Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New solar and Powerwall installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does TBC know if one is (standalone vs paired) storage to allow grid-charging? Or if one is taking the ITC which then requires 100%-only renewable charging?

Sometimes, it would be nice if Telsa is a little less black-box.
AFAIK, Powerwall setup only indicates if you have solar or not. In the USA, if you have solar, it will only charge the batteries from solar. Even if you waive off ITC or other incentives that require solar charging, I don't think Tesla provides a way for you to charge the batteries in a more flexible manner. I think the only way to charge from the grid is to tell the system that you don't have solar, but then it's backup and time shifting only.

AFAIK, Powerwall setup only indicates if you have solar or not. In the USA, if you have solar, it will only charge the batteries from solar. Even if you waive off ITC or other incentives that require solar charging, I don't think Tesla provides a way for you to charge the batteries in a more flexible manner. I think the only way to charge from the grid is to tell the system that you don't have solar, but then it's backup and time shifting only.
Okay, so TBC doesn't finally allow grid-charging. I somehow misread you as you meant EV charging from grid.

So time-shifting == manually playing with the reserve levels and flipping between self-consumption or backup modes? And this can also be manually "managed" via the API?

Okay, so TBC doesn't finally allow grid-charging. I somehow misread you as you meant EV charging from grid.

So time-shifting == manually playing with the reserve levels and flipping between self-consumption or backup modes? And this can also be manually "managed" via the API?

People have different desires for how they want the system to operate. Personally, I just didn't want it to discharge during Off-Peak. My solar is all generated during Part-Peak or Peak (except weekends), so that is the value I assign to that energy. With Net Metering, there is no sense discharging higher value battery energy during Off-Peak when you can buy it from the grid cheaper. Before TBC, I would set my Reserve higher than the current SOC at the end of the Peak time window so that the battery would stop discharging. Now that I have TBC, I don't have to do that. If you don't have TBC activated on your system, you can use APIs or third party utilities to automate it for you.

Reactions: NuShrike
can anyone give on update on where / how it's going for SGIP rebates? I have 2 PW2 installed (November '17) and and still in limbo for the SGIP check (Step 2).

No solar yet - need a new roof and deposited day 1 for Solar Roof. Still awaiting a call for site visit.......

can anyone give on update on where / how it's going for SGIP rebates? I have 2 PW2 installed (November '17) and and still in limbo for the SGIP check (Step 2).

No solar yet - need a new roof and deposited day 1 for Solar Roof. Still awaiting a call for site visit.......
Did someone tell you that you were in Step 2? Mine was installed with solar in Sept 2017 but I never got an update about which step I got into or what the status is.

Go check status for yourself:
SGIP | Resources

Scroll down to "Real-Time Public Report" in section 9. Download the CSV file, open in Excel, and then search for your SGIP reservation number. All the latest info will be there.
Thanks for the reminder. I found myself in there. Yay.

You can literally see all the people getting ripped off by their installer for the 2+ PW2s. The same installer isn't even charging the same price for the same number of batteries.

Interestingly, even in step 3 Tesla is only charging about $13K for 2 PWs.

Last edited:
Did you get a SGIP reservation number from Tesla? I don't remember getting that.

I got a SGIP reservation number, yes. Paperwork was filed by Tesla, and I was sent the reservation info directly.

CSE (the entity for SDG&E) has continually mucked up things for the reservation which we have to re-submit to them. I recommend keeping a CLOSE eye on your SGIP.

"ripped off" is relative when you're getting $11,800 back from SGIP in Step 1.
I wasn't pointing at you, and you didn't get ripped off.

But there's a lot of step 2/3 paying over $12K per battery. I see one paying $34K for one battery, step 2. Another paid $30K for two batteries, step 2, etc etc.

Somebody paid $35K for a 9kWh Sonnen system, and got a step 1 rebate of $1.7K. What?

As I've posted someplace else before, you can literally pick out which Installer to try to avoid.

I wasn't pointing at you, and you didn't get ripped off.

But there's a lot of step 2/3 paying over $12K per battery. I see one paying $34K for one battery, step 2. Another paid $30K for two batteries, step 2, etc etc.

Somebody paid $35K for a 9kWh Sonnen system, and got a step 1 rebate of $1.7K. What?

As I've posted someplace else before, you can literally pick out which Installer to try to avoid.
Agreed. There are definitely some crazy deals in the SGIP table. You can also see a bunch that have already been cancelled.

I actually used the SGIP submissions as leverage for my deal. I got the price down to a better level with my installer, LA Solar Group. They originally wanted ~$6k more than I saw in the SGIP submissions!

I know I end up paying more than all the tesla folks for batteries but if I can get my battery bought and installed in <6mo then that's a win for me.

It's not all about the dollars for me (or else I wouldn't even consider a battery!) but I wanted to pay for the privilege of (hopefully) getting it sooner.

LA Solar Group told me they had batteries ready to go in their warehouse, so no need to wait for tesla stock on power walls. That was the big selling point for me.

I got my confirmation for a step 2 rebate, so hopefully this all pans out.

Fingers crossed!

• Informative
I actually used the SGIP submissions as leverage for my deal. I got the price down to a better level with my installer, LA Solar Group. They originally wanted ~$6k more than I saw in the SGIP submissions!

I know I end up paying more than all the tesla folks for batteries but if I can get my battery bought and installed in <6mo then that's a win for me.

It's not all about the dollars for me (or else I wouldn't even consider a battery!) but I wanted to pay for the privilege of (hopefully) getting it sooner.

LA Solar Group told me they had batteries ready to go in their warehouse, so no need to wait for tesla stock on power walls. That was the big selling point for me.

Fingers crossed!
Do they really have batteries stocked up? Seems like this would be very difficult to do considering the demand for powerwalls.

• Informative
Do they really have batteries stocked up? Seems like this would be very difficult to do considering the demand for powerwalls.

We start my installation next week, so we'll find out soon!

My rep said they did have a few available when I first started the process and that was the whole reason I made my decision.

I'll definitely be raising hell if that's not the case!

Reactions: Shygar

Fingers crossed!

Ugh. Wish I had seen that excel file prior to completing the deal with my installer! I've been charged slightly higher than the average price that my installer has charged other customers. Wouldn't have minded squeezing a couple of hundred out of the overall price. Sigh. Still happy with the system and their work though!

My installer told me the same thing regarding the PowerWall inventory, and that was also a selling point for me versus paying less while waiting on Tesla to have inventory. Had my system installed within 3 weeks of finalizing it, versus Tesla indicating a possible 4 month wait for inventory.

Yes, many have. Some have had it for a month already. See this thread: Time-Based Control?

The article is a little misinformed. The software that supports the functionality has been out for a while, but Tesla is enabling it by batches. Mine was turned on last week. I believe any firmware version above 1.15 and app version above 3.3.6 supports it. My Tesla rep said they were planning to have everyone turned on by mid-month, but that date has slipped over time, so I would take it with a grain of salt.

• Informative