Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Solar with Powerwall install, but PW stuck on Standby

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since on the day of Solar & Powerwall install, due to high winds, they installed 2 PWs. Two days later Solar was installed. Solar is working and any excess is being sent to grid. Still pending City inspection and Southern California Edison PTO.

Currently my 2 PWs are stuck on Standby. Batter is getting depleted from 21% now down to 11%. Tried many effects:
1. Logging into TEG WiFi, started the system. On/Off many times
2. Performed diagnostics many time and all is being passed (green)
3. Did whole house power down and power up

but it is not taking it out of Standby.

1st image showing my the app.
2nd image from TEG WiFi with an exclamation indicating configuration issue. I went through reconfigure, and no changes were made and it looked it didn’t find any error. Neither did diagnostics.
FE546A6C-217C-432A-816E-F57F7C37D0AD.jpeg
66EA9DF1-9E47-42F5-AB7A-B622CFD35189.jpeg

amazing how many installs have reversed or messed up CTs. How hard is it?
Mine were installed correctly, but then reversed after they had to make a change from inspection. Took me several weeks to convince them that they were not right. Mine were not installed by Tesla.

I went back, while it is sunny at 2:15 PM, Solar stopped producing and I am pulling from grid. I can’t go to reconfigure because I only knew is when you click on the yellow exclamation icon, it would prompt asking to reconfigure.
This is what I see now

Attachments

• FE1991E1-4075-4492-B99B-7172DF182F52.jpeg
    FE1991E1-4075-4492-B99B-7172DF182F52.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 172
I went back, while it is sunny at 2:15 PM, Solar stopped producing and I am pulling from grid. I can’t go to reconfigure because I only knew is when you click on the yellow exclamation icon, it would prompt asking to reconfigure.
This is what I see now

You need to call tesla and ask them to re configure it. They can configure that remotely. Like @power.saver mentioned, house draw shouldnt be negative so its fairly obvious its not configured properly. Call tesla and ask them to remotely re configure it.

Thanks. I’ll be calling them tomorrow morning. I have sent a text message to my Tesla project person and an email to who advised me of my install appointment.

Why are you waiting until tomorrow morning? Neither your tesla project person nor the person who advised you of your install appointment are the people who are going to assist you with this. All they will do is forward your concern to energy support helpdesk. Just call the energy support help desk yourself (its there for customers to call).

877 961 7652

I am not sure what the OP's issue is. Clearly there is a problem. But I don't think it's because his Home CTs are wired backwards. It may be that the solar is not provisioned yet (PTO)?

The reason I state this as I have a circuit that was a Home load circuit and is now a solar circuit. When the solar is producing more than all the other loads in my home I don't see a negative load but a zero load. The remaining negative load gets added to the solar output. I am trying to get Tesla to resolve this but have decided not to put to much pressure on them until my PTO is approved because who knows what else might come up.:eek:

@jjrandorin, thank you so much for the phone number. I called Tesla with phone number listed for scheduling email, and they said Support line is closed, will open on Monday. Obviously, a wrong support number. The number you provided worked.

I called 877-961-7652 and in few seconds, Tier 1 support person answered. He had me go through power down (Breakers: Solar 40A, PW1 & PW2 combined 80A, and Disconnect 200A), wait for 5 minutes, maybe a bit more, brought everything back up.

He then informed me, he can’t see my CT in order for him to flip. He definitely see it as a problem during installation. He things that perhaps it may not have been setup/setup incorrectly on the Backup Gateway 2 panel.

Since this is brand new install, he is escalating to Level 2 to look into and if needed, dispatch a technician to my house. Someone will get back to me in 3 to 5 days.

He told me since my batteries are depleting fairly fast, I should put it on Backup-Only mode to get them charged as soon it starts working. I had it on Custom with peak and off-peak times. He mentioned it’s premature to do that on a new install as it takes a while for system to understand the usage. It has an algorithm, and system needs to learn. He advised after my PWs are charged the do Self-Powered for at least week to two, and then switch over to custom.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
No problem. I think If I was in your shoes I would also put it into backup only mode so that it would charge if they are able to fix it remotely. I dont think you need to do self powered mode (once its working properly) for a "week or two" but self powered mode is the easiest one to see what its doing.

Our install also had the CTs reversed and had similar issues. It's actually very easy to fix if you are comfortable taking off a service panel. You don't need to touch any wires, just the clamps that ring around the feed wires.

@Laketime, see Post #8, I took the panel off and took few pics.

Also, Level 1 said even though you are generating solar energy, he is not seeing that either, also points to meter reading probably due to CT.
But based on Tesla App logs, it does not show Solar production, whereas in fact there was today.

5D08377B-B617-4FE1-B1BD-C8E980F7FDED.jpeg
60509194-EFB8-4BCA-8A70-AF3D7E7BB593.jpeg

Solar was not installed on 19th & 20th, so it is blank. Solar was installed on Friday, 01/21/2021. Less energy production from 8.16 kW due to rain and cloudy weather. But it definitely produced, but it doesn't show on Tesla App.

upload_2021-1-24_18-46-35.png

Numbers shown on the app do not reflect truth. It tells me metering is off, and all probably tied to the CTs. Disregard Excel “Savings” column, as it is not accurate. Because From Grid contains Pluses and Minuses i.e. it sums up, where when it is positive I am drawing from the grid and when minus it is pushing to grid, hence you can’t add the column. For +, you are charged, so I will accommodate that as separate columns.

Last edited: