Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Solar & PW system not coming out of standby

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 34KW Tesla solar system with 8 PW's installed this week and it was working when the installers left but the next day the system didn't come out of standby. One of the installers came out yesterday morning and was able to get it out of standby but it still wasn't working fully (on two of the three PW+ only 1 MPPT was working so production was extremely low (.1kw and 1kw). The installer said it should come out of standby correctly today but it did not. He said Tesla is having an issue with some PW+ where only one MPPT was working and I'd have to wait for them to fix it in the software.

I originally placed this order in July of 2020 and Tesla kept delaying it or submitting documentation to the power company/county incorrectly so it took forever....now I'm having these issues. It's extremely frustrating.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get it out of standby so I can at least produce something?

Last edited:
I had low production on a few days and I shut the inverters off for a minute. When turned back on the production went back to normal. I don't know if this is any help since my system always starts up.
Do you just turn them off from the power button on PW2 or is there another way to turn off the inverters?

Edit: I just turned off all the PW2 & PW+ for a couple minutes and that did nothing. I'm guessing there is another way to turn off the inverters....I'm just not sure what it is.

Okay, so if I turn off the the inverters from the breakers, they come out of standby for the remainder of the day. One of the PW+ is still only producing .1kw though because of the MPPT issue which I'm guessing is going to take Tesla forever to find a fix for. Meanwhile the 3 PW's connect to it are losing 1-2% per day (it's down to 15%. Should I be concerned about it getting to low? I know its not good for my Tesla cars with 2160 batteries to get low and stay low....

My question is how long can it sit at 5% when it is shut down without being bricked? Who knows how long it will take Tesla to figure out this "software fix" which sounds like BS to me.
5% is only 675W, but it is probably more like 10% than the app reported 5%, so maybe 1350W. My PWs have a parasitic drain of about 150W/day right now, but that is with a much higher charge level, so you might be seeing less at a lower charge level. Can you access the REST API and check to see what level really is?

1) Find the IP address for the PW+ on your network and go to it in your browser
- https://##.##.##.## where the ## is the IP address
2) You will likely get a warning about the security certificate being invalid, but click on the advanced options and then "proceed"
3) Log into the PW+
4) Using the same address open a new page to api/system_status
- https://##.##.##.##/api/system_status

You will get a bunch of text for the status of the PW+ (probably all of them, but I don't know as I have PW2 and a Gateway2). Look for nominal_energy_remaining in the text and the number afterwards is the amount remaining in Watts.

Reactions: preilly44
How long was the actual wait from the point all paperwork was in and approved to the time they were able to install? All of our paperwork has been in and approved (electric, permits, etc) since late June and we are still waiting to hear back when they are able to start the install

How long was the actual wait from the point all paperwork was in and approved to the time they were able to install? All of our paperwork has been in and approved (electric, permits, etc) since late June and we are still waiting to hear back when they are able to start the install