time, which makes sense to me. Interestingly enough my Tesla app still shows the powerwall online with 8% charge (or at least it's not obvious that the powerwall is physically turned off).
Can't you tell your PowerWall to charge at night when costs are lower and use that during the day when costs are higher? Power shifting would help you while you wait. I'm surprised your panels can't be on before PG&E comes to your home. I did my own 6.12 kW, 24 panel install with a SolarEdge inverter and once it was inspected by the city, they sent me confirmation that it was done to code, that was then provided to PG&E, who never themselves came to verify and I was granted my permission to operate.

the heads up,
Did my own install, not with PW's obviously, SolarEdge has a new inverter that has a EV charger built into it. Came out 8 months after I did my install. Just FYI.