Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New solar install illinois

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schroeder0202

2019 Stealth/White/Black/20 inch Tsportline
May 8, 2019
IL
Got the panels installed today.
9.77kw system. 31 panels.
Panel install was 1 day.
Powerwall going in next and will be 2 days.
Coming back tomorrow to paint conduit black. Overall very impressed so far. Had two team of 8 people each out today.
20190828_165559.jpg
20190828_160734.jpg
20190828_151046.jpg
IMG_20190828_163134_813.jpg

I like the panel installation. The conduits, much less so. Especially the one that goes all the way around the gutter. I would not allow that on my house.
Conduit is part of any solar install. Either you can request they run line directly up thru the soffits and thru roof or outside gutter. I didn't want a inch hole drilled thru. Once the piping is painted black and grey won't even be noticeable. Tesla also does this for you. The other thing that seems to be deceiving is the skirt around the panels. They don't sit flush w the roof as all the tesla mfg pictures seem to show. They clearly doctor those pics. I honestly can't imagine installing some other companies panels w out them though. They totally complete the look to be refined and finished.

May I ask the following questions?
1. What is the price for your solar panels installed?
2. What is the price for your powerwall installed?
3. How many years will your payback be?
4. What is your average cost for your KW?
My payback is obviously longer because of powerwall which is not really needed in Illinois but I wanted battery backup instead of generator plus the additional rebate and tesla ended up giving me 1000 discount for doing both which pic doesn't reflect. The adjustable block prob in Illinois is crazy good and money comes right off the top w tesla which no other company offered. System has to be max 10k inverter for rebate though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190828-110200_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190828-110200_Photos.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 133
How did you get Tesla to sell you this? I put a deposit down for two power walls in Chicago nearly three years ago and I can’t even get Tesla to return a phone call.
Sounds like you got lost in the system or something weird. They have tons of powerwalls in stock in the Chicago area.
Call my contact there. My install was super easy and done within 30 days.
Mike felber
(702) 680-6772

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Can you please share additional details regarding pricing as to how you qualified for such a large rebate. I would sign on the dotted line tomorrow for such a great smoking deal. I have a proposal from them for a slightly larger system with no Powerwalls and no rebates for $10,000 more than what you have here. Thanks

Can you please share additional details regarding pricing as to how you qualified for such a large rebate. I would sign on the dotted line tomorrow for such a great smoking deal. I have a proposal from them for a slightly larger system with no Powerwalls and no rebates for $10,000 more than what you have here. Thanks
Your not in Illinois.... we have state rebates.

Schroeder0202, how is your system doing a year after install? How is the energy production, reliability? Do you think the Powerwalls were needed given that we have Net Metering available?

Is the basic premise for us folks here in IL that a Powerwall is not needed given we have net metering? I've lived in my house for 14 years and only had a few power outages that lasted at most 2 hours. I'm close to pulling the trigger here given the credit and block program for IL. Interested in hearing if others in IL have installed a Powerwall.

Thanks.

Is the basic premise for us folks here in IL that a Powerwall is not needed given we have net metering? I've lived in my house for 14 years and only had a few power outages that lasted at most 2 hours. I'm close to pulling the trigger here given the credit and block program for IL. Interested in hearing if others in IL have installed a Powerwall.

Thanks.

The powerwalls really have three benefits:

Time shifting your usage. If your utility has TOU or Time of Use rates where you pay more for electricity at certain times then the powerwalls can help to make sure that you use very little (or no) power during the expensive times.

Local storage of your own energy production. This is good if you don’t have net metering and you will lose or get very little for any power that you put into the grid.

Power outage protection. This will allow your house and solar system to keep running during a power outage. It’s worth noting that if you have solar and no powerwall then the solar system will shut off during a power outage, even if it happens in the middle of the day while the sun is shining.

But as long as you don’t see a need for any of those benefits, then you don’t need to spend money on powerwalls.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In and isjka