Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New solar and Powerwall installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are nice looking flush mount panels. Who did your install and what kind of panels are those? Are they the new Tesla Energy panels?
Thanks. It was all Tesla. Panasonic HIT 325 panels. These are the panels they will be making in GF2; currently making in Fremont. I really wanted to use Solar Edge power optimizers, but I don't need them. I have no shading issues. I mainly wanted them to track the performance of each individual panel, but I also wanted a nice clean installation (i.e. less wiring). I'm not a big fan of micro inverters.

• Love
Reactions: Az_Rael
Did you end up with SolarEdge? I think mine is getting a Delta power Optimized system.
Initially, they proposed this Fronius inverter. I told them, no way. That thing is an eyesore. Went with the Delta inverters. I was really pushing Tesla to use Solar Edge's new HD wave inverters, because I really wanted a clean, compact installation. Unfortunately, the supply of the HD inverters is limited to Tesla. They are big buyers, and stock is still limited to them. I went as far as getting a quote from a solar distributor for the HD wave inverter(s), and then proposed to Tesla we deduct the cost of the inverters from our total system cost. That was a no go. Then Tesla came back with the Delta inverters, and that satisfied my criteria. I also ended up sizing up the system to account for when we get our Model 3. Also happens to use up the roof space better.

Can't you tell your PowerWall to charge at night when costs are lower and use that during the day when costs are higher? Power shifting would help you while you wait. I'm surprised your panels can't be on before PG&E comes to your home. I did my own 6.12 kW, 24 panel install with a SolarEdge inverter and once it was inspected by the city, they sent me confirmation that it was done to code, that was then provided to PG&E, who never themselves came to verify and I was granted my permission to operate.

Not yet. It will only charge from solar power as of now. I think the reason why they do it is you might have an older meter that isn't bidirectional. Mine should be so it should be straight forward. But I was told by SolarCity that PG&E has fined people in the past for turning on their solar before the utility inspection.

Who granted your permission to operate? PG&E? Because that's basically what I'm waiting for.

Just got an update from Tesla. Apparently the holdup is because the transformer on the pole connected to my house cannot hold the load of my 7.5kWh system... Anyone adding solar may want to verify this before they have their install done. Fortunately it doesn't look like I need to pay for this but they said it's going to take another 16 weeks before it's done.

I'm asking them if they can temporarily disconnect some of my panels to get below whatever threshold is on the pole. Hopefully that will be a good workaround until the transformer is replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: D-egg-O
Not yet. It will only charge from solar power as of now. I think the reason why they do it is you might have an older meter that isn't bidirectional. Mine should be so it should be straight forward. But I was told by SolarCity that PG&E has fined people in the past for turning on their solar before the utility inspection.

Who granted your permission to operate? PG&E? Because that's basically what I'm waiting for.
I bought my system from gogreensolar.com, filed for permits with my city, got approval to start install, did install myself (friend helped), had city inspector come out to check to code, got my permitted work signed off by the city, emailed copy of city approval of install to gogreensolar, they did all of my PG&E work and within 24 hours, PG&E emailed me my authorization to operate and my NEM agreement. Just had my 1 year on Oct 5. It produced 10.54 MWh, 1.14 MWh more than what they predicted, and 1.70 MWh more than I used. All that energy will go to my upcoming Model 3 in Feb-Apr, along with the free charging at work!!! I did the Solar Edge Power Optimizers as well. I don't think I realized that they were only needed if you had shading, which I do not. I do like that I can look at each individual panel production on my roof though. If any problems in the future, it is simple to know which panel.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
I noticed something else and I'm hoping someone with more technical expertise can help. I noticed my delta inverter is a '6.6' and shows 6600W as the continuous output power. My solar system panel-wise adds up to 7.5kWh. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or was I given an undersized inverter?

delta_inverter.png

Secondly, I talked with PG&E and found out why they are requiring a transformer upgrade. They said it's because of the powerwall. They said they are taking a worst case scenario where the 7.5kWh are being exported AND the powerwall is also exporting to the grid (assuming 5 kWh?). So they said the added total is more than the transformer will hold.

Interestingly they said that they will be installing a locking device on the powerwall so that I can use my solar alone before the transformer upgrade is complete (but I will not be able to use the powerwall until it's complete). Not sure how I feel about losing 6 months out of my 10 year warranty due to this (not to mention not having usage of it), but not sure what else I can do.

Secondly, I talked with PG&E and found out why they are requiring a transformer upgrade. They said it's because of the powerwall. They said they are taking a worst case scenario where the 7.5kWh are being exported AND the powerwall is also exporting to the grid (assuming 5 kWh?). So they said the added total is more than the transformer will hold.
PG&E is truly doing worst case assuming you can actually output 12.5kW = 52A @ 240V. My next questions are very technical. (a) Powerwall App not allow outputting to grid, correct? (b) Most electrical panels don't allow much backfeed (e.g. 200A panel = 40A backfeed), so your setup is special. Do you have an undersized main breaker? or a solar ready panel? I ask as PG&E is expecting a lot of generation from your house.

I noticed something else and I'm hoping someone with more technical expertise can help. I noticed my delta inverter is a '6.6' and shows 6600W as the continuous output power. My solar system panel-wise adds up to 7.5kWh. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or was I given an undersized inverter?

View attachment 254753

Interestingly they said that they will be installing a locking device on the powerwall so that I can use my solar alone before the transformer upgrade is complete (but I will not be able to use the powerwall until it's complete). Not sure how I feel about losing 6 months out of my 10 year warranty due to this (not to mention not having usage of it), but not sure what else I can do.
This is plainly ridiculous because the PG&E Battery interconnect agreement says that the battery storage device is not allowed to discharge into the grid, only power internal loads. Now, if they turned it around and said that it could draw more because you could charge your car and the PowerWall could charge from the grid, then maybe they'd have something to talk about. Alternatively, if they had a demand response program that would signal your PowerWall to feed into the grid, then maybe there's something to talk about. However, it sounds very fishy.

It is very common to install solar panels with more STC DC power than the inverter is rated for a number of reasons:

1. As long as you don't exceed the maximum DC voltage of the system, you can't harm the inverter.
2. The solar panel STC power rating typically does not happen in real life that often.
3. Even if the panels are capable of delivering more power than what the inverter can handle, the inverter will simply limit DC current to it's maximum rating to avoid damaging itself.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar and mblakele
So Tesla was supposed to come with PG&E yesterday, but PG&E is still holding up the process. They requested a "partial PTO" due to them being concerned the battery will dump electricity with the solar at full power (and my house not using anything). As of now I'm waiting on the discussions between Tesla and PG&E to convince PG&E it's safe to use with the grid, otherwise I have to wait the remaining 5 months for a transformer upgrade :(.

• Informative
Reactions: D-egg-O